Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Rubber Squeeky Tiki Bicycle Horn

Pages: 1 4 replies

OK they're cheesy, classically "untiki" (even possibly ripped off from a Funko Bobblehead), but these rubber, squeeky bicycle horns still cool.

Made in Japan. There is also a Frankenstein, a skull and an Elvis bike horn, each retails for $5.00 and can be ordered here: http://www.stuff-o-rama.com/toys.html

The best way to describe their sound is the same as a squeeky dog toy with a handlebar mount. Suckers are loud, too! Not for everybody's tiki taste here but fun all the same.

Sorry, but that's not un-Tiki to me, it's actually classic Tiki Revival Poly pop. This design is neither garishly colored, nor too far off from it's Polynesian forefathers, and the fact that it is plastic, and the Tiki concept is used for a silly utilitary item is exactly what makes it POP. Poly Pop Tiki IS cheesy...but GOOD cheesy. Un-Tiki is something that is too far away from its source, and shows no understanding of it. This is just as much Tiki as the plastic "Tiki Tote" cigarette box on page 241 of the BOT. As you state, it's fun.

S

Funny, it's the same design as the (old?) partylights that hang on my bar.

I have the big Frankenstein head horn on my emerald green Schwinn. Looks like a recast from a 60's Herman Munster doll... but I love it so much!

You know, morbidboy, I think you're right on the recast of Herman. I remember having a similar doll as a child (I was a huge Munsters fan, too bad I don't still have it). This Japanese company has a history of "borrowing" from others. On a second look I noticed the Elvis is from a rear view mirror hanging toy, the skull came from an old fighting puppet. I bought them sight unseen, over the phone. I thought they looked familiar when I unpacked them.

bigbro, thanks for the thumbs up!

Pages: 1 4 replies