Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Lee's Latest: my first Chainsaw-carved Tiki

Pages: 1 11 replies

Aloha Folks!

I thought I'd give chain-saw tiki carving a try, so I found the rattiest, broken down piece of Palm I could find and had at it. It must have been out in the Vegas sun for years, 'cuz it was light as a feather. Cutting into it was like a hot knife thru butter, and it basically became an exercise in controlling the distintegration of the log. Powder and fibers shot up everywhere, and big hunks of rotted wood just kept falling away. Here's what I ended up with after taking the torch to it...

It's just shy of 5' tall and weighs about 30 pounds. Not great, but not too bad considering I had to do what the log "told" me, and that it was the first completely chain-sawed carving I've ever done. I'll try a newer log next time!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-05-06 00:14 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-05-07 00:39 ]

H

I like it, has a vintage feel to it.

It's cool! Looks like you dug it up from some old apartment building in the San Fernando Valley! instant Classic!

M

nice sawing,and I see that you have nice examples to inspire you.
keep posting

greetz Limo

C

Keep plucking away TikiLee, did you do that tiki in the right rear as
well?
I still get a chuckle when I think about you tossing your carving in the
fire at Coontiki. This does have a real "vintage" look to it.

R
Ripper posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 1:54 PM

Thats pretty cool !

Hey,
Thanks Guys! It was an intersting experiment. Conga, I didn't carve that one, but I did all the finishing: killing the mold and scraping off the dead stuff, burning it, applying 2 colors of stain/varnish, and white washing the teeth ever so lightly. Someday, Conga. Someday...

Now my newest collectors item looks more to me like a tiki! what mattered to me was a good frown,carved nose and an all wood carving.

H

It's cool! Looks like you dug it up from some old apartment building in the San Fernando Valley! instant Classic!

I agree! Old school rules!!!!

Hi Lee, I found your post when I looked up Oregonetiki. She is my niece and just joined tiki central. What a coincidence that we were just in Las Vegas with you and of all the threads she chose yours!

I think your carving looks really vintage, good job, Wendy

my girlfriend and I both agree. Good start! Keep at it!

B

TL, This guy is excellent looking from that piece of decayed palm wood. That stuff is Hard to carve because like you say it's just controlling the chainsaw but without any feedback.
Find a Better log and do another one.

Pages: 1 11 replies