Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Palm Springs Tiki Meet-up

Pages: 1 10 replies

This Saturday, a group of us on May 12th will be traveling from Palm Springs to the following Tiki places: Trader Vics, Purple Orchid, Puka Bar, Tiki Ti, and Bahookas. My question is, are there any tikiphiles here in the Coachella Valley who regularly meet-up at say Hawaiian Bills?

Before going to the Bev Hills TV, check out this thread to see if you believe it's worth your time.

Thanks, in fact, I did read the above thread extensively, and yes, it was helpful. After reading it, my friends and I were torn as to whether we should go to TV; however, having frequented there many times before in the past, we thought we would use their Mai Tai as a baseline comparision of Mai Tais at the other places we would visit later in the day.

The thing is, TV's is still the only place I know where you can ask the Bartender to make the Mai Tai using the "old" formula, that is, made from scratch in a manner similar to Vic's original. I am hypothesizing that the bartenders there still make a scratch Mai Tai upon request. (They always did so for me in the past).

So, as to establish the baseline, off we go to TV's.

SF

On 2007-05-07 10:26, telescopes wrote:
My question is, are there any tikiphiles here in the Coachella Valley who regularly meet-up at say Hawaiian Bills?

Hi telescopes, Stacey(my fiance) and I hope to be moving to Palm Springs in the near future and I'm sure Hawaiian Bills (or the Reef Bar as I still like to call it) will be a regular hangout. Now if we could only sell our home here in Phoenix, damn housing market!!

Swamp Fire wrote:

I'm sure Hawaiian Bills (or the Reef Bar as I still like to call it) will be a regular hangout.

Swamp Fire: You'll love it here. I think when you see how the Reef Bar has cleaned up and improved, it will be much easy to see it for the improvements and salute it as Hawaiian Bills. The drinks are better and the food has really improved - Authentic Poly. I hope you make it out soon. I know many in the Tiki community were upset with the owners of Caliente Tropics for a past misunderstanding, but now we have wonderfully colorful luaus and a great resturant on what can only be thought of as a return to a South Pacific dream. Where else can you get your spam mosibi.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-05-07 17:53 ]

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-05-07 17:59 ]

Thats absolutely right. With a classic 5 foot tiki so proudly displayed to the right of the original A shape roof entrance, Hawaiian Bills will happily serve you a mai tai worthy of the same ones consumed so many times before on the grounds.

Worth stopping in, for the tiki of Palm Springs is still alive...

On 2007-05-07 20:35, sandiegodan wrote:
Thats absolutely right. With a classic 5 foot tiki so proudly displayed to the right of the original A shape roof entrance, Hawaiian Bills will happily serve you a mai tai worthy of the same ones consumed so many times before on the grounds.

Worth stopping in, for the tiki of Palm Springs is still alive...

Hawaiian Bills http://www.hawaiianbills.com will be having their last Luau for the Season Saturday, May 19th.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-05-07 22:04 ]

Sandiegodan, are you going to be at the Luau at Bill's? Who else is in? Is there a way to identify fellow tikiphiles who are at the Luau?

Out of curiosity, is there anyone on the boards who frequents Toucan's in Palm Springs? The reason I ask is I am wondering if the people here see it as an authentic Tiki Bar.

(Pardon the number of edits... I've been TWI... typing while under the influence of two Mai Tai's, one with key lime juice and the other with Persian limes... someone had to test it out to see which was better.)

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-05-08 20:59 ]

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-05-08 22:12 ]

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-05-08 22:14 ]

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-05-08 22:17 ]

bump

and gind? So we wait. C'mon Palm Springs tikiphiles, where are you? Are you in the elite meadows of Indian Wells or hang'in in La Quinta waiting for the new Hawiian Bills to open up? Cat City to Mecca, let the hage begin and make the trip on over to say hello.

An update to any Coachella Tiki friends: Hawaiian Bills offers Mai Tai Monday every Monday - $3.00 Mai Tais all night long with 2 for 1 dinner entrees. It sounds like the making of a great tradition.

Pages: 1 10 replies