Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"Top Of The Isle" Deshler Hilton- Columbus Ohio

Pages: 1 14 replies

UT

Found this little gem this weekend. Kinda hard to make out but thats what it says. I can't find a thing on this place. Tikiskip has heard of the hotel but not the "The Top Of The Isle". Hula girl on the top leads me to believe it had at least a tropical theme. Any help would be appreciated.

Nice! ...though kinda chaste :) News to me, but Ohio is a state rich in Tikiphiles, something should come up.

W

Aloha Uncle Trav,

Yes I remember this place (growing up and playing in the city as well) This property was one of the top of the line business hotels downtown. The "Finer" hotel properties generally all had themes of some sort or the other in the "60's" and early "70's) era. The Hilton was the place to stay in the city (along with the Christopher Inn) The property eventually started to fade a bit because of the outgrowth of the city into suburbia.The top of the building lounge and restaurant's had the Polynesian theme due to the success of the Kahiki(IMO) out on the East side. The theme changed quite a few times throughout the years (as they are known to do). I used to do some work in the downtown Hotels and I will see if I can get a hold some
of of the people I used to work with up there for anymore info (Musicians are known to end up with a thing or two from the places we work)
My regret with this place (as with the Kahiki) is that I didn't steal more (errrr....collect more) memorabilia at the time...

Let you know what I find out...But a fair warning to you ...if there is any more good stuff to collect out there Tiki Skip will find a way to end up with it in his home. He is the King !!!

Aloha
Joe /Haole Kats

T

HA HA!! Some of it gets by me Joe. Hey joe do you remember this one?
It reads Waikiki restaurant 4101 west Broad street.
Banquet facilities to 500. So it was big.

W

Yes Braddah I do remember it. I was young (my parents made the rounds with me in tow) Which does explain I guess why I ended up in the business I'm in. It also helped that I grew up on the west side and never very far from West Broad street.
Do you remember the Everglades lounge and restaurant on West Broad (which was across from what later became Westland Mall???) Ah... the very cool good 'ole days.
Aloha to Barbara for me and I hope to see you both you at Hukilau...

Aloha
Joe/Haole Kats

UT

Thanks Whollycat. Love it, Love it. Can't wait to see what you can dig up. It would be great to have a story to go with the artifact. Thanks for the information.

Just found this thread.

I will post my menu from this place over the weekend! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Trav,

Nice swizzle.

I recently picked up this nifty menu from the Top of the Isle.

Hula serving girl graphic on the cover.

And Tiki Tibits on the inside.

It was only a diner menu so no idea if they had Tiki drinks in ceremonial vessels.

DC

T

"Do you remember the Everglades?"

Sorry Joe, but yes, seven years to reply.
I was too young for the Everglades, BUT when you own a restaurant
the regulars you have mostly older sit around and talk about other
restaurants and this is when I heard of it.

On "The Top Of The Isle" AND the Waikiki restaurant I have heard nothing,
and seen nothing just like Sergeant Schultz but unlike Schultz I have looked and looked.
There are MANY tiki collectors here that also do the same so there must not be much out there.

But to hear nothing as well it's kinda odd.
I think I did hear that Berrnie Altebauch did work on "The Top Of The Isle"
But who knows.

We can hope that someone out in webworld sees this in a search and posts info.
But then even the old TC folks are not adding things they come up with in mostly
an effort to keep people who sell tiki not to know what to look for, or it's value.
So it may all go the way of the bennie baby and then maybe we can find items in
a garage sale for 50 cents.

THANK YOU Dustycajun for adding the menu!!!

UT

Great menu indeed. Let's hope an interior shot shows up one of these days.

A ad with the restaurants at the Deshler, including the Top of the Isle.

DC

WOW!! They had a Tahitian Islanders Revue too!!!

Spotted another menu type from the Langerman's Luau in Atlantic City.

Strangely similar to the menu from the Top of the Isle restaurant at the Deshler Hotel in Columbus, Ohio!

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2019-09-30 16:11 ]

T

I think I remember that image on a Pineapple recipe book maybe a Dole thing I forget.
But have seen that before.

Columbus used to be so cool.

Nice find Dustycajun!!

Man, everybody ripped off everybody when it came to Tiki Graphics!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 14 replies