Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

To Tiki Oasis or Not to Tiki Oasis?

Pages: 1 44 replies

TT

Well i'm feeling a little unsure about Tiki Oasis this year, It seems as though most of the tiki stuff is gone from the venue and may not be worth my $3000 in airfares plus accom, (it's not just a simple little weekender exercise when you gotta come from Australia). I kinda wish i had come earlier in the year and caught some of the other events and shows etc. It now seems that tiki oasis is be held at "just a motel"... and though i'm sure it will be fun, I can't help but feel that the main reason for my trip is now a lesser priority on my itinerary.. a bit sad really..

On 2007-05-08 19:24, Tiki Trav wrote:
Well i'm feeling a little unsure about Tiki Oasis this year, It seems as though most of the tiki stuff is gone from the venue and may not be worth my $3000 in airfares plus accom, (it's not just a simple little weekender exercise when you gotta come from Australia). I kinda wish i had come earlier in the year and caught some of the other events and shows etc. It now seems that tiki oasis is be held at "just a motel"... and though i'm sure it will be fun, I can't help but feel that the main reason for my trip is now a lesser priority on my itinerary.. a bit sad really..

Butterflies!?

Oasis is all about the people!!!!

Chill.

It will be ARRRRRRRRRRRsome!!!

( don't let the Bitch-ing get to you)

C
croe67 posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 5:13 AM

Ben's right - Oasis is ALL ABOUT THE OHANA!!!!!!!

& since not many of us probably get Down Under too often, come on over to Tiki Oasis - it's a lot of fun with a lot of great Ohana :D :D :D

TM

Plus Disneyland is close....

CL

I highly recommend a trip to Disneyland. It's not just for kids. It's very early 19th century nostalgic Americana...mixed in with a little 1950's.

Back to Oasis. It IS about the Ohana! And it sounds like many things are still intact regarding the hotel.

If you're going to make it over, there is SO much to see in that area beyond Oasis. Tiki and non-tiki. One could probably spend a month in Southern CA and still not see all there is to see.

Might I recommend, and just a suggestion, since you're coming all the way over, taking a $49 Southwest Airline hop up to Northern California for a few days and take in the tiki sites up here as well? 3 Trader Vics, 4 other great Tiki Bars, Trader Vics resting place, etc, many tiki artists and icons (Otto himself) -- who often show up on Weds TC night at FI

If you want to pursue adding onto your trip beyond Oasis, and would like suggestions, just let us know. :)

H

Even in its current state, the former-Hanalei has more tiki than the Caliente Tropics (it is spread out a bit, though, it's a much bigger hotel). The Caliente Tropics does have better architecture, and the Reef Bar/Hawaiian Bill's is all tricked out now, but that wasn't the case for most of the Oasises (Oases?).

We didn't think we were going to be able to make it to Oasis, but we've recently been thinking that we just don't want to miss it. After all, if we decide to go, we know we won't regret it, but if we don't go, we might.

Hope we'll see you there, Tiki Trav!

TF

For my part, I couldn't help but think about how cool it would have been if the events were held in the courtyard / pool area and how nice it would have been if I wasn't fighting off a chill by the pool. All of that has changed! It should be awesome to have the pool area and everything integrated into the TO7 scene. I truly believe that despite the Hanalei's choice to decimate their dining area, this is still a very promising venue! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!!

T.F.

S

This sort of hits on some of my own thoughts lately.

There are a variety of events out there. And there seems to be a few major points to each:

A) A classic or neo-classic tiki bar experience
B) Entertainment along a certain line
C) The ohana

You sort of start out with A and wanting to get folks there to share in that thing we so dearly love. And you want C there. And you start figuring out what B you can get so the most C shows up. But then, by the time you get it all going, you have somewhat clobbered A by having it chocked full of people. In order to have really good B you have to appeal to a lot more than just C.

My thought lately is that I would really like to have an event with just A and C. Now, this happens all over the country on various night regularly and inregularly as locals congregate or out of towners drop in. So, how do you make an event that is just A and C work on a big scale?

That's the dilemma. I want to figure out ways to have an event at a tiki bar for the fans. Maybe there will always be that as you have a big event and the ohana get together regardless. More tiki bars for all of us to visit regularly where ever we are.

J

On 2007-05-09 12:24, Swanky wrote:
There are a variety of events out there. And there seems to be a few major points to each:

C) The ohana

You sort of start out with A and wanting to get folks there to share in that thing we so dearly love. And you want C there. And you start figuring out what B you can get so the most C shows up. But then, by the time you get it all going, you have somewhat clobbered A by having it chocked full of people. In order to have really good B you have to appeal to a lot more than just C.

The guys at Forbidden Island recently produced an event that very successfully incorporated A, B, and C! It's not impossible. You just need the right place, the right drinks, and the right people putting it together.

TB

Geez, for $3000.00, i would personally consider going to Cook Island, Hawaii, Bali instead.

TBird.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 1:35 PM

On 2007-05-09 12:43, JenTiki wrote:

C) The ohana

The guys at Forbidden Island recently produced an event that very successfully incorporated A, B, and C! It's not impossible. You just need the right place, the right drinks, and the right people putting it together.

Doing A, B and C I have done a few times. But, when 700+ people show up for your party and you realize you don't have any idea who half of them are, and you have to have a night of entertainment in a hotel ballroom to get that turnout, when all you really want to do is enjoy the Mai Kai with all the ohana and revel in it, well, there ought to be a way to do that. Without being wealth and just paying out of pocket to have Don Tiki perform on the Mai Kai stage for you and 250 of your friends...

A

On 2007-05-09 13:12, Tiki Bird wrote:
Geez, for $3000.00, i would personally consider going to Cook Island, Hawaii, Bali instead.

TBird.

Roger that!

But if you are still leaning on coming to San Diego for Oasis, there are other things to see and do in Southern California to make your trip worthwhile. Others here have mentioned Disneyland -- but you can also see Bali Hai, Mr. Mai Tai, Humphrey's and other lesser known places in San Diego (and there's the Australian Pub in Pacific Beach in case you feel homesick). And if you venture north, besides Disneyland there are places in the L.A. area to visit such as Tiki Ti, Tonga Hut, Purple Orchid, Oceanic Arts, Puka Bar, etc.

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 1:48 PM

GROG was on fence about going to Oasis, but GROG leaning more towards going.

H

I've also decided that it's getting a little silly that I still haven't ever been to the San Diego Zoo or Sea World, so we'll try to roll that into our trip.

Trav, there's just a TON of stuff to see in Southern California, you won't be wanting for tiki stimulation.

On 2007-05-09 13:48, GROG wrote:

GROG, darling, I'll make it worth your while...

J

On 2007-05-09 13:54, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2007-05-09 13:48, GROG wrote:

Um, Haole'akamai ... have you forgotten that your spouse is a TC member too? :roll:
Wait ... on second thought ... maybe he'll make it worth MY while to attend. :D

oh, was that out loud?

T

Tiki Trav - weren't you at Oasis last year? I thought we met. If you saw the SD sights last year, I'm with Tiki Bird spend the money on a trip to the Cook Islands or somwhere really exotic. Oasis is fun, but not sure $3000 fun.

TB

If your planning on going to any of the amusement parks in California, tack on another $500.00 if you have a large family.

TBird.

UB

If the hotel rooms are too expensive, you can always crash on Otto's floor.

Hey Trav,

I can definitely understand the $3,000 bucks side of the story...kept Mrs.Mojo and I from attending Hukilau so far....2 tickets to Florida from California and so much else happening right here in California!

On the Pro side of Tiki Oasis the hotel is still pretty cool and more Tiki than most, there's the Bali Hai, the music, the room parties, the drinks and all the TC Ohana!

If you need more reminders I can post pictures again! :D

What's more is that Bahooka is celebrating their 40th Anniversary the following weekend if you're able to stay awhile!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24003&forum=17&9

[ Edited by: Dr.TikiMojo 2007-05-09 14:57 ]

TT

Thanks everyone for your input, I am still 99% attending Oasis (yes i was there last year), but might require some tips as to what else is on, as i travel alone i am free to go anywhere really but it can be hard logistically to find all the spots/gigs around. Last year i did Oasis, Bali Hai, Mr Tiki,Tiki Ti,Lucky Tiki and otto's in nyc. this year i am only visiting California (& a quick visit to vegas hopefully)& plan to fly in the day before Holden's tiki farm bash and the bahooka gig sounds good which would be towards the end of my trip, Disneyland is checked off my list and was awesome last time. San Francisco would be cool as it seems to have lots of tiki stuff..
Thanks again for the help and any tips/ideas/dates/venues are much appreciated.. Keep em comin!
Cheers..

Humuhumu is right. The Hanalei may have gone through another "rinse cycle" but is by no means down for the count! Still plenty of good tiki mana left in the old joint. Put that together with a dazzling array of talent, events, vendors and of course...da Ohana and I think this might turn out to be one of the best Oasises ever. Plus it's in August and the pool will be totally happenin' (like the Caliente)

MT

Tiki Trav,
Since you hit a good portion of Southern California last time, I would highly recommend that you check out Northern California this time. We have a lot to offer up here, what with 3 Trader Vic's restaurants, Forbidden Island, the Conga Lounge, Kona Club..... Plus, you could check out the city of San Francisco as well. Although both Southern CA and Northern CA have quite a bit to offer, they are pretty much different in climate, atmosphere, and attitude so you will notice a difference.

Hitting Holden's Big Ol' Tiki Bash party at Tiki Farm is a great call! If you are going to do that and Tiki Oasis, then just those two event alone will be worth it, not to mention the other travelling you have planned. The Tiki Farm party is on July 21, and Tiki Oasis is Aug 16 - 19, so I was curious as to how much travel time you planning on spending out this way?

Vending Poolside this year!

( how the F#!* are they gonna get Zack's tiki's in there??!!)

MT

My thought lately is that I would really like to have an event with just A and C. Now, this happens all over the country on various night regularly and inregularly as locals congregate or out of towners drop in. So, how do you make an event that is just A and C work on a big scale?

That's the dilemma. I want to figure out ways to have an event at a tiki bar for the fans.

Swanky,
My thoughts are that you need to have the event at a place that generates a lot of the Aloha spirit. Like the Mai Kai, even though they already have the entertainment already built in. I would still go to some event at the Mai Kai, even if they didn't have a dinner show, because the place is awesome, and I would enjoy hangin' out drinking with friends in the Molokai bar. How big of an event are you planning, something as big as Tiki Oasis or Hukilau?

Whether it's a big place or a smaller place, it's going to have to be pretty cool, like the Mai Kai or Forbidden Island. The place with the cool vibe is what is going to draw in the people.

On 2007-05-09 20:34, Mai Tai wrote:

That's the dilemma. I want to figure out ways to have an event at a tiki bar for the fans.

Swanky,
My thoughts are that you need to have the event at a place that generates a lot of the Aloha spirit. Like the Mai Kai, even though they already have the entertainment already built in. I would still go to some event at the Mai Kai, even if they didn't have a dinner show, because the place is awesome, and I would enjoy hangin' out drinking with friends in the Molokai bar. How big of an event are you planning, something as big as Tiki Oasis or Hukilau?

Whether it's a big place or a smaller place, it's going to have to be pretty cool, like the Mai Kai or Forbidden Island. The place with the cool vibe is what is going to draw in the people.

Ahem. Something is in my throat! ahem!!

Spwanky,

There will be a time when it's just a few still standing,

and we'll be there!

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 10:39 PM

On 2007-05-09 13:54, Haole'akamai wrote:

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-05-09 22:45 ]

grog, if your not packing your bags now you really are just a big dumb caveman.

[ Edited by: Cannibal Sam 2007-05-10 00:02 ]

S

Well, to some extent, Tiki Eyeball is just such an event. There are things going on entertainment wise, but, it's all a good excuse to hang out with Chicago and mid-west ohana at a tiki bar celebrating its 40th anniversary. I think it will be a good time. May be a lot smaller than Hukilau, but, it will be a great time with the ohana and with Witco and Mai Tais...

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 7:55 AM

Pro’s

This will be the biggest Oasis of all time.

The whole hotel will be Ohana, and it’s a huge freakin’ hotel. Pretty much anything goes, all day, all night.

The Blue Hawaiians, Tiki Tones, Mai Kai Gents, the Martini Kings, King Koo Koo and more are all playing. Has anybody wondered – are they staying at the Hanalei too?

Daytime, there’ll be a three-day Tiki Native Carving Village out in the parking lot. 20 carvers from all over gonna chop chop chop.

The vending booths are sold out; they’ll surround the pool. So will the music and entertainment. You can float in the pool, drink, and watch the show at the same time.

If you don’t want to do that, you can watch Ali’i float in the pool, drink, and watch the show at the same time.

The hotel will be stuffed with burlesque gals there for a good time.

Room crawl lasts as long as you can, every single night.

Those Eyeball guys.

The Tiki Excursion Bus by Marc Menkin will be running at least two days, it’s going to hit all bars and Tiki shops this time.

A meet & greet launches the thing at the Bali Hai. Dinner, cocktails, and the Martini Kings.

At last count, there are at least 28 Hawaiian and Polynesian restaurants and bars in San Diego. There are more than 10 shops specializing in Hawaiian and Tiki merchandise. That doesn’t even count the small places, just the big ones. Stay an extra day, do a few.

World-class Coronado Beach becons. So does the great snorkeling at La Jolla Cove, which is the end of a deep underwater canyon.

If things get out of control, the hotel may not let Otto book next year. That means have fun while you can, this may not happen again this size and this sure ain’t no practice session for something better later.

Otto hasn’t been promoting it too much on TC cause I think he doesn’t want to scare the pants off the Hotel Suits.

Con’s

Mommy may not let you go.

I think it's time for an Oasis Roll Call?
SoccerTiki, Rugby Matt, & I will be there Thursday through Sunday

On 2007-05-10 07:55, Cammo wrote:
Pro’s

If things get out of control, the hotel may not let Otto book next year. That means have fun while you can, this may not happen again this size and this sure ain’t no practice session for something better later.

I'm a little mystified. Aren't you able to have fun and not let things get so out of control we won't be invited back?

Maybe Mommy shouldn't let you go...

On 2007-05-10 11:02, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2007-05-10 07:55, Cammo wrote:
Pro’s

I'm a little mystified. Aren't you able to have fun and not let things get so out of control we won't be invited back?

Maybe Mommy shouldn't let you go...

Rumor has it that Tiki Oasis will NOT be going back to the 'Hanalei'... So LIVE IT UP!

C

"LIVE IT UP!"

Ready.

yeah...make it a goal not to be invited back!! they screwed us with the remodel...now it's time for some payback!! let the games begin!!!!

...and don't forget to shit the bed before you check out!!!!

Speaking of which...parties...not bed excrement, has anyone heard anything about room party organizing? Maybe it's too early?

On 2007-05-10 11:44, Coco Loco wrote:
Speaking of which...parties...not bed excrement, has anyone heard anything about room party organizing? Maybe it's too early?

That's Shel of The Pacific's Department. She will be posting about it once Summer Starts :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-05-10 12:29 ]

Yep, suspected that. But given Shel's last post was nearly a year ago, wasn't sure if she was still involved. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

On 2007-05-10 12:28, WooHooWahine wrote:

On 2007-05-10 11:44, Coco Loco wrote:

That's Shel of The Pacific's Department. She will be posting about it once Summer Starts :)

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-05-10 12:39 ]

I

Yep the "Eyeball guys" will be there. But the question is what are we doing THIS year?
AHhhhhhhh, WHAT indeed!

Bring that lovely hooka again you cultish eye freaks!! And that swanky bar set up. Man, that was some good times.

I just wanna see my pals, make some new ones, sip cocktails, purchase far too much tiki paraphernalia and get funky with the Mr all weekend long. Sounds like fun to me! How can ya go wrong with a recipe like that?

Well, if Shel doesn't do the room crawly-thingy. I'm willing to offer my organizational skills.
I'll be more than happy to humbly take the helm. This kind of thing is right up my alley, I'm an organizational freak!

U

Could some wise T.O. veteran give me a ball-park figure for what I should budget for this event (minus the inevitable tons of Tiki-swag that I'll end up buying!)? My beloved spouse is not quite the "Poly-pop-aholic" that I am, and she's curious about how much all of this is going to set us back.

i wonder what the hotel suits think about passin out on the lobby floor. i love gettin pissed and wakin up in random parts of hotels. Caesars palace security once told me that they did not take kindly to non guests sleeping on benches in the casino floor. What gives? Cant Wait!

I

Hookah? Indeed!

Pages: 1 44 replies