Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

local california source for glass floats for movie

Pages: 1 10 replies

O

Hey,
working on a movie and we may need to buy some glass fish floats, preferably not the newer, brighter, thinner repros, but the thicker used floats that have pontils. ebay will be too slow a choice, so if you know of a local nautical or antique store that has them please respond. the closer to los angeles the better. I am loaning some of mine for reference, but am looking for for a few varied in size (preferably the smaller ones), color, and shape for them to use.
they do not have to be tied either, loose is fine.
Thank you

Oceanic Arts, in lovely Whittier, CA.

O

Does oceanic Arts carry the small floats? Every time I have gone there they have had none, repros, or the 48". They also have none of the small ones in their catalog. I will call Bob, but if you have any other leads i would appreciate it.

see below

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2007-05-10 06:57 ]

Try Virgi Import in L.A.

They are new balls, but if you are in the Motion Picture Biz...........

you should be able to antique them up a bit!!!!?

Ohhhh!!

and Tell Virgi I said hi!

p.s.

Don't tell anyone else!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a dimwit. you never said LAMPS - you said just regular floats. Sorry.

3 spots I can think of that RENT antique floats (all to the movie biz):

Tally Ho Marine surplus - in San Pedro

Louis Equipment - Wilmington

Ship's Trader - Woodland Hills(?) - this guy is a TC member and tiki aficianado. He's supplied decor for the last couple of tiki oasis's main stage.

As far as purchase, they're few and far between if you can actually find a place that has quite a few. And if you do, be sure to post it here!

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2007-05-10 06:56 ]

benson imports in orange county california will have what you need...

Amy

Thank you for the suggestions, have not looked up benson imports in a while. Will need to buy, not rent, because they will be used overseas. unfortunately the new ones have the bright colors, so aging them down will not necessarily give you that light blue or green we are looking for, but rcan not be choosers.
they did a photo shoot with a few from my home collection today, and loved them. they are going to be used in a pretty unconventional way, so it should be interesting. they also may want to get ones already knotted, so a quick ebay hunt may have to occur.
thanks again

[ Edited by: tikitanked 2007-05-10 19:41 ]

There is a shop on Westminster, very close to Benson's called Coral Reef. They sell Wet Suites, Surfboards, Tropical Furniture, and so on. They have a good amount of Tiki stuff, and they did have floats. (When I was last there they had vintage and new)

The float I got there was $9.00 cheaper than Benson's, and heavier. Benson's 'probly has a better selection tho.

Anyway, it's really Worth a stop. Coral Reef (The same shop is also called "Islands Hawaiian Furniture") 714-894-3483
14161 Beach Blvd, Westminster, Ca.

Good luck

thanks everyone. Oceanic Arts does indeed have the modern repro small floats, 2"-5". picked up a bunch and some other nautical goods for the film, while getting the Oceanic Arts mugs.

Pages: 1 10 replies