Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Providence RI TIKI please help me remember.

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hello all:

I have done a great deal of searching, including Dogpile, Google, friends and yes this site. I apologize in advance for this shot in the dark. When I was growing up in Rhode Island, I used to go into downtown Providence Rhode Island in the 80's, and there was a Chinese restaurant that had glass doors as if you were entering a 1970's department store. The main entrance brought you into a very large room with your typical Chinese dinning room (lots of booths (green) back to back). But, if you went down a long flight of stairs to the left of the main dinning room, there was a wonderful combination bar and smaller dinning area with blowfish lights and tiki masks with lights behind them. It had an odd, almost american name and it was near the Biltmore Hotel, and what is now the main city bus area. Sorry to be so vague, but I loved that place.

Also, does anyone remember the MIRAMAR HOTEL in Santa Monica CA in the 1970's? The lobby was full of Tiki !!

On 2007-05-10 12:13, bodotikiman wrote:
Also, does anyone remember the MIRAMAR HOTEL in Santa Monica CA in the 1970's? The lobby was full of Tiki !!

Our very own Bamboo Ben can answer that for you.

J

bodotikiman welcome aboard!!! Good to see another fellow Rhode Islander on TC. I'm not familiar with the place you're talking about in Providence. I know the area but don't recall the Chinese restaurant. Then again, in the 80's I was still underage (well for bar drinking anyway;).

johnman.....so cool, thank you for the reply ! I hope I am not crazy.

bodotikiman

P

There was a place called the Luau Hut, that was on Eddy St... could have been that.

On 2007-05-10 20:10, bodotikiman wrote:
I hope I am not crazy.

Welllll...things are not looking good in that respect. You landed on this board, after all!

But do not worry, a lot of folks that I talked to during my research felt foggy about their memories. Tiki had disappeared so completely, that a great forgetting had taken ahold of the populace, and many could not remember if they had really experienced a facet of it, or if it all was just a strange dream....

Thanks to all, It was the Luau Hut at Lukes Chinese. Any pictures ?

Bodotikiman

J

Here's some pics I managed to dig up from a Google search ("luau hut" providence):

Johnman,

Thank you for showing me the way. I went to Amazon.com and listened to Combustible Edison, they sounded cool. I am sorry that I missed them, (spent ten years in the Bronx). On Radio 365 I listen to Vegas Vics and am a great fan of Tipsy.....Cheeers !

P.S. went to South Seas on Post Road (Warwick) today, Almost negative TIPSY factor and Cool Aide flavored Mai Tai. Bummer, and no, I am not at all a snob.

J

No prob man. Glad to be of assistance.

Do you mean China Sea? If so they strip that place of any decor over a year ago. It wasn't all that great when it had about a 1/2 Tipsy rating but it was better than zero. The drinks were ok when I went, though not very memorable.

You'll have to join in on one of our adventures sometime.

Keep an eye on this topic for brainstorms for the next adventure:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16548&forum=4&614

The next HUGE planned event is the Northeast Tiki Tour:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23775&forum=4&69

Only six seats left!!!!

Sorry, I did mean China Sea ! Thanks for the links. I will be at the Hukilau this June, Can't wait !

J

You lucky SOB. I so wish I was going this year. Last year was great. The events, presentations and the Mai-Kai were awesome. I'm hoping to go again in '08 - we'll see!

Pages: 1 11 replies