Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My tiki bar (please critique)

Pages: 1 40 replies

L

I thought after a year of work (as time and money permitted), I would show my bar. I am open to critiques and recommendations. I am going to get some more lighting, especailly the required puffer fish lamp. But now I need suggestions of what to improve. Let me know (more pics to follow)

Thanks

Lingam

[ Edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:45 ]

L

Another shot

[ Edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:46 ]

[ Edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:48 ]

L

Yet another

[ Edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:47 ]

L

Last one

[ Edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:48 ]

M

I am lovin the walls and ceiling. The bar itself could use some boo -n- matting treatments. Some cool retro stools and voila!

Great start to the bar and great bottle selection.

Some period furniture, some pictures, a few more tikis and some float lamps would certainly add to it.

L

On 2007-05-11 06:57, McTiki wrote:
I am lovin the walls and ceiling. The bar itself could use some boo -n- matting treatments. Some cool retro stools and voila!

I have been thinking of doing something like this

but I don't want to permanently afix anything to the bar. Maybe I can create a modesty panel with the matting and screw it onto the face of the bar. I am certainly looking for stools I think some vintage ratan ones.

Lingam

M

I can sympathize with not wanting to alter the original for whatever reason. (See my store pics) This is what creative genious is for. Using 1/4" plywood, you can not only cover the existing bar, but, create a larger appearance to it as well!

Good lookin space so far.

You can't go wrong with Rattan stools!

The mentioning of more Tiki influences and the addition of poly influenced lighting are dead on.

I was focussing purely on the main eye catchers first, but since the walls already have matting, I went bar-side first as it was not adorned yet! (Nice selections by the way!)

Mahalo and thank you for sharing

McTiki

S

Well, it's very plain so far. Obviously you need stuff on the walls. I would maybe hang a spear from the record shelf supports and maybe run some directed lights on a dimmer under those too that add a little light to the wall stuff. You just have to break up that space. More stuff, period, but more stuff hanging.

On the bar, why not permanently attach? At least do some bamboo framing.

I'd also add cross "beams" to your ceiling and use some jute to tie them together for the island look. I would also put large bamboo or even just some weathered logs in the corners. You have a lot of hut look going, you want to continue the illusion. Are you in a hut? Make it look like it all over.

Nothing a few years of collecting and creating can't make great.

L

On 2007-05-11 12:51, McTiki wrote:
I can sympathize with not wanting to alter the original for whatever reason. (See my store pics) This is what creative genious is for. Using 1/4" plywood, you can not only cover the existing bar, but, create a larger appearance to it as well!

Good lookin space so far.

You can't go wrong with Rattan stools!

The mentioning of more Tiki influences and the addition of poly influenced lighting are dead on.

I was focussing purely on the main eye catchers first, but since the walls already have matting, I went bar-side first as it was not adorned yet! (Nice selections by the way!)

Mahalo and thank you for sharing

McTiki

It doesn't show well but I have several tikis the record shelf as well as around the jukebox. I am looking to carve a tiki god that I have designed to be placed on the left of the jukebox. But I need to freshen up my carving skills before that happens. I appreciate all the comments. Please keep them coming.

Lingam

L

On 2007-05-11 13:03, Swanky wrote:
Well, it's very plain so far. Obviously you need stuff on the walls. I would maybe hang a spear from the record shelf supports and maybe run some directed lights on a dimmer under those too that add a little light to the wall stuff. You just have to break up that space. More stuff, period, but more stuff hanging.

I'd also add cross "beams" to your ceiling and use some jute to tie them together for the island look. I would also put large bamboo or even just some weathered logs in the corners. You have a lot of hut look going, you want to continue the illusion. Are you in a hut? Make it look like it all over.

Alas, a plain tiki bar. Oh no! :) I plan on putting two tiki masks (back lit from inside) on the long green wall to help break up the space. I do like the spear idea with lights, thats really cool.

The reason I don't want to permanantly attach anything is, I hand built the bar and if I ever decide to change the decor (not that I think I will mind you) I do not want to damage the bar. It is all red oak so its not cheap to repair. :)

I appreciate your ideas and suggestions. If you are ever around Nashville let me know and you can come have a couple drinks with us. :)

Lingam

L

The Bar

ST

I have a couple of comments:

I love the look but it needs more"stuff" to make it a little more intimate.

You have too much liquor, you should either send some to me or invite me over. This will help declutter your shelves. :wink:

very good suggestion for the liquer problem, Surf.
hi Lingam- great start on the pad. what about some (or a lot) of split bamboo and matting or grass on the juke? some heavy double sided tape would secure them without any permanent damage. more stuff/tiki/poly art is definatly the first thing, though. again, awesome start. definatly the perfectly sized space and layout. cheers!

Looks great so far!

You did a great job on the bar, I can see why you don't want to ruin it. You might just hang some tapa on the front of the bar and you could hang some tiki masks or something, and light it up? Just a thought...

Great job on the room. We look forward to the next update!

why not make grass matte covered panels for your bar and use velcro to attache them?..that way you won't be putting screw holes in the bar. in fact, forget the velcro and build a one piece mdf cover that fits over the existing bar, like a shell...that way, if you ever want to change it, throw the facade away...or if you want to keep it, just screw it to the existing bar and call it done.

..looks like you got some wasted space under the bar....you should put another level of shelving above where the booze is.....you may not be able to store more booze, but it's a good place for glassware...

S

On 2007-05-11 13:17, Lingam wrote:

On 2007-05-11 13:03, Swanky wrote:

Alas, a plain tiki bar. Oh no! :) I plan on putting two tiki masks (back lit from inside) on the long green wall to help break up the space. I do like the spear idea with lights, thats really cool.

The reason I don't want to permanantly attach anything is, I hand built the bar and if I ever decide to change the decor (not that I think I will mind you) I do not want to damage the bar. It is all red oak so its not cheap to repair. :)

I appreciate your ideas and suggestions. If you are ever around Nashville let me know and you can come have a couple drinks with us. :)

Lingam

You're in Nashville? I am there fairly regularly. My sister lives there. I was at the flea market there a few weeks ago and found nothing at all. Either there is nothing or someone has come through and grabbed it all early.

Why do you have the shelf with the records so close to the ceiling?

I would suggest putting another shelf below it that goes from one wall to a bit more than the half-way point, and then another shelf the same way from the other wall. it would give you two shelves to hold taller stuff in the corners, and three shelves to display from in the middle.

But listening to me is not the best idea because I drink.

Lots.

Personally don't like the green. Tan or dark brown. The green doesn't flow with the room.

Except for that, a good start. Bars should never be complete, always added to.

L

On 2007-05-12 09:42, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..looks like you got some wasted space under the bar....you should put another level of shelving above where the booze is.....you may not be able to store more booze, but it's a good place for glassware...

The pic from behind the bar is old. I actually did put a shelf under the right side for glasses and I am going to put a wine fridge on the left. The middle will be open for storage and misc bartending things.

Lingam

L

On 2007-05-12 09:40, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
why not make grass matte covered panels for your bar and use velcro to attache them?..that way you won't be putting screw holes in the bar. in fact, forget the velcro and build a one piece mdf cover that fits over the existing bar, like a shell...that way, if you ever want to change it, throw the facade away...or if you want to keep it, just screw it to the existing bar and call it done.

Thats a good idea. That may actually be the route I go.

Thanks

Lingam

L

On 2007-05-13 12:57, Chip and Andy wrote:
Why do you have the shelf with the records so close to the ceiling?

I would suggest putting another shelf below it that goes from one wall to a bit more than the half-way point, and then another shelf the same way from the other wall. it would give you two shelves to hold taller stuff in the corners, and three shelves to display from in the middle.

But listening to me is not the best idea because I drink.

Lots.

Shelf height was a practical matter. If the shelf were any lower then the drunk people coming down the stairs would be in danger of clocking their head on the shelf. I originally wanted it about 6 inches lower, until I realized what would happen. I might add another shelf, but the green wall is where I am going to hang a couple of tiki masks that have lights in them, so I will have to see after I do that. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Lingam

L

You're in Nashville? I am there fairly regularly. My sister lives there. I was at the flea market there a few weeks ago and found nothing at all. Either there is nothing or someone has come through and grabbed it all early.

Yeah, there isn't much in the way of tiki there. I sweep through about every month and look and I haven't found much. Most of the flea market is the "as seen on TV" stuff and counrty craft stuff. shoot me a message next time you head this way, My wife and I could meet and go to the Omni Hut and then back to our place for some drinks.

Lingam

L

On 2007-05-13 22:10, Lake Surfer wrote:
Personally don't like the green. Tan or dark brown. The green doesn't flow with the room.

Really? You don't like the green? Most people that have seen it really like it, plus it adds a bit of color to the room. Don't you think that a whole room that was neutral colors would be a bit...well dull? I would appreciate your insights. :)

Lingam

H

Lingam, you are doing a great job. Maybe you could change some of the existing furniture with some rattan or 50's pieces. Maybe one of the walls could have tapa cloth with bamboo matting around it, (you could buy the fabric). And some artificial tropical plants with red lighting on them, to set the mood right. Maybe some plastic tropical plants?

L

On 2007-05-14 07:14, hiltiki wrote:
Lingam, you are doing a great job. Maybe you could change some of the existing furniture with some rattan or 50's pieces. Maybe one of the walls could have tapa cloth with bamboo matting around it, (you could buy the fabric). And some artificial tropical plants with red lighting on them, to set the mood right. Maybe some plastic tropical plants?

Yeah the furniture is the next thing to change. I am looking for the right pieces to use. I like these barrel chairs in the ScotTiki's Moai Lounge

Of course if I find the right rattan ones that would be good too. I am going to get some plants and some tapa. The tapa will go on the small wall on the left of the jukebox. You can't see it from the pics, it is about 2.5 feet long, but it is the perfect place for tapa. And I might put some on the bottom of the long shelf as well. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Lingam

On 2007-05-14 06:54, Lingam wrote:

On 2007-05-13 22:10, Lake Surfer wrote:

Really? You don't like the green? Most people that have seen it really like it, plus it adds a bit of color to the room. Don't you think that a whole room that was neutral colors would be a bit...well dull? I would appreciate your insights. :)

Lingam

For me the walls are just walls. It is what you put on top of them that counts. Weapons, paintings, masks. The wall is sort of the canvas to me, whether that be paint or tropical wall coverings. You build on top of that and the wall becomes neutral, but still part of the overall room. I went with a reed fence lauhala combo divided by carved chair rail...

Its your bar, so do what makes you happiest. :)

On 2007-05-14 07:14, hiltiki wrote:
And some artificial tropical plants with red lighting on them, to set the mood right. Maybe some plastic tropical plants?

Plants and vines really add an interest to the bar, and really give it that tropical feel. You can even work with vines to make it appear that the jungle outside is trying to get in.

You don't have to break the bank either on silk plants or plastic. Craft stores like Michael's and JoAnn's have a ton of stuff to work with. And both have weekly or bi-weekly coupons that take 40% off of one item. I save up coupons and make big plant purchases with them.

L

For me the walls are just walls. It is what you put on top of them that counts. Weapons, paintings, masks. The wall is sort of the canvas to me, whether that be paint or tropical wall coverings. You build on top of that and the wall becomes neutral, but still part of the overall room. I went with a reed fence lauhala combo divided by carved chair rail...

Its your bar, so do what makes you happiest. :)

First off, you have a beautiful room. I agree on the plants and some more of the decor. I am still working on that part. That's why I asked. :) I will take a look for some more stuff at Michaels to see what I can find. Thanks :)

Lingam

T

Lingam:

IMO

1. I WOULD cover the bar front with some rattan Tiki cover, even if temporary.
    Light rattan bar chairs with the dark stained bar too much of a contrast.

2. You need a Tiki lamp & other Tiki stuff on the bar, I like what you've done
    othrewise in the room so far.

3. You may want to consider displaying less period LP's BUT Tiki frame the ones
    you do put up. Good Luck!

Thortiki

L

On 2007-05-15 13:56, Thortiki wrote:
Lingam:

IMO

1. I WOULD cover the bar front with some rattan Tiki cover, even if temporary.
    Light rattan bar chairs with the dark stained bar too much of a contrast.

2. You need a Tiki lamp & other Tiki stuff on the bar, I like what you've done
    othrewise in the room so far.

3. You may want to consider displaying less period LP's BUT Tiki frame the ones
    you do put up. Good Luck!

Thortiki

Yeah, I think I will cover the front of the bar with cabana matting and a tiki mask. That should help with the tikiness. :)

Thanks

Lingam

H

You're off to a good start, Lingam. In my opinion, anything white is distracting and just doesn't go with the vintage tiki bar vibe. I would replace the white outlet covers and light switch covers with something less distracting. Here's some handcarved bamboo and tiki covers you may be interested in, they're a little on the cheesy side but they're still better than white/beige.

https://www.longboardhouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=436&osCsid=2ebfce0d1b6bcf8833f4f9ad99bf5273

OR--you could just cover your existing ones with adhesive backed grass cloth type stuff.

http://www.designyourwall.com/store/Beige-off-white-grasscloth-c-92.html

Also-I would do something with the wide open painted wall areas, preferably cover with tapa. You can make your own using home-made stamping blocks carved from foam. I did it here (scroll down about mid page): http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20343&forum=18&start=45&74
I did mine on the actual walls but you could also do it on some sheets (dyed a color other than white) and hang them on your walls.

Keep pluggin' away at it, can't wait to see the finished space.

L

On 2007-05-17 07:54, surf-n-turf wrote:
You're off to a good start, Lingam. In my opinion, anything white is distracting and just doesn't go with the vintage tiki bar vibe. I would replace the white outlet covers and light switch covers with something less distracting. Here's some handcarved bamboo and tiki covers you may be interested in, they're a little on the cheesy side but they're still better than white/beige.

https://www.longboardhouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=436&osCsid=2ebfce0d1b6bcf8833f4f9ad99bf5273

OR--you could just cover your existing ones with adhesive backed grass cloth type stuff.

http://www.designyourwall.com/store/Beige-off-white-grasscloth-c-92.html

Also-I would do something with the wide open painted wall areas, preferably cover with tapa. You can make your own using home-made stamping blocks carved from foam. I did it here (scroll down about mid page): http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20343&forum=18&start=45&74
I did mine on the actual walls but you could also do it on some sheets (dyed a color other than white) and hang them on your walls.

Keep pluggin' away at it, can't wait to see the finished space.

Good suggestion on the switch plates. I think I will pick some of those up. Thanks

Lingam

G

Ugh, forget that. If you're going to buy some switch plates, get some good ones from Crazy Al. http://www.tikimania.com/docs/covers.html

Hi Lingam

Properly you hat many suggestions.
I like your bar wherry much it is looking good.
May bay a nice Tiki statue in a corner?
But when your open let me now.
I like drinking Malibu rum mixed whit cola.
Greetz Limo

E

Great start!

I would suggest that you make good use of the collection of vinyl covers and hang them properly on the wall using something like these: http://www.rockartpictureshow.com You can cover the empty space on the green wall and break it out with them.

The green works just fine, you just have to hang some decorations, plaques, masks and some prints will also do the job.

But leave the shelves for your tiki mug collection and small tiki's and display the records proudly.

The bar also needs tikification, good stock of booze, but it needs to be mixed with some decor as well.

You are on your way my good man.

M

The juke box does it for me! Enjoy your space!

ST

I have to also give a shout out to the jukebox. You may be interested in the recent auction posted in the tiki marketplace for a bunch of surf guitar records.

P

Aloha Lingham.
You asked for it and they gave it to you.

When I posted pictures of my bar I got so many suggestions that it cost me about 400 pearls to hook it all up.

But now it's spetacular.
Although never... quite... finished.

Looks good.
Eventually Bamboo Ben will make his way to this thread and yell "LAYERS" at the top of his voice.

I would definitley hang much more on the ceiling, such as glass floats, vines, netting, puffer fish, tapa lamps, bamboo lamps, etc...

TBird.

Pages: 1 40 replies