Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Finding palms to carve S.W. Fla. ?

Pages: 1 1 replies

I have taken up carving recently

and I have run out of palms to carve. this is a sad thing.
The local landfill does not allow for removal of palms brought there ,anti"scavenging" law or something.
You can have it after they shred it into mulch though. I suppose there is logic in there somewhere.
But scavenging seems to be the only method available for this S.W Florida carver. I feel so ....dirty.

I am considering less murky methods than clandestinely targeting recently expired and remotely located palms and
liberating them early sunday mornings to a greater glory than free compost at the land fill. There are dangers there and you have to make sure you know who's land your messing with and getting permission is a bonus and advised.
While fit, my back is begging for an easier run of it and I would prefer to sleep off Sat. night MaiTais on Sunday morning.

If any other carvers out there have suggestions I would welcome them. Where are you guys getting your trees?

The ones I have carved mostly came from Hurricane Season 2005 and where pretty easy to come by just driving around with the trailer.
I have considered asking the county parks and recs and the local state park rangers for permission to clear pre-selected and approved trees for removal or find out what they do, if anything, with dead palms. I have also considered studying some arborist resources, upgrading my trailer, chainsaw and ropes and starting a side job offering palm tree removal.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Just look thru the yellow pages under "tree care", etc. Call a couple tree companies, and you'll find one that will let you stop by when they are cutting down a suitable palm. (It's up to you to tell them what a 'suitable palm' is.) They may even help you load a couple pieces in your truck.

Here in SoCal, they have to pay by weight to dump the trees in the landfills, so they tend to happily give the stuff away!

Pages: 1 1 replies