Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Converting garage over to tiki room/bar

Pages: 1 2 replies

After much agonizing over whether to re-invade and overrun our newly remodeled living room with the bar and tiki collection, my wife has suggested that until we add our addition on to the back of the house I convert the garage over to a "temporary" tiki room.

I am a couple years out on the addition and am tired of storing my collection on overcrowded shelves and in boxes, so I am going to take her up on this suggestion.

My questions to you all; has anyone attempted this before and if so, what do I need to know before moving forward with this. My primary concerns are heat, cold, dust and the like associated with having this is a pseudo outside area.

Suggestions please?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and apparently more so in my garage)!

B

I have converted 1/2 my garage into a spare room, its not a bad idea at all.

Good points:
Probably has water/drainage available
No roofing worries
Easy to add to
If make mistakes or imperfections, its the garage....
Isolated

You can add a few walls a s a shell, and keep some of the garage as garage.

Make sure you keep the self closing fire door into the house in tact--
build
Build all walls up to the ceiling, the heavier the sheetrock, the better sound& fire protection.
You may want to "fur" the floor up higher on sleepers rather than keep concrete
PM me if you have any technical questions,

On 2007-05-14 07:06, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

My questions to you all; has anyone attempted this before and if so, what do I need to know before moving forward with this. My primary concerns are heat, cold, dust and the like associated with having this is a pseudo outside area.

Suggestions please?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and apparently more so in my garage)!

Hey there Psycho Tiki D!

I can't imagine that your garage could possibly be as old and decrepit as mine!
Ours is at least 50 years old, no sheet rock, lotsa bugs and leaks and I want to convert ours over to a Tiki Bar also!

I would say for hot Sacramento days and a more "tropical" feel add a Palm Frond style ceiling fan, cold weather -insulate or a space heater, dust -pretty much happens inside or out....fewer openings less dust.

I have a new nail gun, not much experience but a lot of drive and work for Mai Tais so let me know if I can help or get you anything else you need? :wink:

Mojo

Pages: 1 2 replies