Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

WAITIKI - New album is here! Info on 5/23 CD release party, Tampa tour coverage

Pages: 1 18 replies

W

Okonkuluku all ye villagers!

It's finally time to announce our brand new record - literally! That's right, "Rendezvous in Okonkuluku" (RIO) is at the press and will be released on 5/23/07 (Yup, a Wednesday) at our old standby, the Milky Way in Jamaica Plain. Joining us will be the middle-eastern sounds of ZilZALA (zilzala.com) and the "Triple-S" exotic WAITIKI Wahine dancers, Shakti, Sarah, and Samarra.

The Wednesday CD Release will be followed up with a 12" vinyl release (limited edition print, including a bonus track and different artwork). Eventually, the full album will be on iTunes as well. You can PRE-ORDER the CD now ($15 coconuts) online via PayPal/Credit Card too.

PRESS RELEASE: http://www.waitiki.com/cdrelease
CD INFO: http://waitiki.com/rendezvous-in-okonkuluku.cfm

TAMPA TOUR COVERAGE:
Tampa , FL was a blast last week. We played a great show at Skipper's Smokehouse which was off the hook - a great "down by the bayou" kinda hang. The next day, we participated in the awesome Tropical Heatwave festival put on by WMNF radio - a great community station with lots of local listener support. The southern hospitality was great (mahalo to Randy Wynne and Lindalu especially)! The entire trip was topped off with a killer feast at the newly-named "Rusty Key" tiki bar in Pablus' backyard. Delish kau-kau accompanied a great grog selection of Concubines, Planet of the Apes, and Scorpions - all served in Pablus' collection of approved containers (see photos). TikiCentral in the house!

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30459236@N00/
Bradenton Herald newspaper article: http://www.waitiki.com/press.cfm

Please come hang with us on Wednesday, 5/23/07 at 9pm and we'll see you in Okonkuluku!

Mahalo,
WAITIKI
http://waitiki.com

Exotic Tiki-tainment from Polynesia and Beyond

P

This CD is remarkable.
Very much in a class by itself.
The songs, the musicianship and the recording itself are right on the money.

It only cost me some roasted pig meat, about 8 thousand grains of rice and some raw fish.
Oh yeah, rum.

It was worth every bit of it to be one of the first to experience it.

Drank Sumatra is my new role model.
OKONKULU!!!

J

I can't believe I'm actually going to be able to make the CD release party! I have a company outing in Boston and dinner following so I'll already be in the neighborhood (well at least closer than trekking from the Isle of Rhodes).

See you guys next week!!!

Pablus - nice job on the Rusty Key:)

It's on vinyl too!!!! :)

Will you have some of these at the Hukilau?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Looking forward to seeing you Johnman!

If there is any way to have vinyl ready for Hukilau, we will do everything to see it through. Right now, we are just focused on having the CD ready for next week!

Stay tuned here for updates.

B

Sweeetness!!!

I'm on board for this one as well. Not gonna be in the area, but I took thursday off from work!

See ya there!

OKONKULU!!!!!!!!!

J

Bargoyle you really have your priorities straight. Nice work man.

B

Bargoyle needs thursday off. Too old to play on a school night.

Found this out after going to midnight show of Spiderman3 on thursday (1st show) a few weeks back. 6 am comes at you quick! And I wasnt even drinking.....that much.

There was a time when I could drink all night, sleep for a few hours, work, and then be right back at it the next night. Those day, sadly, are long gone.

Just wait till the Tiki Tour man. I bet I'm not the only old fart who needs a nap at some point during that all day orgy of booze.

See ya in JP!

B

I pitty the fool who doesnt buy the new Waitiki album!!

Now quit that jibber-jabber and go buy it.

Seriously though, the new album is friggin amazing.

Great work Waitiki!!

P

I just listened to this one again yesterday while I was working at the house.

You can always tell a great album when your favorite keeps switching with every other listen.

I'm curious as to where the bar was recorded behind Drank Sumatra's voice.

it's the "Molokai Bar" at the "Hotel Okonkuluku". Where else could "Drank Sumatra" sing????

P

Ahhh, of course.

Welcome to TC, Brother Cleve.
Excellent job you did with our friends. Mahalo.

You guys are masters at what you do... "Charred Mammal Flesh" is a true gem. I'll be getting "Okonkuluku" shortly...

The album owes so many mahalos and okonkulus to Cleve, Sam Gambino, and everyone else who helped us out. I think anyone who has yet to receive the album will find that our production values are pretty high, and Cleve sure made it clear during mixing and mastering what the standards are for true exotica. And, the artwork/illustration is truly amazing -- we all have Sam to thank for that. You might be interested to know that the photography was all done for Waitiki — no stock photos here (not for the CD, and not for the vinyl) ... the model is none other than Sherry Shaoling of Don Tiki fame, and photography by Jason Goodman. I'm really proud of this release!

I forgot to mention the Lounge King! He did the artwork for the vinyl! It's gonna be killn'!

I've been listening to this CD all week.
Tonight, I had 10 torches lit in my backyard Tiki Lounge, and this CD was so perfect, it's beyond description. It takes you places.
I have different favorite tracks every day!
Great work guys!

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 7:37 AM

My copy came in the mail yesterday...great, great stuff. Haven't stopped listening yet!

IZ

Okonkuluku!

I just wanted to say THANKS for an excellent CD! I've had a copy for a little over a month, and let me tell you, it is GREAT! It gets a lot of play in the car stereo on my drives to/from work. And I play a track every other week or so on Jet Set Planet. I've had a couple of listeners comment specifically on the Waitiki tunes! When listeners come out of the woodwork to comment on a specific tune, that's more rare than you think. It's exciting!

What I find so impressive about Rendezvous in Okonkuluku is how the music is in the "exotica" genre, but it doesn't sound derivative. It's not a copy of the past, but it references the best in exotica but also charts new directions for the genre. And THAT is a BIG deal in my book.

If anyone out there hasn't grabbed a copy, go to http://www.waitiki.com and get this CD before your summer tiki torches burn out!

~glen

Hey Glen!

Thanks for the kind words. Hope we can meet up next time I'm in town.

-Randy

Pages: 1 18 replies