Pages: 1 25 replies

T

Too rich for my blood.
http://www.shagmart.com

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: turbogod on 2003-01-20 14:09 ]

Mine too, but damn it's a nice big un!

J

Wow! That is an absurd price!! I don't think one of those is in my future...

:drink:

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2003-01-20 22:17 ]

D

wow. thats a bunch. and its big. the thing i'm learning about buying lithographs is that framing them is almost as much as the print itself.

Aint that the truth dogbytes. I've got 6 in tubes for over a year now.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-01-20 22:53 ]

If you want a Shag serigraph that's not quite as big, has not quite as many colors, is not quite as tiki (Okay, not tiki at all) but only 90 printed and $200.00...
http://www.vespaclubusa.org/store/store.htm#Shag Poster

I

The new print, 'The Discerning Guests,' is definitely a large one. At 34.5 x 48 inches, I could lay 4 copies of my 'Sepik Explorer' print onto the space covered by 'The Discerning Guests'

Let's see: $450, divided by 1656 total square inches - that comes out to 27 cents per square inch of Shag. Cheap!

Vern

No need to buy it now. It is showing out of stock. How long before it shows up on ebay

Powerofthetiki

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2003-01-21 18:54 ]

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2003-01-21 18:55 ]

T

if anyone wants a Shag image for a very reasonable price ($20.00) go to http://www.juxtapoz.com for the shagquarium 5 color poster (not limited edition)-26"x33" ......

you may also see this juxtapoz poster sold on ebay as something "rare".....not.......

Couldn't find it.

On their news page, shagmart wants to know what you think of Shag scalpers. They are asking every to send your thoughts and what they should do about.

[email protected]

M

Re: Shagmart

I received the email a few days ago, stating the new print "Red Shoe" is available. They wanted to let their customer list have first crack. So, I thought I'd check it out, maybe pick one up.

"unavailable"

The Ebay re-sellers? Shagmart has to raise the price, take the re-sellers profits away.

midnite

D

On 2003-01-28 16:56, midnite_tiki wrote:
I received the email a few days ago, stating the new print "Red Shoe" is available
"unavailable"

grr. but.. doesnt it make sense that the scalpers are ALSO on shagmart's email list?? maybe they need to limit the sale to ONE per person.

i didnt even see what Red Shoe looks like :(

T

Yeah, I got it too. It sold out in like 4 or 5 hours

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-01-28 17:36 ]

On 2003-01-28 17:11, dogbytes wrote:
grr. but.. doesnt it make sense that the scalpers are ALSO on shagmart's email list?? maybe they need to limit the sale to ONE per person.

i didnt even see what Red Shoe looks like :(

The limit was one per person. I think there will be more available at noon PST on Wednesday as well.

You can check out the print here

S

I got one too. I'm sure they only had a limited amount available for sale, and they will put the rest up @ noon PST tomorrow (1/29/03).

I do wish they kept the same colors that are in the original:

D

ooh, the purple one is better.
thanks for posting (both)..

F

I admire Shag's work, but long ago decided to not actively collect him, since there is so much vintage stuff to go for, but I just couldn't resist those boardshorts.. those are sweet!

I was told today by a well meaning friend that my house looked like a Shag Painting. I dig his work but its almost like he has hijacked a whole genre, so decorating vintage is a Shag Knock-off now???

I'm still not quite sure what to think about this.

The Shag Mart website news page no longer mentions the Red Telephone print at all. I'm not sure if this is an oversight, or if in fact all the print really did completely sell out before being offered publicly. I guess we'll see at noon.

Here's the next print though due Feb. 10.

J

Here's a suggestion...Why doesn't Shagmart stop selling retail all together and sell all of their shit wholesale to resellers only so that we collectors and fans can pay 75-100% mark-up on all Shag products! Excuse my sarcasm but this mayhem over Shag and the inability to buy a print at a reasonable price and in a relaxed manner has really pissed me off!

The issue is not the eBay scalpers, the retailers, the galleries, or the online ordering system -- the issue is Shag.

So long as Shag decides to limit the number of prints so severely, he will continue to inflate the value of them. Shag's first prints were runs of 500, and now they are 150, despite the fact that his fan base has expanded exponentially.

The danger in this kind of marketing (and it is a form of marketing more than anything else) is that you run the risk of facing a huge backlash. The grumblings of complaint here on Tiki Central are the early stages of this backlash, just as the folks here were among the first to embrace his work. Rest assured that if this practice continues, the backlash will affect the value of the prints, as well as the value of the originals and his reputation as an artist. Backlashes do not discriminate, and they cast a wide net.

I understand the desire to have a signed and numbered limited edition lithograph, but would anyone here NOT buy a Shag print because the run was 1500 instead of 150?

Another solution would be to announce the print and take pre-orders with deposits until a certain date (one per customer, as usual), and after the date closes, the number of pre-orders is the number of prints in the edition.

If Shag wanted to keep the S/N editions at 150, he could offer a larger number of unsigned "posters" of some images for less money, that way people who want to buy a print for the art and not its perceived collectable value could afford to pick one up.

I hope Shag realizes that despite whatever intentions he may have with such limited runs, the demand for his prints is very high and if he continues to underproduce them, his fans will eventually get angry and they won't just turn their backs on Shag, they will spearhead the backlash.

I hope he figures this thing out before that happens.

-Mike

Well said!

An edition of 150 when there's more than 150 people on the mailing list is ludicrist. This small quantity in what is obviously a larger market makes eBay scalpting a high-profit, quick turnaround affair.

Received my copy of the print "The Red Telephone." I was surprised to find that it came with a COA that listed the number of prints (200), APs (20), and printer proofs (5). I expect all the future Shag prints will have these.

Pages: 1 25 replies