Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

IS There a friggin chance of finding Hawaiian

Pages: 1 14 replies

S

food in Indianapolis? Going next month, and having my
yearly tiki party during the Rockabilly Rebel Weekend, and thought I might actually get it catered, rather than BBQing this year. If anyone has any ideas on food that would be easy to put together in a hotel room with a microwave and small fride, lemme know,because if I cant get it catered, I'm thinkin about ordering Hawaiian pizza, and getting some shrimp rings from the grocery store, anyone have any other good-and-EASY-ideas???
Mahalo!
PEa

If there is, you should start by going to the TC forum devoted to locating Tiki, oddly enough called Locating Tiki...

...then you should go to the place where Tiki critiquers critique Tiki past, present, and future... www.critiki.com.

Sorry Sweetpea can't help ya. But from my experience of weekenders, ANY food to soak up the alcohol would be appreciated.

D

Indianapolis has many ethnic restaurants none hawaiian, but lots of chinese, which might be a good catering option.

my "go to" source is chowhound, here's a thread about cheap eats.

hey, there's a Cheeseburger in Paradise in Indy..go get me a mug!

On 2007-05-24 07:15, The Gnomon wrote:
If there is, you should start by going to the TC forum devoted to locating Tiki, oddly enough called Locating Tiki...

...then you should go to the place where Tiki critiquers critique Tiki past, present, and future... www.critiki.com.

Yeah, uh, so I was not searching for a tiki restaurant, I was searching for FOOD/catering/recipes so I guess it makes NO sense I posted in the FOOD area? :P
Thanks for the tip I guess.

Dogbytes, you coming out tonight??? I know it's LATE! hahahahah
WOOF? How bout you? Last chance to hear DJ Tom spinnin some great tunes at Hula Hula before he leaves to Cali.

[ Edited by: sweetpea 2007-05-24 10:20 ]

Hey Kon!!!
Hopefully I'll make it over to Hemsby one of these years!
Have you done Viva Las Vegas? I just got back from the Green Bay Rockin 50's fest! Ayeeee, 150 + bands in 5 days! TOO CRAZY!!!

On 2007-05-24 10:18, sweetpea wrote:
Yeah, uh, so I was not searching for a tiki restaurant, I was searching for FOOD/catering/recipes so I guess it makes NO sense I posted in the FOOD area? :P

I thought thought you were looking for Tiki stores where you could get stuff better than Hawaiian pizza. In Locating Tiki they categorize places as Bar, Restaurant, Apartments, Store, etc. I thought your best bet to find such store would be there or CriTiki.

S

On 2007-05-24 11:04, The Gnomon wrote:

On 2007-05-24 10:18, sweetpea wrote:

I thought thought you were looking for Tiki stores where you could get stuff better than Hawaiian pizza. In Locating Tiki they categorize places as Bar, Restaurant, Apartments, Store, etc. I thought your best bet to find such store would be there or CriTiki.

Completely unlikely. This is not an index of anything and everything here, just a few places of interest. Neither option you mention is a place one would go for this information. If it were that easy, she wouldn't have asked.

H
Helz posted on Thu, May 24, 2007 6:00 PM

H

Both Tiki Central and Critiki are focused on Polynesian Pop -- the fake Hawaii -- and thus come up pretty empty if you're looking for actual Hawaiian food. Most Poly Pop places serve Chinese food or barbecue, only a few serve anything remotely Hawaiian, though Hawaiian cuisine influences are getting to be more common with the newer Tiki places.

It sounds like what you're looking for is a plate lunch joint, but my search for "plate lunch" and "Indianapolis" came up with nuttin'. I did find this place, though:

http://www.konajacksindy.com

It's not feed-the-masses plate lunch deliciousness, and their site doesn't say anything about catering. But it might fit the bill, and if you ask them nicely, they might be willing to tell you if there are any plate lunch places in town.

Hope that helps!

Hey SweetPea,
There's an L&L bbq in New York (seems to be the closest to Indy)... You might be able to have them FedEx out a few containers of Kalua pig and some LauLau then you could just get your 2 scoops rice and mac salad locally.
Good luck and Aloha,
:tiki:

"hey, there's a Cheeseburger in Paradise in Indy..."
That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

K

Sweetpea, since Spam is so popular in Hawaii, I suppose my "Sweet & Sour Spam for Camping Trips" could be categorized as somewhat Hawaiian. I don't ever stop to write down exact measurements, but this can be prepared "to taste".

Ingredient suggestions:

*SPAM (the lower fat version) - pre-prep the Spam beforehand as follows:

*ONIONS - Saute some chopped onions in olive oil 'til their sweet & almost brown.
*GREEN PEPPER - Add some minced green pepper & saute some more.
*GARLIC - Add some minced garlic.
Then add the cubed SPAM & continue to saute 'til the Spam starts to brown a little.

*SAUCE - pre-prep the sauce beforehand:
Any sweet & sour sauce you like will do. This is my version:
*FRENCH DRESSING
*PINEAPPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE
*LIME JUICE - a splash or two
*HONEY or SUGAR
*SPICY MUSTARD
*SALT to taste
*GINGER
*PATAK'S ORIGINAL CHILI RELISH HOT
This is mostly chilies & ginger - hard to find but well worth the search.
Usually sold in Indian Groceries. Website is http://www.pataks.co.uk

*RAMEN NOODLES
(just use the noodles & throw away the nasty flavor packets which, as near as I can tell, are pure msg)

*SLICED CARROTS (from a can will do if you're looking for convenience).

*PINEAPPLE CHUNKS - drained (also from a can).

Keep the pre-prepped Spam & sauce refrigerated or frozen until the event. Take it to the event in a cooler with ice blocks. When I'm camping I heat the sauce, Spam, carrots, & pineapple chunks in a pan over a camp stove. A microwave would be even easier. I cook the noodles on site but this could be done ahead of time too.

I always get raised eyebrows when I tell folks Sweet & Sour Spam is on the menu, but everyone who's tried it so far has liked it.

[ Edited by: kctiki 2007-05-27 06:06 ]

S

Hey KC, I'll see if I can whip that up! Thanks much!
Sounds mighty tasty to me. I dig spam!
Pea

T

Thought that you would like to know it's SPAM's 70th anniversary. They have commemorative cans & if you have proof's of purchase you can get a $3.00 SPAM shirt.

SPAM Lovers unite!!

S

ooooooooooooooh, they got lotsa goodies on their site, hmmm, might be doing my xmas shopping there!!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies