Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How many Types Of Tiki are there?

Pages: 1 38 replies

F

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how many different types of Tiki there are.

My interest stems from the fact I have a spirit guide who is a Tiki.(Yes, I know it was a shock to me as I am in the UK but hey I think Tiki's are pretty cool anyhow)

I would like to be able to learn how to draw Tiki's so any tips or pointers on that would be welcomed.

Thanks

Fae

uk

TM

5 types

Good and shitty.

Hope this helps.
Buzzy

On 2007-05-23 17:18, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Good and shitty.

Hope this helps.
Buzzy

To varying degrees...thousands...but Buzzy is correct; very good or extremely shitty. And as you will find out on this site, it depends on how you define good or shitty.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I don't have any shitty tikis)!

On 2007-05-23 15:43, faemage wrote:

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how many different types of Tiki there are.

My interest stems from the fact I have a spirit guide who is a Tiki.(Yes, I know it was a shock to me as I am in the UK but hey I think Tiki's are pretty cool anyhow)

I would like to be able to learn how to draw Tiki's so any tips or pointers on that would be welcomed.

Thanks

Fae

uk

Aloha, Fae.

Huge question, although as discussed above, it is very subjective.

You may wish to begin with some of the classic Hawaiian styles from the Place of Refuge on the Big Island:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23753&forum=7&hilite=place%20of%20refuge

H

On 2007-05-23 15:43, faemage wrote:

My interest stems from the fact I have a spirit guide who is a Tiki...

How did you come to learn of this spirit guide? Have you seen this spirit guide?
Please tell us more.

P

Do they have peyote in the UK?

Bruce.

Got one more to add to the pile.

Pirate Tiki.

The NEXT thing.......(befor Target get's ahold of it!

M

Some say there is but one:

I was never much of a follower, though. I mean, really, sure some of his work is pretty cool. Take the early Jane's Addiction material, and that whole fish and loaves thing. Still, by the time he joined the Chili Peppers, forget about it. Lost me, he lost me.

Then, I met this fellow, he showed me an enlightened path. He shepherds me through the valley and lounges of darkness. I saw...I saw that light, and it was righteous:

WWJD? Dig it. Dig it, indeed.
midnite

MT

The Jab is Dave Navarro Jesus?

Hmmmm, makes sense now that I look back on it. Come to think of it, I've never seen them both in the same room at the same time! Is it a matter of him taking off those Clark Kent glasses? Now I see the true meaning into the phrase What Would Jab Do?

F

Good and Shitty eh? lol that's fair enough as there can be good and bad in everything.

5 types I did find through a search Lono, Kon-Tiki under Tiki Gods

Peyote I am not sure If it is in the UK or not I would have to look into it.

I had, had training before that vision quest by a Native American elder whom my
then boyfriend got me in contact with. he scared the life out of me as he was good at what he did and being brought up a Christian I ignored his words. Till one day he got me into meditation and opened me up to it all. I was furious at him as it was a difficult thing to put on my shoulders, but grew to be friends with him.

Tiki I started talking to about 2 years ago after I was at a retreat learning about arch angel healing,past life regression.
I decided I wanted to qualify but realise I already knew it. still it was fun.
someone mentioned spirit children from that point on he started talking and never shut up and gave me the word Tiki I thought what is a Tiki I still don't know. even my mum has noticed him...she says he's talking again isn't he..as he likes computer games...can't imagine life without him as I am so use to him now. He often talks too much and states he is from the happiness ray. He is never unhappy unless someone upsets me and then boy he sees them as the enemy.

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-05-24 06:30 ]

has anyone seen the Elviki tiki?

http://www.dskdesigns.com/showproduct.php?productID=15
lol cool

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-05-24 11:27 ]

H
P

Maui - The time shifter

A demigod is the brother of Madam Pele. Maui is said to have lassoed the sun in order to slow it down and make the days longer on the island of Maui

his ropes around the sun are said to represent "rays".

http://www.spiritsouthseas.com/backup/gods.htm

oh, and waiter, i'll have what she's drinking.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-05-24 08:07 ]

Seriously though....

This got me thinking about classifying Tikis like we do with animals and plants:

Kingdom: art
Phylum: tribal / ethnic
Class: pacific islands
Order: hawaiian / rarotongan / rapa nui / marquesian / maori / etc
Family: wood carvings / stone carvings / weapons / fetishes / etc
Genus: (family of wood carvings) tikis...
Species: specific tikis...

Example:
Art / tibal / pacific islands / hawaiian / wood carvings / tikis / Ku

F

Midnite Tiki the pic is lovely very ethereal.Thank you for shareing that with me!
My way is I believe in the fact that God is in everything the trees everything around me and within me.

I have some cards Doreen virtues with Pele on as I trained with jessica west in the uk isatreya. My art really is in my jewellery making.

thanks for the link to the names of Gods! will be interesting reading.

have to say this is a great forum and it's nice to feel welcome somewhere.

Fae
have a good day/evening

On 2007-05-24 08:06, pdrake wrote:
Maui - The time shifter

A demigod is the brother of Madam Pele. Maui is said to have lassoed the sun in order to slow it down and make the days longer on the island of Maui

his ropes around the sun are said to represent "rays".

http://www.spiritsouthseas.com/backup/gods.htm

oh, and waiter, i'll have what she's drinking.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-05-24 08:07 ]

I always wondered about the lack of tiki love for Maui - although as he is the only tiki god with an island named after him, maybe it balances it out. He has the name recognition and Ku and Lono have the carvings.

Eight

Let's see there's Dopey, Grumpy, Doc, Bashful, Sleepy, Sneezy, Happy, and Horny.

Oh, wait! Wrong eight.

You're looking for Koro, Tangaroa-ru, Tangaroa, Maui, Ngendei, Pele, Hini, and Rongo.

WD's Enchanted Tiki Room

i need a drink...

On 2007-05-25 10:41, davealmost wrote:
i need a drink...

Then you should probably utilize the wine god, Okole Maluna:

Happy Welakahao!

Does that make nine different tiki gods now?
Wink Winking Buzzy Out!

On 2007-05-25 11:00, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-05-25 10:41, davealmost wrote:
i need a drink...

Then you should probably utilize the wine god, Okole Maluna:

Happy Welakahao!

Does that make nine different tiki gods now?
Wink Winking Buzzy Out!

Cool!

F

Erm not sure I didn't keep count of them. Thanks Ben for the post! nice pic

I have a Tiki spirit guide and you have a lot of knowledge on Tikis. I now have an idea of how to promote Tiki's but as I have only seen 1 Tiki can you give me an idea of what they look like? I can't say what the idea is yet as I haven;t trademarked my idea...

I don't know if any of you could draw any for me or if I need to visit a library.

If in the future I ask you to draw Tiki's how much would you charge for the use of it? or how I go about permission for this.

they don't have to be replicas of tiki's but characatures they can be funny and the idea of a pirate tiki is intriguing.

(I would also give all credits and contact for the artists.)

anyone interested?

FaeMage

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-05-27 13:18 ]

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-05-27 13:54 ]

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-05-28 10:02 ]

P

Do you know Andy Landry?

F

I can't say I know of him

R
H

Hello everyone, welcome to twilight zone!!!

F

Oh I just looked it over on Andy Landry not good....why lie about something like that? I just don't get it...it's awful because of i am asking for Tikis to be drawn and know that people won't want to help me due to what this person has done. i feel cross that people have to destroy things for other's I can say I am genuine but understand if no one believes me.I don't know how I can prove I am genuine either.
I am sorry for what he did to you and can understand the pain from being a friend to them and trusting them.

perhaps in time you will trust me but understand if you don't.

as a reiki master/healer myself I have come across people who have exploited my gifts and asked for healing under false pretense "psy vamps"

it may be hard for me to get

thanks

faemage

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-05-28 10:04 ]

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-05-28 10:10 ]

3 types:
Traditional, Pop Culture, and WTF were you thinking.

F

lol @ WTF im off to have a bacon and egg sandwhich. Getting hungry.

I actually have some of these plectrums below blackline dunlop range

hope it's ok to add this link just thought it was interesting and love the artwork on them.

http://www.music-town.de/musik-instrumente/JIM-DUNLOP-Tiki-Taboo-Gongawar-6er-Pack-Plektren-06mm.html

F

thanks for the replies all its helped a lot.

I ahve one question though

hears the yawns from a mile away.

how do you tell which tiki is which some places are posting pics of tikis and saying its kane others say its lono.

what should i be looking for as a traditional
kane
lono
ku
Kanaloa
please i ams earching lots of forums and trying really hard with this.

I also found there are other tiki Gods
Kauhuhu the shark god who lives in a cave but no pics as yet of any of the below.
Kaupe - The Cannibal Dog Man
Nightmarchers
Nanaue

please advise appreciated

fae

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:49 ]

Wait, wait.....! somethings coming in.....

That is a SWEET BOARD, brah.

T

Tiki is what that 'Visa Card' says it is !!!!

I think Fae has been an exceedingly good sport here, and so I will try to answer this in earnest. Problem is, there is no easy answer. The missionaries did such a great job with eradicating Polynesian religion and myth that a lot of the information one can find nowadays is based on assumptions. Except for Rongo Rongo, there was no written language in Polynesia, so there is no catalog of Tiki mug shots that states "This is Rongo, this is Maui." There are SOME examples, but most are uncertain.

In the case of the Hawaiian war god Ku, there are enough surviving specimens of statuary that allow us to put a name to a deity AND a style of design. But then there are many other deities that are associated with carvings by hearsay. The Polynesian religion was based on ancestor worship, wich was an ORAL tradition that survived by generations learning and reciting the histories of the ancestor gods. This all died out with the last elders.

Also, there are quite a few different styles of Tiki carvings by island groups, like the Marquesan, the Hawaiian, the Cook Islands and the Maori/New Zealand carving styles. In these island groups, some of the ancestor gods, like Tangaroa, are shared among the different islands, but for different carvings, PLUS their meanings and responsibilities vary by island tradition.

So what I am trying to say is that A.) there is no easy labeling, and B.) we here on Tiki Central are also not THAT concerned with scholarly correct labeling. The fact that all these figures are all called "Tiki" is already incorrect, as the different island groups called them Tiki, Ti'i, Ki'i, akua, Moai etc.

This is not to say that we on TC would not welcome any valiant attempt to clear up the mess that the missionaries left us with :)
Please, if anyone has the expertise, post away.

The type of Tiki that Tiki Central is mostly concerned with ist best described in "The Book of Tiki", which unfortunately is now out of print. The book's endpages also have a nice pictograph map that shows the Oceanic art styles with their respective islands. Any further study of mysticism associated with these deities is, though not discouraged, really not the focus of this board, and if so, engaged in by private disgression of the individual readers of this book and this board.

Here are a few:

Sleepy, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Bashful, Sneezy and Doc...

Don't forget...

Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, Donner and Blitzen or Rudolph.

Barbie, Ken, Skipper and Midge!

Just joshing!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am, like a dog, if I can't eat it or screw it, I piss on it and walk away)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-08-29 18:04 ]

F

Thanks for the reply I have a copy of "The Book Of Tiki" pocket book I had sent for the larger sized book and wasn't able to get it,so it's the nearest I could get.

I will get some scans of the tikis I have drawn Please note they are abismal, I did put a post to see if there was anyone who would be able to help on this as I want to respect copyright laws and not step on anyones toes!

I can make handmade jewellery but when it comes to Tiki's its a different thing completly and I have a lot of respect to the hard work that goes into them.

I will make sure I don't bring up religion you are right it's not the place for it but, I wanted to be honest who or what I was.I want to clear up that I have never taken money for helping others and that people come upto me anywhere asking for help and so I help, if i can't i say so.
I have got a lot on at the moment as in problems around me people 1 being terminally ill with cancer another friend with leukaemia and the last few posts got me riled quickly.hey I am red head and we sure do have fiery tempers.i won't bring it into convo as that is no ones problem.
this is a Tiki forum and I will keep to the topics thanks.

Thanks for the reply and appreciated it's cleared alot up for me.

Fae

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-08-30 07:00 ]

[ Edited by: faemage 2007-08-30 07:09 ]

Fae, respect to your search!

Do be aware, there are more than a handful of fun loving smart-asses, myself included, that spend time with TC. Luckily there are some deep thinking and prolific posters that hopefully balance the experience.

F

ok ty have to say the anoying thing the board you posted is pretty sweet.ouija not for me i might run screaming.

Pages: 1 38 replies