Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mai Kai tiki help

Pages: 1 11 replies

I am in need of a lil help. I was hoping somebody had some pictures of the PNG tiki in the Mai Kai inner garden behind the stage. You know the one that is next to BK's awesome tiki. I am making a mug of this tiki and have it dialed in except for the back . Any help I can get would be great!

S

Danny,
That is a fake actually. It is designed after the PNG Oratory Table. The back should have what looks like a seat or table on it. He is way up in the gardens and so, hard to see the back. But it ought to look like the one in my bar if you recall that guy. I don't know that I even have a pictire of the back of mine. I would guess OA did that guy for them. If you search for "oratory stool" or "oratory table" on google images, you might get somewhere.

Someone said I was crawling around up there last Huki

but I don't remeber.

Sorry. No help here.

Arrrr!!! :)

Can I pre-order one of those mugs?

P

C

Is he MAYBE this one...........I have pictures of a bunch of the MaiKai tikis.......this one looks like the closest.....

& his legs are in the background of this one:

& there's a list for those mugs, right? :wink: :wink: :wink:

S
C

Here's one from Trader Vic's Tokyo - you may be able to tell a bit about the construction of the back from these couple of shots......

[ Edited by: croe67 2007-05-24 09:19 ]

I shot video of the Mai Kai garden and its tikis when I was there for Hukilau. It may be on the video.

I would suggest that it is a Barney West carving, he was most prolific in carving PNG oratory chairs. I am not at home, so I can't get closer scans, but here are some of his stools, on the last catalog page in this old post of mine:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22078&forum=1&vpost=276624

A

Danny, here's a couple more shots, that show a little bit of an angle on that thing he's got on his backside.

-Randy

C

& a little more of a view from the other side in this one:

Sweet folks, thanks a bunch! Seems every time I go to the Mai Kai I am too giddy and in awe to take pics, good looking out TCers. Ben, I got you.

Pages: 1 11 replies