Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

tiki mosaics

Pages: 1 22 replies

Mr. cheeky half and I have been making tiki-inspired mosaics and were hoping to get some feedback on them.

http://www.thebigrobot.com/tiki/mosaic.html

These are our first mosaics and we will hopefully improve with time and practice......and (insert pathetic puppy dog face here) maybe a little encouragement.

cheeky half

Those are great! I love the wrath of Pele. What are the sizes of the mosaics? Keep it up!

Wow! Those are really great! I've been wanting to try to make some tiki mosaics but I know I can't beat those. The red one is fabulous! Love them!

Happy Tiki Hunting!

Those are very impressive! Want to sell any?

AWESOME!! I liked em all. Tell us more about them. How heavy are they? Damn those are nice.
Chongolio

P.S. I like the tiki danglers too!

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-01-21 10:29 ]

Cheeky,
Very nice mosaics! What kind of tiles are you using? Some look like glass. Are you using a mortar for the adhesive?

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jan 21, 2003 10:37 AM

those rock!!!
imagine a swimming pool tiled like that...

Good point about the sizes Luckydesigns. We've changed the site to display the dimensions when you enlarge the picture (the Wrath of Pele is 12" X 24".)

Waikiki tiki, you should give it a shot. We didn't know if we could do it until we sat down and started playing with those sharp shards of glass... make sure you have a good supply of band aids.

We aren't really thinking of selling these right now Tiki Bong. They are really, really labor intensive (did I mention really) and right now we are enjoying having them in our tiki bar. We are going to keep making them so maybe some time in the future.................

Chongolio, these babies are heavy. What more information would you like? It all started 30 years ago when..............No seriously, it's just glass on masonite with tile grout.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

wow those are beautiful, I love the wrath of pele one. I'd love to purchase one if you ever tire of them.

M

Nice work.

Now, about the one in the middle. We can work something out friendly like or I can contact my attorney and we can do it that way.

midnite

Ah,midnite_tiki_we_checked_with_our"people"_beforehand_and_they_said
_it'd_be_cool_as_long_as_we_did_not_use_the underscore.

[ Edited by: cheeky half on 2003-01-21 11:31 ]

D

I'm very impressed! Love the Kamiki Tiki!! I too do mosaics and know what time and labor are involved in a piece. I haven't been able to do some in quite some time due to the time you must give in making a piece. My boyfriend reminds me of my birdbath that is in need of finishing. I think you just inspired me to get on it as soon as I can(that is after getting a new job). Keep up the fanstatic work...

Wow....that's some really impressive stuff. If you could do an entire floor in that manner in your bar (sort of like the Romans used to do)!....

ZAZZ! Very nice work. I love the Pele one, too. I'm inspired to try to make one of these myself, though probably much simpler. Anyone know of good websites that detail the process that goes into making them?

Mahalo!

T

Mark, those mosaics ARE amazing- very impressive!! Would you do me the honor of adding them to the tiki gallery? (or can I?)

http://www.tikiroom.net/database.html

Keep up the great artwork!

D

Tiki-bot, try HGTV, or typing Mosaics in search and you'll have all kinds of websites to go to. And your local craft store should have all the supplies and books to start off with. And then proceed to look on the web. As for templates to use find a simple design to start with. I generally copy and enlarge it and trace/freehand on top of whatever base I'm using and then proceed with applying the pieces.

If you buy sheets of glass(the ones used for stained glass)at a craft store like Hobby Lobby and break them with glass nips it is much cheaper than buying those tiny bags of mosaic tiles that are so expensive. I am thinking of doing some tiki stained glass...any ideas?

Tiki-bot, I would recommend getting a how-to-mosaic type of book. They offer good information in a very organized way. I borrowed one, but I can't remember it's title. When I track it down I'll let you know. We used art glass from stained glass stores which can be a bit pricey, however they usually have a box of remnants that you can purchase by the pound. Ceramic tiles are good as well. They're cheaper and can be easier to find depending on your area. Check with bath and kitchen design stores for leftovers from remodelling jobs.

I'd love to see stained glass tikis waikiki tiki! I kept fantasizing about them when we were in the glass shops. Of course, I fantasize about turning everything I see into tiki.

I checked with Mark (Mr. Cheeky Half) and he's cool about putting the mosaics up in the gallery so we'll get them up there soon.

Thanks for all the interest,
cheeky half

For the first time ever, a Cheeky Half (aka Velvet Glass) mosaic is being made available to the public! And here it is....

Follow this link for more information: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17932&forum=4&0

Thanks for the plug tikitucson. Just to update folks a little, the Cheeky Half's have been busily making their mosaics and generally laying low. Earlier posts in this thread refer to thebigrobot.com. We updated a little and built a new web site to display our mosaic work, which can be found at http://www.velvetglass.com/

The old bigrobot links should still work, but the 'mosaic only' site is where the mosaics are now living.

Mr. And Mrs. Cheeky Half

Very impressive...I have dabbled in mosaics myself & I can attest to the pricked fingers. I always had one finger wrapped in a paper towel as I worked. I did an ocean themed bar top that is about one foot wide by eight feet long. It took about 2 months working in the evenings to finish it.

Thanks for sharing your work. You both are an inspiration to us all.

V

really excellent. Are you selling some ? I love the Pele, really cool.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, there is a "little bit of us" (the tips of our fingers) in every mosaic. We aren't selling the mosaics yet, but we are making a piece for the "Self Propelled" show at A Stuart Gallery. If you add yourself to the mailing list on our website I'll let you know if/when we put the mosaics up for sale. Also, we are looking into making the images into glass coasters, cards or some such thing. The mosaics are so labor intensive that if we could make some kind of print we'd have something affordable that we could share with more people.

cheeky half
http://www.velvetglass.com

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2006-01-23 08:34 ]

Pages: 1 22 replies