Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sams Opening

Pages: 1 26 replies

Just to give you an update on our opening. We are looking at an opening around june 19. I will let you know if it changes. Alan

R

I'd like to reserve a table for four. Just put it on the "Underhill" account.

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to having this place back. Hope all goes as planned and I'm in there on the 19th.

Stoked, I LOVE Sam's... Hopefully it hasn't changed much...except maybe the food...that could've used a little updating :wink:

I look forward to going there again.

T

Sweeeeet!

Check this out!!!
A very Good sign!

They brought this tiki up from the basement!!! Very Cool!!!

Very "TIKI"!!!!!!

Some interior shots.... some familiar scenes:

And......It looks like there's going to be a patio!!!

I spoke with the GM today and I feel good about the reopening happening soon and the relationship he wants with the tiki community. He recalled going to Sam's "back in the day" and wants it to relive the glory days! They have 2 outriggers hanging in the main room and another very old tiki inside. The hidden village and banquet room won't be open for a while. But it sounds like they'll be great when they are re-opened!!!

WooooHooooooOOOOOoooooooooo!!!

T

Man, that IS good news....

I was REALLY bummed when it closed, as were pretty much everyone in here.

I think there needs to be some art shows/events there to really make it a vital establishment that will sustain...They have so much room in that place...HELLO...band shows, Art Shows....maybe "Da Show" that Cruz used to do (do they still do those ?)

maybe a grand version of the Tonga Hut art extravaganazas....

It's endless....

Im sure glad its opening again, when we were last over in LA we drove past to see it shut up what a sad sight one of the original tiki sites gone,hope to come out again and we will definately visit again

T

Hung out in HB today, and stopped by Sam's to take a look...Looks like the're really doing some work there....That patio area in front, almost looks lie it's going to be a grand entrance of sorts...I could be wrong tho' .

Can't wait for the grand opening...

Wow, sounds like it is really going to happen. I can not wait what a great summer with Sam's open. Counting the days.

Hot damn!!, I have been waiting ages for this. I know it will be a bit of a madhouse, but I will try and be there the opening day....even if i have to call in sick to work!!

T

So is it on for the 19th??? That's next Tuesday.

T

When Sam's finally opens would anyone be up to getting a TC group together to break it in? By the way, is it supposed to open June 19th, 2007 or 2008???

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

I am sure 07, we went by last sunday and there were folks running all over working their butts off.

I stopped by for the Sam's parking lot sale. Picked up 4 hurricane glasses for a whopping $0.25 each, but nothing else. There was one cool photo of Sam's, but it was half consumed by mold. No signs of the coveted vintage Sam's mug stuck in any of the boxes.

Anyway, I seriously doubt Sam's will open by June 19. The place is coming along nicely, but there is clearly a lot more work that is needed both inside and out.

The new sign out front. Nice comparison to SoccerTiki's pix.

The older white color is giving way to an olive green, brown, and burnt orange highlights.

The north side is not even finished being painted. Didn't go inside, but you could tell there was still a lot of work to do.

So I dropped off some stuff at Sam's yesterday. They are all working hard to get things in order . I am making some carved artifacts for their walls and a sign for out front. I had a buddy do some paintings for them and he did the art work for their new street sign. Ben did his magic in the bar area and it looks sweet!

From what I understand, a lot of their stuff got ripped off while the place was closed. They lost alot and are working with what they have. It is not going to be the same Sam's we had before, but is still deep in mana. How cool is it that we thought we lost Sam's for good , but now have it back to enjoy.

This is what I have for y'all so far.....

This is my first job for a vintage tiki bar, so it is pretty exciting !

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2007-06-19 10:15 ]

Danny, more awesome work from you. Looks great.

C

Beautiful work, Danny!!
Nice to have your work gracing the front entrance of a revitalized tiki establishment!!!!!

T

Diablo....congratz....AWESOME work. I really can't wait to go to Sam's.

P

Dude...your sign looks GREAT! Especially in that perfect location on the building!

Well done!

H

Danny we love having you around. Great job.

Killer, brah...sorry we missed you at Hukilau, but when I heard why, I had to smile!

T

Great work as always Tiki diablo!

Just got back from the Sam's Seafood soft opening.

It was CRAZY PACKED!!!

They mixed in a lot of Balinese / Indo influences so don't

get all freaked out!!!!!!!!!!

Just glad that it didn't get the wrecking ball!!

It looks and feels real nice. For being in the OC, it's the sign of the times.

The tiki are all still there, the waterfall is pumping, the bar is more open ( they had 8 bartenders behind it!!), the old /new patio was cool, the landscaping is bigger, it was packed!, the food looked crazy!, they have a french schooled chef, vallet parking, good beer on tap!, etc....

Looks like it'll be around for a while.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

But, just remember that it isn't

a poly pop 1960's bar anymore. It still has tons of old school museum poly pop tiki stuff but mixed in with a little new tiki design. ( it's the OC and it's better than nothing!)

If the Grand Opening will be anything like tonight....

Get your reservations in ASAP!!

Also, the 2 back rooms are not open yet. But, I heard talk of sometime soon.

p.s. danny, sign rocks! ( bigger boo for rigger!! 4" at least!)

T

I have to admit I was not thinking this place was ever going to open. But from what I hear and what I see I can’t wait to stumble out of that place.
Just added 1-800-4mytaxi permanently on speed dial on my cell phone. I see some long nights ahead of me.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt
Myspace.com/tikitatt

WOOOOHOOOOO! Sam's is Finally OPEN!!! They are Open Tuesday through Friday from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. On Saturday & Sunday they open at 2:00pm. Closed on Mondays.

very nice sign! i'm glad to hear sam's is back :)

J
juke posted on Mon, Jul 9, 2007 11:33 AM

I am very stoked to hear this! My family used to go there when I was young

I am looking forward to taking my own kids there...

Pages: 1 26 replies