Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kapulapu- Palembei -Skoai - Thread Retired

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

Well my first sculpt is mostly done. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. I still need to pop it into a kiln. I just hope it doesn't explode!

SEE MORE PICS BELOW

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-05-28 12:58 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-05-28 12:59 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-06-02 14:54 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-12-21 15:28 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-01-18 15:56 ]

[ Edited by: tiki kaimuki 2008-02-21 16:23 ]

[ Edited by: tiki kaimuki 2008-08-12 19:48 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-08-12 19:53 ]

[ Edited by: tiki kaimuki 2008-09-11 08:06 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-10-07 19:10 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-11-22 11:19 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-12-02 11:17 ]

[ Edited by: tiki kaimuki 2009-02-05 17:19 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2009-05-06 08:35 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 24, 2007 6:50 PM

Great minds think alike....check your PMs!
Looking supercool - fishtikis are in this summer (along with pirate tiki)! What's he made from ? I didn't think the master sculpts for a mug usually needed to be fired?

Thanks! If he doesn't need to be fired then I won't go through the trouble.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 24, 2007 8:49 PM

I don't know...what did you use? Regular clay, or sculpey or...? Maybe it might need a stint in the oven. I've often wondered what the pros (Squid, C'Al, Diablo etc) use to make their masters.

K

Lookin' good, Tiki K, lookin' good!

Paipo, I used something they called "Happy Clay" from the ceramic store. It's good for kids and beginners because it stays wet longer.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement,Kahaka.

Here are some more pics with some adjusments.

I defined the "bark" edges a bit more.

And the back.

FORMERLY, theded1

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-05-24 22:01 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-05-24 22:02 ]

I really like your sculpt! The style is similar to the Islander Bumatay Mug which is rated as the most desired mug on Ooga Mooga right now.

I'm eager to see how the process goes. I know you've got a lot of work ahead of you with making a mold and doing the slipcasting, but what colors are you thinking? I would try to do something different than the Bumatay mug but still something that looks natural. Maybe use a darker flat glaze in the shadowed areas and a glossier or lighter glaze in the other areas. Munktiki's last three mugs (including the Hukilau 2007 mug) have used two-tone finishes nicely.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated!

Thanks, Trader Tom. Yes, I still do not own a Bumatay and this is what led me to want to create something completely inspired by that mug/carving.
We are definitely on the same page with glazes. I plan on doing many different test proofs to see what works the best.
Paul and Stuckie really kick ass when it comes to glazes(and sculpts). Also an inspiration.

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, May 25, 2007 8:02 AM

Gotta say that it really looks good and your on the right track.....
Can't wate to see it in COLOR!!!!!!!
Man it's goona look sweet....And put me on the list........

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2007-05-27 19:46 ]

this looks great! can totally see the Bumatay inspiration, but it has it own unique look.. Right On!! I will second big Notch's request... Please put me on the list for one of these.. Thanx

Really nice work.

That sculpt is really cool. Hoping to get most of my house done by July so I can start sculpting something.

I love seeing people making their own mugs, how many pieces are you making your mould?

Very cool!!!

List?

Sign me up!!! :D

sandz

Wow, that is really nice work. Put me on your list!

Man, it was great coming home today and seeing all of your kind comments. I've been wanting to do this for a while and to have people appreciate it makes me REALLY damn happy. Didn't think of starting a list yet, but since Notch initiated it I guess it can start. I'm not sure how many I will make- depends on interest. It will be around 50 and maybe 100 if it seems like enough people want one. Also don't know how much yet. I need to make the mold and start some test glazes to see what it will take. THANKS AGAIN!!!

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 8:11 AM

On 2007-05-25 18:10, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Didn't think of starting a list yet, but since Notch initiated it I guess it can start.

Then put me on it! I love that design.

Thanks

If an official list is going, please add me too! Darned great design, TK. Thanks!

• Myke
C

Great design! I like it a lot! Congrats!

Really imaginative work Tiki Kaimuki! It's great to see people really thinking about what they are going to produce. It always makes for high quality end product! Good to see TCers complimenting your work, and for me personally, good news that the interest in glazes is being discussed. I think that glazes often make or break a great tiki mug.

I've been working here in England with CHEEKYTIKI, on a vintage Duncan mug from a mold I got on eBay earlier this year. Couldn't have done it without them!!! It was great fun checking out the glazes and choosing one! I will post some pics and info in a new post soon as I have two finished ones back here at Tiki Towers now.

Any ideas for colours yet? I think a two-tone glaze is a must for this beauty! I look forward to seeing the test mugs posted. It may give others food for thought to!

Once more TK...Great mug and the comments from everyone should give you the confidence to create more. You can certainly put me on your list for a mug as I would be proud to have one in my collection...after I've supped a Mai-Tai from it of course!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a...well, you know!

Kono, Tikiwinebear, and Clarita thanks a lot for your supportive comments. POCKETIKI, I completely agree with the glaze making or breaking a mug. I am looking forward to having some fun experimenting and yet not going too overboard. I appreciate all of your encouraging words!

Very Cool... It's progressing nicely, sign me up please :)

Thanks a lot, Hip!
I am in the process of deciding on an actual name for the mug. I think I have it, but I want to make sure it isn't used somewhere else. I'll post it soon.

M

That looks like it's coming out beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing what glaze you decide on.

K

Add me to the list, Man!

Minerva, I REALLY can't wait to get the glazes going. Though, I think I may be weeks from that stage. I need to get my mold done first, then get it poured, finally get the greenware and then it will be GLAZING TIME!
Kahaka, of course you're on the list!

sign me up for one. nice work. the finished product should be cool.

GLUB! GLUB! tiny bumatay bubbles GLUB! GLUB!
Please add me to your list... I wanna see this one GLAZED! :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Kings and TJones, thank you and you're listed.

So I have finally come up with the name...
Kapulapu
Which seems to translate to taboo or forbidden ghost. Which I guess could refer to where I got the inspiration to sculpt him. Plus "Kapulapu" just rollercoasters around the tongue like a good bite of Spam musubi. So there it is...

FORMERLY, theded1

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2007-06-02 14:51 ]

Well, it's all coming along real slow. Notch has been kind enough to let me pick his brain about the process of producing a mug. I did some more detailing on the sculpt today and finally got an appointment to meet with the mold making guy for next week. I'm hoping to have some glazed artist proofs within a couple weeks. I am impatient!

Great to see some other folks getting into the craft.
From what I can see in your pictires, you will need at least a three piece mold, not including a fourth if you have a recessed bottom. Keep in mind for your wallet, the more pieces to the mold, the higher the cost of the mold, and the more seams to clean up on the greenware. Though, I try to never change a design due to complexity, if you are paying someone else to produce the molds, this may be a factor to consider. For the amount of detail in your sculpture, stay away from solid color glazes; you will loose a lot of it. Stick with semi clear of self antiquing, which will accent your design. Might also be nice to see a version painted with underglazes and done in clear.
Look forward to seeing the progress on your mug.

I like his look - sort of like an iguana or a chameleon. Cool stuff!

You better make sure to bring a little sumtin sumtin by FI. I'd love to see one of the artist proofs in person. :)

OceaOtica-Thanks a lot for the info and support. I agree about not wanting to change my art for the mold, we will see what happens when I finally meet with the guy. I talked with a guy at the ceramics store and he was telling me I needed to use cone 10 glazes to be food safe, even though they cone 5 and 6 glazes that said "food safe"? I suspect I will be doing a lot of proofs.

Sam-Thanks for the comment. Funny, we just hung one of your superkool Orbit Room signs in our bathroom and are considering using it as a color palette for a new paint job.

Haole'akamai- Of course, as soon as I get something to bring, I will be at FI on a Wednesday for some drinking and showing!

It only took me 7 months to finally get this thing into production. I poured my first molded mug today with mixed results. The first one came out too thin and subsequently had to be repaired for cracks as I took it out of the mold.

Here is the mold in pieces.

Impatience got the better of me. I should have left it at this stage for longer.

Slip poured out of the mold.

He made it out.

Profile.

Tomorrow is a new day with hopefully a drier mold and no sticky rips.

Oooooh-wheee, that is sharp!!

p.s. I am on the list for this, right?

LT

That's some nice work. I think I'll start following this thread.

P-a-t-i-e-n-c-e Tiki Kaimuki, good thang'z come to those who wait...KAPULAPU is looking great glub-glub!! :D
Keep posting the coool photo's as each one hatch'z... :drink:

Very cool Mug....Nice work...Please put me on your list...

Hey Haole'akamai, LOL Tiki, Traveling Jones, and Meheadhunter, mahalo for your compliments.After some coffee and cartoons I am going to pour another one this morning. I opened up the mold and put it by the heater last night to get it ready for sucking moisture.Hopefully, it will produce.

Good luck on pouring another....I can't wait to see the finished piece....

After my ceramics store ran out of slip I was made to wait yet again. Now, I have two five gallon buckets and busted out 4 mugs with a 5th one in the mold right now.
I began glazing the previous ones I made- one peanut style(hanging out on a shelf at Forbidden Island), one blueish with brown bark, and one greenish with brown. The two latter are getting another glaze treatment for experimentation.

The pic below shows the newly hatched and one I did in an all white glaze just for fun.

The production line rolls on...

What a cool mug, Tiki Kaimuki! Can't wait to see them with all of the glaze colors.

Lookin' Good!!! HiPhIP!

B

Very cool mug indeed! I would love to purchase one when you get-um in mass production.

Be sure to dry out those plaster molds some after about 4-5 pulls or so, and don't fire that greenware one you put glaze on...sure you knew that :-) Try leaving the slip in the mold for about an hour before you pour it out, that gives a nice thickness to the mug in my opinion.

Sweet!!

Thanks a lot Sam and Hiphip! Babalu, thanks also for the guidance. The glazed one was actually bisque fired and then glazed and fired again, so it's safe for use. I am leaving the slip in the mold for 40 minutes. It comes out with some nice heft and yet not too heavy. It's a trip how this whole slipcasting thing works. I need to bring it all into my classroom and show my 3rd graders how to make a tiki mug(aka the teacher will get to make another mug during the day).

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jan 14, 2008 2:03 PM

These are looking really nice TK. Can we see pics of the other glazes you did?

Sweeter and sweeter.

and yeah, give those slacker 3rd graders a useful skill. Get 'em young and train 'em hard. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 79 replies