Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Advice for cleaning old Bamboo?

Pages: 1 3 replies

C

I bought a great vintage Bamboo shelf, but it's covered with many years of dust & grime. So, I am wondering if anyone here has any advice on what I should use to clean-off the bult-up gunk. I am guessing a few others who maybe have bought vintage bars or shelves may have had similar experiences. What did you try that worked??

Here are a couple of shots - on one of them you get a feel for the dirt. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh wow! I saw this one up for auction (eBay probably) and thought it was an excellent piece. Congratulations on your new addition.

These are the basic steps that I follow when cleaning bamboo/rattan/cane:

The first step to clean it is to vacuum it thoroughly using the crevice and upholstery brush attachments. Then use a medium bristle brush like a vegetable brush (or soft paintbrush with bristles cut to about 1") to work at the dirt in the crevices and vacuum again. A firm tooth brush can be used for places you can't reach with a larger tool. For tiny crevices, I've used an orangewood stick (for ladies' nails) or a dowel sharpened in a pencil sharpener.

After the loose dirt & debris are removed, you can then attack the remaining dirt with a solution of mild detergent and water (a couple of drops in a quart of water) and a brush or a cloth. Be sure to tilt the piece so that the water runs off it, and go easy on the water. I've found that an e-cheapo spray bottle filled with the detergent solution works well. ... I think that the piece has a hardwood base, so be careful of letting water collect there.

Thoroughly rinse the soap off and let the piece dry in the shade, preferably when a warm wind is blowing.

Those are the basics, so if I haven't answered a specific question you have, fire away!

Martiki-bird (Gina)

Two threads that may be helpful:

My Rattan Set Score!

Rattan Refinishing Question

good luck!

C

Thanks so much to you both!

I had searched on clean & bamboo before posting this - but not Rattan, so thanks for letting me know about those threads!!

Martiki-bird - yes, it was on EBay - it was a pick-up only that was not too far from me, so we went down to get it a few weeks ago & I'm now tackling getting it ready for the bar :) Thanks so much for sharing your methods - the small brushes make sense, as there is some that is just caked on....ick....

It'll probably be a while before I get it done, but I'll post a picture once it's all cleaned-up.

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 3 replies