Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Backyard tiki pool

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hi, new member here. I thought I would share some pics of my backyard during the process of it becoming a nice place to hang out. I designed the pool and GC'd it myself. The pool's almost done, but overall I would say the backyard is only about 40% done. Still to go is a wooden jump pier for the pool, a hammock area, a couple of hidden gardens, a jungle walk from the front to the back, painting and theming of the patio and certain areas of the pool, and of course the bar. I hope to pick up some great ideas from the community here too!

I live very near Ft Lauderdale and met Wayne Coombs there last fall at Hukilau. We discussed my ideas and he was confident he could make them work. And boy did he come through. I hope to use Wayne's services for various things here and there as I go on. I really wanted to post Wayne's work here, he's in a league of his own.

[ Edited by: etohliver 2007-05-28 19:01 ]

G

I LOVE the water-spewing tikis! Bravo!

Oh, and the tapa tiles are a great touch.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2007-05-28 15:28 ]

On 2007-05-28 15:27, GatorRob wrote:
I LOVE the water-spewing tikis! Bravo!

Oh, and the tapa tiles are a great touch.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2007-05-28 15:28 ]

I agree, the water spewing tiki's are cool, and the back is so lush, you have the makings of a great yard...congrats!!

Amy

Well howdy nieghbor, welcome to TC! The pool looks fantastic and I really love the Tapa tiles.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2007-05-28 18:10 ]

Thanks Tom. You're a Lauderdale bum too?

Do you happen to know where I could aquire some heavy chain like in the Mai Kai's garden area. I'm going to do a similar "railing" around part of the pool deck. I heard there was a place near the port that sold that kind of thing, but I don't have a name.

I think the place that you are talking about is Sailorman. They specialize in salvaged boating supplies - located on SR 84 at Federal Hwy. The really ironic thing is that there is probably tons of old chain lying around the Port.

Fortunately we live in the Boating capital - it may take a little research thru the phone book but its here somewhere. Try West Marine, Boat Owners Warehouse, Boaters World. All of those are in very close proximity to Sailorman. Also if you go to Sailorman and they don't have it - they might be able to refer you to place that will have it. Good Luck.

PS - I'm in Deerfield.

T

Nice pool ... nice area to soak the footsie's .... look forward to the tikihut/bar....soon !!!

Deerfield, you really are my neighbor. Thanks for the info, I think you nailed it. Sailorman must definitely be the place I heard about. I gave them a call and they seem to have what I need to a T. I'm going to try and stop by tomorrow - it looks like they have many tasty morsels for the backyard besides rusty chains.

Thanks TikiLaLe, getting the tiki bar soon sounds great; but first I have to ruminate for a while and let the inspiration from this forum sink in. That . . . and I need some more money too! Old useless rusty chain is apparently expensive!

Aloha and howdy!

Nice pool! Where did you get the tiles?

As for the chain... Sailorman is the place you want to go. Everywhere else has 'new' chain and it will look, well, new and shiney. Sailorman has both new and 'reclaimed' materials so you can get the patina of age without having to wait 50 years.

And, let us know when you are headed to Sailorman. Maybe we can meet you at the Mai Kai afterwards for some more field research.

Thanks Chip/Andy, sounds like a great idea. I didn't make it to Sailorman's today -I think I'll wait until the deck is underway before I pick up the chain.

The tile is from Luv Tile in Sarasota (luvtile.com). They call it Luv Quilts. They have another one called Hawaiian Reef that may wind up as a backsplash down the road.

I was gonna ask if I could be your Pool guy, but then I saw that you were in Florida,
damn,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

F

Thanks for posting where you found the tile, I saw it in the pisteures and was wondering where you got it. I love you backyard. I'm jealous.

E

Thought you might like to see this. I forgot until after I took the picture to turn on the frothing bubblers on the spa floor which in theory should give you a strong urge to throw a virgin into the pool.

[ Edited by: etohliver 2007-06-06 18:34 ]

NYCE! Verra NYCE!! Volcano-tub!!

Pages: 1 13 replies