Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki drinks in Orlando?

Pages: 1 19 replies

I searched the Locate forum and only came up with some lame restaurants and Disney's Polynesian Village. I'll be in Orlando in July...anyone know where to get good Tiki drinks (not necessarily looking for food or atmosphere)?

From what I read, the bar(s) in Disney's Polynesian Village might be the best (they actually use Orgeat), but I was hoping to do better than Disney.

Thanks.

P

On 2007-05-29 12:50, DemeraraDrinker wrote:
From what I read, the bar(s) in Disney's Polynesian Village might be the best (they actually use Orgeat), but I was hoping to do better than Disney.

Can't help you with the rest of Orlando (with the "Big Bamboo" having been gutted by fire)...but I can advise you to look for a bartender named Walt (no...not a joke...it's his real name) at the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian Village. His specialty is a killer Zombie that folks from all over the world have been returning to him to make for over 20 years!

:)

On 2007-05-29 14:23, PremEx wrote:

Can't help you with the rest of Orlando (with the "Big Bamboo" having been gutted by fire)...but I can advise you to look for a bartender named Walt (no...not a joke...it's his real name) at the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian Village. His specialty is a killer Zombie that folks from all over the world have been returning to him to make for over 20 years!

:)

Wow! That's my favorite Tiki drink...a Zombie. I'll give Walt a try.

there's a bar/lounge in downtown Orlando called Waitiki, I've never been there. I have no idea how good they are..I'm only 20 years old haha, but I plan on going there or the Polynesian Resort for my 21st birthday

http://www.wallstplaza.net/waitiki/

Waitiki's decore is pretty sweet other than the televisions, and I'm not just saying that because my art is hanging in there. However it's kind of a young party crowd atmospere. I only went there twice after it opened. The second time I went King Kukealele was playing and no one was paying attention. They were all to busy watching the presidential debates!! Pissed me off so I never went back. To tell the truth I'm not sure about the drinks which tells me they probably weren't worth remembering. I think it's worth checking out though.

Also the Monkey bar up stairs is pretty cool.

Good luck finding anything in Orlando.

P

Yeah, I remember that night. We actually started mocking people vociferously who were planted in this gorgeous bar watching political whitewash.

King Kukulele is at his best when no one is paying attention. His jokes are like finely honed bayonettes slicing off the heads of the oblivious posturers. He was brutal that night. There were many casualties.

The drinks there, annnnh. There are a few decent ones but nothing you'd write a song about.
(By my count, there are 2 new songs about the Mai Kai Rum Barrells that are going to be performed at the Hukilau this year.)

Agreed, the WaiTiki is very cool looking but if you are a drink elitist its not the place. 2.50 red stripes aren't bad tho. The monkey bar upstairs from waitiki has a good selection of novelty martinis and a good veiw and ummm errr monkeys

[ Edited by: TikiDuck 2007-05-30 12:51 ]

T

GO SOUTH!!!!

The "MAI KAI" in Ft.Lauderdale, it may take several hours drive. It IS worth
the drive!!! Once there order a Jet Pilot & strap on your bar seat belt.

Thortiki

On 2007-05-30 14:21, Thortiki wrote:
GO SOUTH!!!!

The "MAI KAI" in Ft.Lauderdale, it may take several hours drive. It IS worth
the drive!!! Once there order a Jet Pilot & strap on your bar seat belt.

Thortiki

Oh God, don't worry, I'm going to go down there someday, get a room within walking (stumbling) distance and get sh*t canned. But the Orlando thing is a business trip, so I can't sneak down south.

Ever since I went to the Tiki-Ti, I've been lusting after real Tiki drinks. I make them at home, but its a little harder to make a Zombie, Rum Runner, Blood and Sand, Puka Punch, and Missionary's Downfall one after another. Kind of messes up the kitchen (I will be building a bar soon). The Mai Kai looks like it would fit the bill.

B

Hey Dem,

When in July are you gonna be there? The wahine & I are at Disney for the 6th thru the 15th. Drinks at the Poly are on the itinerary for just about every day. If it works out, we'll meet ya there for a few. Other than that, I gotta agree with Thor....make the drive to Ft.Lauderdale.

Last year we stayed at disney and rented a car for one day, just to drive down to the MaiKai, then flew out of Ft. the next day.

No time for that this year unfortunately!

G

The Waitiki drinks are... okay, how do I phrase this? They suck. But go for the decor and the food, which is surprisingly good. Just don't try to pry the Flounder artwork off the walls. They don't budge. I've tried.

Bargoyle,

I'll be in Orlando from the 11th to the 14th. We're working most of the time, so I don't have an idea yet when I can get down to the Poly/Tambu Lounge, but right now the 11th is looking like the best day.

I'll PM you with my email address.

G

Here are a few Waitiki pics. I have more, but I can't locate them right now. If you do a search, there are more posted around Tiki Central.

That's pretty cool. I am in it mostly for the drinks, so I'm not sure I will go, but I will keep an open mind.

G

Sorry. You did say you were more interested in the drinks than the decor. I don't listen very well. You could try the bar at Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific Resort. I had a Mai-Tai and a mojito there once. The Mai-Tai was off (aren't they always), but not too bad. The mojito was properly made and to my liking. The bartenders seemed eager to please.

the mugs for purchase at Emeril's Tchoup Chop are really nice, might be worth going there for, the food an decor are excellent as well!

double post..whoops!

[ Edited by: hala_kahiki 2007-05-30 20:24 ]

On 2007-05-30 18:34, GatorRob wrote:
Sorry. You did say you were more interested in the drinks than the decor. I don't listen very well. You could try the bar at Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific Resort. I had a Mai-Tai and a mojito there once. The Mai-Tai was off (aren't they always), but not too bad. The mojito was properly made and to my liking. The bartenders seemed eager to please.

Good call. I'd also suggest Tchoup Chop, great drink selection, and the bartenders are very nice. If you decide to eat, grab some calamari!

-adrian

Wow, thanks for all the info. This really is a great forum. I will try to give Emeril's place a look.

I used to live in Orlando a long time ago. I don't remember much, but I do remember how hot it is in July. I'll be thirsty.

PI

The drinks at Jake's American Bar (at the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal) aren't too bad for a resort bar. The Air Raid is STRONG and good. The decor is nice, except on game nights when the tvs are all on. On the weekends, they sometimes have lounge singers.

My husband and I live in Orlando, so if you'd like to meet up for drinks, drop me a line.

Pages: 1 19 replies