Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Flavored Rums

Pages: 1 8 replies

Has anyone tried the Trader Vics' Mango, Pineapple, Coconut, and Banana flavored rums? What do you think? Would you substitute this in place of Malibu or Cruzan?

[ Edited by: fairlanerodder62 2007-05-31 13:29 ]

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller...

I think that's a "No". Just looking at the bottles, why WOULD one wanna try them. To me, serious rum afficionados do not consider flavored rums as rum. Plus the fact that the new generation of Trader Vic's rums now available can only be considered a mistake, what good could could come from flavoring them?

It really is a shame, a couple of years before these new ones came out, the grocery chain Trader Joe's had some of the earlier Trader Vic's rum brands on sale, and their "Mai Tai Rum" was really really nice.

The cheesiness of the bottle can be a good indicator of the quality. Those bottles look scary. Lately it seems the Vics company is going for marketing instead of concentrating on the product.

I'm not saying flavored rum is bad, there are some good ones out there. Brinley for vanilla, I have heard great things about Cruzan coconut. I don't drink them very often because I like the 80+ proof rums.

I haven't had any of the ones you pictured, but I have a bottle of Trader Vic's spiced rum. I've had it for several years and it's still completely full because the smell reminds me of a sweaty gym sock, and the taste is even worse.

The only other flavored rums I've purchased are Cruzan Coconut and Cruzan Mango. I liked both. If I'm feeling lazy I'll mix the Coconut with some pineapple juice and a lot of ice and be very happy. On occasion I'll even throw a bit of the Mango into a Mai Tai. My wife likes them that way. The Cruzan doesn't seem as sweet at other flavored brands, which is nice.

Having said that, which TV products are still worth looking out for (aside from the syrups).

RB

Speaking of flavored rums, Cruzan is apparently out with a "black cherry" version. Saw it listed as a new item on the Oregon Liquor Control Commission's June product list, but don't see anything about it on Cruzan's own website.

Flavored rums aren't bad in general--consider Cruzan's Coconut and Mango..they are very tastey and useful is certain exotic drink recipes. But I have to agree with the "cheesey" look of the new Trader Vic's falvored rums. I saw these just yesterday for the first time at my local Beverages & More. I also saw that they had just stocked a premium Trader Vic's coffee liquor. The bottle looked very expensive, unlike the flavored rum line. Can't figure Vic's out--what market are they trying to go for?

MN

Consider this......

Having/Tasting a rum or rums that remind you of tanned, hot, greazy/sweaty, nubile, sometimes blond young lasses at the beach wearing itsy bitsys and all their stuff falling out of those itsy bitsys is not that bad of an idea.

Hmmmm, what the hell was I talking about...?

Oh, yes! Rum. It is actually not that bad AND not that bad of an idea. They are like candy. (Which is a bad thing, legally speaking!!) These rums actually make tropical drinks palatable to the non-coniseur or our wives that like a sweeter drink than some tropicals can provide.

Having/Tasting a rum or rums that remind you of tanned, hot, greazy/sweaty, nubile, sometimes blond young lasses at the beach wearing itsy bitsys and all their stuff falling out of those itsy bitsys is not that bad of an idea.

Hmmmm, what the hell was I talking about...?

http://www.greyhoundog.org/

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-10-02 15:05 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies