Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

reggae

Pages: 1 9 replies

R

Just curious, hoping somebody could help me out. I'm a big fan of tiki, obviously. I was fortunate enough to attend the Huki Lau last year. My musical interest evolves around reggae. Don't get me wrong, I like it all, but reggae is my go to. I noticed at the event that their was very little in the way of this kind of music. Is the jamacain sound tabu in the tiki world????

K
kirby posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 9:06 AM

Its not taboo for me, I love reggae,I just saw "eek a mouse" and the b-foundation a couple weeks ago..

Symarip, "Skinhead Moonstomp". Classic. Given the choice of keeping either all of my Tiki goods, or my Symarip disc, it'll be Symarip every time.

P

It's not the preferred style of music as outlined in the well-stated "Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop" that Hanford posted just under the "open 24 hours" sign near the top of this page, but it's certainly an island feeling music and like the rums we love so, distinctly Caribbean.

I enjoy playing it a little although I got kind of tired of listening to it back in the late 80s.

Just my opinion, though. I can take it in small doses as long as it's not the insufferable rapping drone of the stoned and self-important wanna-be rastafarians who embrace the weed but ignore the love. Disgusting tripe, that.

Sure you don't want to start a slack key collection instead? :wink:

R

80's reggae, ewww!! to much computer sound

i'm talkin the groovin stuff from the 70's, distinct bass line, one drop drum beat, rythm section holding it together while the guitars "chank a chank a", and hopefully some horns doin there thing.

Rastiki, have you checked out some of the good Jawaiian stuff?

There are radio stations in Hawaii that seem to play nothing but. It's got an upbeat Reggae sound (definitely not 70's Reggae, though), but with a good dose of Hawaiian influence. The lyrics are more about hawaiian themes like surfing, girls, hanging on the beach, etc... - Vs. the usual reggae themes - Revolution, oppression, getting stoned, etc...

It's good music, and for me always evokes an excellent island vibe.

On 2007-05-31 08:44, Rastiki wrote:
Is the jamacain sound tabu in the tiki world????

I think you'll find reggae gets played more at tiki parties in people's homes, along with (cringe) Jimmy Buffet, Contemporary Hawaiian, Electronica, or whatever else the host of the party enjoys. When I host tiki cocktail parties, I like to throw a few Fats Waller jazz records on the old 78rpm player because it adds a nostalgic feel to the event. However, I wouldn't expect 1920s Jazz to be played at an event like Hukilau.

Tiki events at the old tiki restaurants and hotels, like Hukulau and Oasis, are more about stepping back in time and enjoying the heyday of Tiki Culture from the late 1950s thru the 1960s. So you'll find more Exotica and Classic Hawaiian music played at these events because that was what was actually played in those restaurants at that time. Who knows? - maybe a little Harry Belafonte got played at the Mai Kai back in the day, but reggae just wasn't around then and wasn't part of the Polynesian experience that these places were evoking.

So, while you probably won't be hearing much reggae at the large tiki events, keep enjoying what you like and don't be afraid to play what you like when you have folks over. You'll find that some folks are purists and will stick to Exotica and Hawaiian, but other folks are more open to listening to other styles of music while sipping a mai tai.

Sabu

BM

I really dig old Reggae too...it SORTA jives with at least the drinking aspect of tiki but yeah I guess it does sorta clash with the polynesian aspect of all such things. I too prefer the old Marley/Heptones/Lee Perry times --plus ska & old Toots is the way to go...and anyone who got burned out on REGGAE should try playing a lot of EXOTICA back to back..I may be on the verge of burnout to THAT fairly soon...although that TRULY is relaxing stuff

Nyabingi (sp?)!

D

Listen to Dub. It's trippier.

Pages: 1 9 replies