Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Familiar looking 3-foot carving

Pages: 1 7 replies

This guy looks like those fork and spoon sets, but he's about three feet tall carved from pine maybe. Looks machine carved (identical figures) and glued together. Also looks like there may have been more to it. A friend of mine found it among some estate stuff from a guy who did general contracting and remodeling around KC, so who knows where it may have come from. There are no markings that we can find.

The bottom line question is, anybody seen this guy before? What/ why is it? Is it common? I've never seen one, that doesn't mean much.

Thanks!

Orchids of Hawaii used to sell ones pretty close to that one:

This is from the 1990 catalog

Buzzy

Yep, that's gotta be it! The bottom feet on this one are broken, which would account for the missing platform. Cool! Thanks!

Of all the late Orchids offerings, that one is probably the best you could find. That 'Exciting South Sea Wall Decor/painted Shield' on the lower right looks like one of the denizens of Sponge Bob's Bikini Bottom, after he has become road kill! :lol:

T

Heres just one.

HC

In the lava rain forest with Tikiskip !!!!!! (If only they knew the rain was Italian!) ...I so like your lamp creations John...aloha

Good eye, B.P. Buzzy.

Those were made in the P. I. (Phillipine Islands). It's probably monkeypod wood. Looks like you could putty in the rest of the foot and add a square of wood to form the base. It might be fun to grab a thrift store monkeypod dish with a cool shape, flip it upside down and attach the pole to the flat bottom for an organic shaped base. Nice find!

Pages: 1 7 replies