Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Great Stuff Showcase (the comments)

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 2:35 PM

On 2007-04-27 14:18, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

On 2007-04-27 13:54, Humuhumu wrote:

Creating Tiki has never been about showcasing great stuff...

then by all means, start a Great Stuff Showcase forum.

I think that this is a great idea. I'm one of those Magazine guys over a book guy, cause I like tons of pictures. Usually a good picture will draw me in to read or wanting to know about it.

There are so many good pics scattered around TC and TC is probably the best place for top/ interesting tiki photos. I'm proposing a Showcase thread in Collecting with member's top two or three(if different mediums)maybe four pics of what they think is their best work.

Just to open this up to many more TCers, collector top commissions (2or3) and/or top finds.

Pictures will be at a standard size. 4X6in. (or 648 x 864 pixels )

If you have a new favorite piece, you edit your post and replace an old pic with the new. There will be no writing or comments in these posts. All comments will be sent to this post with a link at the top of the thread. There should probably be a hyperlink ((ex. your TCname)) that people can click to see more of your work/ favorite thread here on TC. The hyperlink just looks cleaner and more info about it can be found on [Help/FAQ] under the search function about Hyperlinks.

I probably have to find some of my pics so anyone wants to start or I can with a pic of my dad's work.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-02 16:08 ]

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-04 13:01 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 2:49 PM

Link to Showform photos

I looked at the 4 x 6 pic and it looked too small, so I posted a 5 x 7. Probably could go a bit bigger still maybe 6 x 8. Something that fits good within the computer screen.

T

I'm having a hard time translating your meaning here?

com·mit (kə-mĭt') Pronunciation Key
v. com·mit·ted, com·mit·ting, com·mits

v. tr.

1. To do, perform, or perpetrate: commit a murder.
  2. To put in trust or charge; entrust: commit oneself to the care of a doctor; commit responsibilities to an assistant.
  3. To place officially in confinement or custody, as in a mental health facility.
  4. To consign for future use or reference or for preservation: commit the secret code to memory.
  5. To put into a place to be kept safe or to be disposed of.
  6. To make known the views of (oneself) on an issue: I never commit myself on such issues.
  7. To bind or obligate, as by a pledge: They were committed to follow orders.
  8. To refer (a legislative bill, for example) to a committee.

Is it possible that this is what you meant?

com·ment (kŏm'ìnt) Pronunciation Key
n.

A statement of fact or opinion, especially a remark that expresses a personal reaction or attitude,
or an implied conclusion or judgment.

Thanks for the clarification...

Tikisgrl

J
JTD posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 3:50 PM

I think he means "comments", but there's no telling.

T

I think that 'comments' actually sounds more like 'comets' than 'commits' so the incorrect spelling of the word always had me picturing one of the following:

1. A giant ball of frozen gas and rocks that streaks through the night sky and leaves a tail of debris.

2. A WNBA team from Houston, which actually has a fairly decent record and a couple of cute players.

3. A pioneering rock and roll band led by one Bill Haley.

4. Going to view the last passage of Haley's comet quite a long time ago.

5. Hale-Bopp

6. Shoemaker Levy crashing into Jupiter.

I always thought it was amusing.

TT

I vote #3 in Tikigrl's post. :P

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-06-02 17:40 ]

I like option #1 in Tikisgrl's post myself.....

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 4:13 PM

"I'm having a hard time translating your meaning here?"
"Thanks for the clarification..."-Tikisgrl"

Q: Did you ask me a question and then answer it yourself?

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-02 17:19 ]

T

I didn't know what you meant by COMMITS, I was hoping that you would be reviewing this thread. I was thanking you in advance for providing clarification of what your use of the word COMMITS meant.

Tikisgrl

N

In an effort to prevent any future confusion I am posting this preview of my forthcoming posting of my in-depth look at Tiki Comets.

While I can't commit to an exact date I'll start the post I certainly look foward to your comments!

[ Edited by: nitropic 2007-06-02 17:51 ]

[ Edited by: nitropic 2007-06-02 17:52 ]

T

I think this artwork is well executed, but most importantly, very very kewl. When you do decide to commit to a comet date, please let us know. Will there be event T-shirts and commemorative mugs?

On 2007-06-02 17:50, nitropic wrote:
In an effort to prevent any future confusion I am posting this preview of my forthcoming posting of my in-depth look at Tiki Comets.

While I can't commit to an exact date I'll start the post I certainly look foward to your comments!

Yeah, put me down for a comet T-shirt in XL, and a commitorative mug.

you cannot post your own creations in the Great Stuff Forum...

It first needs to be nominated, then seconded. At this point the Secret Great Stuff Committy will vote. If the item in question gets a 2/3 vote or higher, it moves on to be ratified by the Great Stuff Pubah. in the event of a veto, the committy can get the item approved with a umnanimous vote.

Without these system in place, the Great Stuff Forum would look like this

-Z

On 2007-06-03 07:47, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

you cannot post your own creations in the Great Stuff Forum...

It first needs to be nominated, then seconded. At this point the Secret Great Stuff Committy will vote. If the item in question gets a 2/3 vote or higher, it moves on to be ratified by the Great Stuff Pubah. in the event of a veto, the committy can get the item approved with a umnanimous vote.

Without these system in place, the Great Stuff Forum would look like this

-Z

Without the vote & ratification could you still get your stuff in the Not Quite Great but Still Pretty Spiffy Forum?

B

I'd like to make a comment about the commitment to get the comet into the picture but the committees already commented about the committal to commemorate the Comet I was thinking of committing to comment on.
That said how do we make a picture a specific size like 4 X 6 or whatever the new size is today?

On 2007-06-04 11:46, Benzart wrote:
I'd like to make a comment about the commitment to get the comet into the picture but the committees already commented about the committal to commemorate the Comet I was thinking of committing to comment on.
That said how do we make a picture a specific size like 4 X 6 or whatever the new size is today?

It requires a small ruler & a quick trip to measure all TCers' PC screen resolution.

H

On 2007-06-04 12:14, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2007-06-04 11:46, Benzart wrote:

It requires a small ruler & a quick trip to measure all TCers' PC screen resolution.

I taped aa 4x6 photo to my monitor and used a toothpick to count the pixels along teh edges and came up with 426 x 640 pixels. This works much better than teh ruler method becus you can get the most exact pixel count. This is also a good way because all you do is count and you don';t need to divide any big numbers. You want the pixel count to be accurate so that the pictures will look good. Additionally, I thought of this way to get the size so I should get a free comet t-shirt.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.