Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Okinawa 'Tiki' Mugs

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

I picked up a couple of Shisa Dog mugs from Sam's Restaurants, which are located in Okinawa, Japan. For the geographically challenged, Okinawa is the largest island in the Ryukyu chain, an archipelago between Japan and Taiwan. Although Okinawa is now part of Japan, they are culturally different (including different language) and was once an independent kingdom.

Sam's is a small chain of tropical/maritime themed restaurants that have been in Okinawa since at least 1970s, when I was growing up there. The restaurants went by several names, including "Sam's Anchor Inn" and "Sam's by the Sea".

The mugs are that of a stylized Shisa Dog, which is a traditional Okinawan figure that looks kind of like a cross between a dragon and a lion. Shisa Dogs are not unlike Polynesian tikis, and are supposed to ward off evil spirits.

A real Shisa Dog

Montage of Sam's decor

Front of Sam's by the Sea

Front of Sam's Anchor Inn (note the 'Exotic Tropical Drinks')

Inside of Sam's by the Sea

Inside of Sam's Anchor Inn

Some more decor

Those are some really kool mugs. I guess if I'm ever in Japan I will have to pick one up.

ST

I was there about 7 years ago, missed seeing the mugs though.

C
croe67 posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 9:23 AM

Very nice!
Thanks for posting - these places hadn't yet made it onto my tiki-radar. Will have to see about checking them out on a future trip to japan :wink:

K
kctiki posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 3:50 PM

Very interesting. My son's stationed in Okinawa and I've been known to lecture him about his spending to saving ratio. But maybe I'll see if I can talk him into going to Sam's & getting one of those mugs. It would be a great memento.

I picked up one of those a local garage sale at a Japanese family's house, so they do show up here occasionally. I like the design too.

Sabu

Pages: 1 5 replies