Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

NEW VIntage Cryin' Tiki Mug!

Pages: 1 8 replies

P

Well, with the help of our great friends at CHEEKYTIKI we finally got a tiki mug from an old 60s Duncan Tiki mug mold I got on eBay. In was really excited as I don't have this mug in my collection nor have I ever seen one! I have a Cryin' Tiki Candle holder and I know there is a Cryin' Tiki Candle in TIKI QUEST but I've never seen a ceramic mug.

First off Anjy & Jamie poured the mug...

Then Jamie inspected it to see if it reached the high CHEEKYTIKI standards...

Then it was time for Anjy to remove it from the mold...

Sadly, the first one out of the mold, didn't pass the grade!...

The next was a roaring success and held the detail really well...

Eventually the Cryin' Tiki was glazed with Antique Brown on the outside...

and Grey Spice on the inside...

We think it looks GREAT! I have posted before on the importance of glazes, making or breaking a good tiki mug. I think we've gotten this one dead right!

If you have one in your collection I'd love to know what colour it is? I think a matt Lava Black would be pretty cool too. I'll probably try a couple of other variations.

We will be taking two or three to the LONDON LUAU Trading Post, come and take a closer look! I'm not too sure how many of these mugs we will get from the mold but we will probably put one up on eBay when we've recovered from the LUAU. We'll post on TC to say when it is on.

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai in a Cryin' Tiki Mug!

Real nice job. Yep, I think you nailed the glaze for that one. I hope the mold holds out.I'm looking forward to getting one of those.

Hey! I have that candle! Got it in Hawaii in '77! I love it! Mine is black...it formally had a slight drybrush of a goldenbrown on the high points but that has since gone bye bye!I'll take a snapshot and upload it for you! I would Love to have one of those cups! I think that would be my new favorite for sentimental reasons as well as aesthetic! Really looks great!

WE WANT ONE IS THERE A LIST TO GET ON? WENDY

Very nice! Add me to the list!

Nice! I'd love to have one!

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-06-07 05:13 ]

Now look what you have started Jim :wink:

P

THERE'S NO LIST!

The main reason is that we have no idea how many mugs will come from this mold. The mold has been used before and while the mugs coming out at the moment have great detail, we have no really don't know what number we will get in total. I have the first two ere at Tiki Towers and Anjy told me that there are four finished at CHEEKYTIKI (should get those tonight) and I think three more to go in the kiln, two of which were glazed by my own fair hand...so there's NO guarantee that they'll be any good!

We'll keep you posted as to the progress on this one. I just think it is way cool to have resurrected this mug from an otherwise forgotten mold.

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

Pages: 1 8 replies