Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Amy Winehouse

Pages: 1 11 replies

It's been a long time since a singer has captured my attention (and heart) like Amy Winehouse. Her music, looks, attitude and demeanor just reeled me in. I've watched her MTV Film Awards performance 3 times! Lets face it...I'm a sucker for a sultry, dangerous, distracted songstress "with issues". My favorites past & present include - Exene, Lydia Lunch, Wendy O. Williams, Sinead O'Connor, Nico, Marianne Faithful, Patti Smith, Bjork & Ursula Dudziak. I don't remember who coined the phrase- "She's a crumbling beauty", but most of my fave female artists (now or later) seem to fall into that catagory..."I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille"

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey 2007-06-07 21:06 ]

B
Bincho posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 9:00 PM

Wendy O. Williams & the Plasmatics-- I used to see her in downtown NYC when I was 15! Good stuff!

I suggest you check out..............PEACHES!

V

I agree. I really like her last album. I can't stop listening to it while taking the metro to work.

A lovely singer is Amy but I think big thanks should go to her record producer who made her sound so distinctive. My favorite female singer has to be Poly Styrene from X-ray Spex so soulful :)

On 2007-06-07 13:05, atomictonytiki wrote: My favorite female singer has to be Poly Styrene

The X-Ray Spex connection made me think of another band I liked from that era with female singer Fay Fife http://www.rezillos.com/. Who can forget songs like: "Flying Saucer Attack" and "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight".

T

13 year old of Canada sings Ella Fitzgerald songs !!!! Kid just sang on a album with Diani Kroll Sherly Crow and all female cast...just soldout this past weekends Montreal Jazz Festival. Awesome kid...Love AMY 2 just needs get back to her weight she had on her last CD !!!
nikkionline.ca

W

I too was wowed by Miss Winehouse's music. Pretty neat soul (I guess) that isn't imitative or just nonsensical vocal theatrics. The album has a summer in the city kinda sound remindin' me of bright hot concrete, cool humid parks, and all the windows open through the short warm night.

I saw the Rehab video on MTV (yes, they still play videos between 2-6 AM) and was impressed by her look in that she isn't a standard cookie cutter kinda popster. She seems to have a real person kinda body which is nice to see in this day when a "band" finds a new member via a reality TV show to see which gal looks and movess the most like a stripper.

(And yep, it's pretty danged stupid to be discussin' an artist's looks, but hell, I'm a 21st century American. It's what we do.)

I love Ms Winehouse. What really sold me was getting to see her live and knowing her voice wasn't some pro tools trickery... She reminds me a bit of Dinah Washington vocally... especially on "Me and Mr. Jones" which is my current favorite song right now...

Here's a link to download a live concert in Amsterdam from April. Shhhhhhhh, it's a secret!

R.I.P. Amy

I always find it sad to find a liquor store close up like this. I'm not much of a wine drinker so the loss is less for me. But most of my friends and family are huge wine aficionados so I know they will be upset at the news.

Wait?

What?

Winehouse is a person?

Are you sure?

OK.......

Never mind my previous post. Apparently the rock I live under was interfering with the news.

So sad. I guess.

S

Im' gutted.....I've been crying ever since I found out. No one like the Camden Queen....

Pages: 1 11 replies