Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki supports/stands/spikes

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

hello all!

I am trying to find the cheapest an easiest way to support basic wooden tiki torches in very fine sand. i dont need the fancy, expensive ones, out of concrete or iron, just something plastic or wood. I am really having trouble finding any! I dont have time to go to home depot and make my own, so does anyone have any good ideas or website suggestions?

thanks alot!

robin

M

Buying Tiki Torches should not be difficult...

They can be had at your local Michaels store for less that $10 each

If you are seeking a way to hold them up in sand I would go to home depot and purchase LONG concrete forms stakes...

The are heavy steel bars about 2 inches wide and about 3/8" thick and come in varying lengths..

Get a nice 2 footer and a heavy hammer and pound them into the sand next to the torch... then I would use some natural fibre rope (also from home depot or lowes) and simply wrap the stake to the base of the tiki torch..

It should hold it fine...

M

well, buying the torches are not difficult, that isnt what i said. just trying to keep them standing on the beach is my problem. but i will try the metal rods, thanks for the tip!

thanks again

robin

D

don't you just need to stick them in the sand?

M

yeah, but the weight of the oil on top and a little wind blow them right over. these are very inexpensive wooden torches

S

For a low tech approach, you might get some PVC a little bigger than the torch rod and cut it at an angle on one end and hammer it into the sand then drop the torch into that. Then you have something you can really drive deep in the sand rather than the torch. If the hole is too deep for the torch, you can put sand in the PVC to fill to a better height. ANd you might put some grip tape on the other end so when you want to pull it out of the sand, you can hopefully do so.

Try rebar. Home Depot sells it in short lengths(1', 2', 3'). Just hammer it into the sand, and slip the bamboo tiki torch over the rebar.

M

Rebar is a great idea. Party stores are also a good source for cheap torches.

http://TelstarLounge.blogspot.com

M

a bamboo torch will only slide down as far as the first node....

if you want it to go more that 8-10 inches up the pole with rebar then you will need to break out a few nodes...

Pages: 1 8 replies