Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

US Customs and Cuban products

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey guys,
I'm going to be in Canada in July, and would love to be able to take some Havana Club 7 Anos back with me from the duty free shop. Trouble is, I've never been across the border and don't know what to expect. I have no issue getting into Canada, and I haven't read any experiences yet where someone had their rum confiscated, but as a matter of precaution, i would like to know what to expect when I get to US Customs coming back from Canada and how they work their searches. I have been reading the forums about this and feel very positive but I guess there's always that one time...

Anything anyone would like to share about it? PS - I did place a mail order for a few bottles and hopefully I'll see them but i'm not banking on it... I was lucky I got my nips from eBay given the situation...

I think it all depends. I've driven across the border from Canada to Vermont and taken the train across into New York. The train was the weekend of the Montreal Jazz Festival and they searched quite extensively. Returning to Vermont by car we were only questioned about where we'd been, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are limits on how much liquor you can bring in of any type from outside the country. I believe it's one liter per person. Coming back from Mexico we're always careful not to exceed one liter per person, so that when they ask us how much we have we can truthfully say "two liters" (or less). Knock on wood so far they've never asked us specifically what type of liquor it was.

When I was in Canada last year, the drive back was no sweat. They asked where we'd been, if we were bringing anything back. Liquor. They didn't even ask how much.
I wasn't able to get any Havana Club while I was there--it was a Sunday, so most stores were closed, the one that was open was sold out, and they don't sell it in a duty free. Like I said, the one store I found had it, so it's probably pretty common. There was one other liquor store open, but that reminded me more of Bev Mo, and they didn't carry Havana Club.
If you do find it, and want to bring it back, I doubt you'll have any problems. You never know....

K

I just came back from Mexico on Wednesday (6/13) with a bottle of Havana Club in my checked luggage. I had no problems. When asked if I had anything to declare I stated a couple bottles of liquor.
I was told in Mexico you can bring 2 liters of booze per person. The wife and I ended up with 1 bottle of Havana Club Blanco, 1 bottle of tequila, 1 bottle of mezcal, and 1 bottle of Agavero (tasty), and a few minis of tequila.
We drank the bottle of Havana Club 7 year while we were there. hic

We were also told two liters per person, but when you look at the actual customs declaration form it says one liter per person. Of course we saw people with a lot more than that, so whatever. I guess it depends on their mood that day whether or not they want to bust people with more.

Guys, thanks for the replies. I will totally chance it across the Canadian border just because I'll be up there anyway.i just got my hands on a bottle of Havana Club Anejo Especial, and it's very good. I also got two bottles of the Blanco and expecting more soon from overseas (hope I get 'em :)) So when I go to Canada I'm gonna look for some 7-year since I've been hearing nothing but good things about it. Maybe some Cuban Barrel Proof if I can find it...

S

Oh sure, just keep teasing us! That's just mean.

:)

T

Make sure you are aware of the customs rates and restrictions as they will be unique for Cuba.

On 2007-06-25 19:26, trader7 wrote:
Make sure you are aware of the customs rates and restrictions as they will be unique for Cuba.

I ordered from Germany actually... not sure if that makes a difference.

Pages: 1 8 replies