Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki post rotting

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

How do I stop my tiki god from rotting? It's starting to rot from the bottom of the tiki on the backside where it's not carved but has bark on it. It's too heavy for a stand however I could place it on a few bricks but not sure how it would look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

HOK

http://www.minwax.com/products/woodmaint/hardener.cfm Does the Tiki get wet alot ? :oops: Is it in a moist location :oops: :oops: You could let it dry and use a product like this as a base coat and seal it with something (clear coat, wax or ???) Freddie

HOK

For got to ask...what kind of wood??

T

Not sure what kind of wood it is but will ask my father n law- he'd know. Yes, it does get wet alot for two reasons. I live in Huntington Beach, CA. and it's next to my lawn and pool. Sprinklers hit it almost everyday. Minwax? Should have thought of that one myself being an expainting contractor. Boy was I bad at that. Good thing I got out of that racket.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt

establish where you want to display the tiki.sink a treadted 4x4,leaving about half the height of the tiki. place some flat stone slightly pitched forward,to drain water away, just in front of the 4x4.set the tiki on the stone predrilling the 4x4 ,run 2 galvanized lag bolts though the 4x4 into the back of the tiki. make sure you are laging into good solid wood. now, landscape around the 4x4 ,and keep the tiki soaked in a good penetrating protectant. do not seal,penetrate.of course this should be done after you clean out and stop the rot. the rot TD

What's this about tiki pot roasting??

Pages: 1 5 replies