Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

PopShop Opening AND FINALLY Tonga Hut Pictures...

Pages: 1 12 replies

I am having a ‘gallery’ opening next Friday Night, January 31, from 6:30 to 8:30 PM, and I wanted to invite you’all to come…

I will be presenting a series of twenty acrylic and assemblage paintings called the Pop Shop. The affordably priced works are filled with vintage 3D title letters and little toys and trinkets. You can get a sneak preview of some of the work at http://www.megorama.com/POPSHOP.htm
Oh and by the way – one of the paintings is named and dedicated to one of Tiki Central’s own… Mr. Smiley!!!

It’s at a bubble tea lounge called the Boba Bar. And there will be Fortune Cookies and live Casiotone music!
Boba Bar is located at 12044 1/2 West Ventura Blvd., just east of Laurel Canyon (across the parking lot from Dupar's in the Studio City Center) in Studio City -763-4790
The show runs from Friday, January 31 to March 2. They’re open every day from 11 AM - 11 PM and Sat. and Sun 11 AM – Midnight

Thanks for Listening :)

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-01-31 01:31 ]

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-04-30 03:12 ]

M

Futura girl sez:I am having a ‘gallery’ opening next Friday Night, January 31, from
6:30 to 8:30 PM, and I wanted to invite you’all to come…
I will be presenting a series of twenty acrylic and assemblage
paintings called the Pop Shop. The affordably priced works are filled with
vintage 3D title letters and little toys and trinkets. You can get a sneak
preview of some of the work at http://www.megorama.com/POPSHOP.htm
Oh and by the way – one of the paintings is named and dedicated to one
of Tiki Central’s own… Mr. Smiley!!!
----------mrsmiley sez: I hope you can post, email or mail me an image of that painting!---bruce thanks

Click on the photo to see a larger view.

These paintings are simple abstracts like this with the focus on the toys or trinkets and a way complex deep 'artsy' meaning :)

That's a genuine 1970's Smiley Face bought in a Wisconsin Dells gift shop on a cross-country family road trip in what I believe was the summer of 1971. I have a vivid memory of the tourist trap store with a huge sea of smiley pins and rings!

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-01-23 21:22 ]

Be there or be....

Just to forewarn my fellow Tiki Centralites - "Boba Bar" isn't the kind of bar where you can get Mai Tais - they serve tapioca bubble tea. Try one - you might like it! But maybe those who are yearning for other refreshments could head over to the divey, yet delightful Tonga Hut afterwards? It's at 12808 Victory Blvd North Hollywood, CA (818) 769-0708 (a few miles north of Boba Bar and just east of Coldwater Canyon)

Weird One will welcome Futura's Friday's fanfare of posted painted pictures at boba bar's ballyhoo! Seeyou in Studio City, suave Centralites.

-Weird Unc

I just stopped into the Tonga Hut tonight to make sure they'll still be there. You never know these days - we're losing the nearby Leon's Steakhouse soon.
Anyway - it's a plan - after the art opening is over - Tiki Centralites and friends - we'll make the trek a few miles north to visit the 8 foot Moai Head by the front door and enjoy some libations.
They usually play rock music - but maybe we can coax them to play a Denny tape or CD?

FuturaGirl!
How did your event end up? Did you sell all of your prints or was it strictly an exibition? Any pictures of drunken madness?

FINALLY got around to posting these pictures of the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood...
the tiki outside the front door - with me and c.b. howlie
the tiki just inside the front door
inside with iuka grogg and king kukulele
the little tiki altar in the back corner.

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-04-30 03:12 ]

Nice pics Futura Girl, but I wouldn't let Cherry Capri know that you're holding hands with CB Howlie! Or is there a cozy threesome going on here that I don't know about. :oops:

You do look exceptionally radiant in that first picture, Futura Girl, hmmmmm. :)

Wait, so Cheri Capri is the one married to CB? I thought that it was Futura. I'm so confused.....

....or am I?

Great art work Mary-Margaret

Spike
http://www.kikatiki.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-04-30 23:16 ]

On 2003-04-30 21:03, vintagegirl wrote:
Nice pics Futura Girl, but I wouldn't let Cherry Capri know that you're holding hands with CB Howlie! Or is there a cozy threesome going on here that I don't know about. :oops:

Well you know Vintage Girl - I think Cherry and Miss Trixie got something going on! That Cherry - she's a wild one...

Pages: 1 12 replies