Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

pdrake new stuff check it!! 7/19

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

P

well, i'm going to start a new thread. i have many projects going right now and i've forgotten how inspiring and motivating it is to share with everyone.

here's something i started tonight. it's bubanga and bone.

thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-07-02 20:14 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-07-10 22:58 ]

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-07-19 20:12 ]

B

Cool Pdrake....can't wait to see this thread start smokin with the latest and greatest...Hope to see you at the TTC.

P

thanks a lot babalu. i'm looking forward to it.

here's a little more progress. gotta get into that tiny little face next.

this s gonna be a cool hook, p. i dig the shapes of the wood and bone. i, too, look forward to meeting you at oasis. i hope you have a few cool pieces to trade or sell.

P

thanks a lot bullet. i hope to have quite a bit of great stuff by then. i'm working my hands until they ache.

somebody asked me how it fit together. here's how and another progress shot of the tiny head. (remind me not to carve this small again.)

it will be lashed with a braided cord also.

That looks like it is going to be really something PD.

Nice :)

KS

On 2007-06-21 19:51, pdrake wrote:
i'm working my hands until they ache.

I can attest to that. :blush:

Yo Perry: How small (big) is that piece?

My guess: one and three quarters inches.
Buzzy

P

that's just because i miss somebody.

damn, i think i'm going to have to cut out tiny, tiny pieces of sand paper to finish this. my eyes hurt.

Get a room!

P

oops, sorry buzzy. i had to go out on las vegas blvd and panhandle for a dime. i'm broke as the gov right now.

here's a pic for scale.

P

okay, my eyeballs hurt now. time to rest them. i think i can get the wood part done tomorrow. thanks for checking out my stuff.

my pictures really suck. sorry.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-06-21 22:25 ]

Hi PD

Does your camera have macro? Some have a better macro than others, and without it, you will never get a nice close up shot.

KS

Good to see this new matau from you. There havent been too many hooks around recently. Fiddly fingerwork.

Speaking of new works from pdrake; I just received a new Moai in the post today!! Yay! Thanks mate, he's a beaut!
-Our camera is away at a 5yr olds disco tonight so I cant take a pic but want to ask, what sort of jade is set into the earlobe? Its a nice yellow-green but not NZ? Im thinking...

Happy Easter Brah! :wink:

Tama :)

B

Looking Great Perry, I Really think you should go Smaller, don't you? :) :) :) What kind of wood is it?

P

thanks tama. that's siberian jade. looking forward to a pic with you. i hope you like it.

thanks ben. it's bubinga (african rosewood).

http://www.exotic-wood.com/bubinga.htm

kiwi, i don't know if my camera has a macro. i just want my designated photographer to come up and take pictures of it. :wink:

P

hey! what do you know! my camera does have macro! thanks kiwi!

now to just get macro sanding bits.

P

well, the wood part is almost all finished. just a little sanding in the tight spots on the face. this wood is fan-freaking-tastic! it finishes to a glass like finish. when the wax goes onit will bring out the shine so much. the grain that you can't really see is sooo tight and wavy. i thought it was sanding marks. it feels like touching love.

should i put the white stain on it?

PD - its perfect as it is! (IMHO).

Absolutley smashing! And congrats on mastering the mysteries of the macro camera :)

KS

P

thank you very much kiwi. well, the face is done pretty much. it's going to take some polish with bee's wax and spit.

what do you think?

P

now to start on the bone part. the lashing area on the wood is going to need to be modified. the lines need to be parallel in order for the cord to lay correctly. no problem man. i can do it!

(i'm so happy i found the macro setting.)

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-06-22 21:59 ]

P

well, bone part is done. now to put it all together.

P

TASTY looking wood-N-boner pdrake! :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

On 2007-06-23 19:16, pdrake wrote:

P

thanks, jones. i gotta let it rest for the night before i work on it to let the inlay set in right and proper, so i'm going to work on this:

this "dolphin" hook will have a couple of different kinds of inlays. it's from a koa burl i got from hawaii. it's a very, very pretty wood.

On 2007-06-23 19:16, pdrake wrote:

PD - cool. You have done a fab job on both the wood and the bone.

awesome.

P

well, just a final polish and wax and it will go up on the chopping block.

P

well, on the advice of someone i changed the lashing. it did look a little too nautical and like an anchor rope compared to the rest of the hook.

what do you think now?

I think it looks damn good both ways...If I had my choice.. I'd wear the newer look. Great Stuff!

Agree PD - the black detracts less from the artwork. It may be the flatter cord too.

Good work, and good idea to throw it out there for comments too, as not all of us agree!

Congrats

KS

P

thanks freddie and kiwi. i got some other feedback on the black cord as well, and it seems that was definitley the way to go.

i really appreciate the feedback.

P

well, it's done. i'm going to finish up the toggle, mastadon ivory, with a nice moari spiral.

thanks for looking.

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 8:13 PM

another cool lttle piece i'm working on. anyone have some advice? anyone that has any experience with this, particularly how to finish this wood? it's cocobola. i've never used it before.

thanks

B

It's Really Pretty wood but VERY Toxic, so wear your mank and wash your face and hands after working with it. Looks like another super Perry Piece!

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 8:43 PM

oh

i guess that's good to know. i was wondering why it was a little itchy. i didn't wear my mask with just the wood, but i did wash up right away. i have been wearing the mask since i put the paua on it. i do know how toxic that is.

thanks a lot ben.

Those pieces are looking good. Cocobolo was one of the first woods I started carving (Pens). It has beatiful colors that range from Black to Purple to Orange. I would finished thet stuff with anything clear. Once the clear coat goes on you will really see the color POP! It is nasty stuff - I can't work with it any more. If this wood affects you then be carefull when working with some of the other exotic woods. Its a very common problem. Good luck.

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 8:41 PM

thanks a lot. i appreciate the feedback. so far no bad reactions from the wood. i have donned the mask.

here's a little updat. almost done with the wood/paua part. only a couple of more grits to go.

too bad it's dark. i'll try and take some pics outside tomorrow. the shell is breathtakingly beautiful. it's amazing that something that strikingly colorful comes from nature.

here's a sneak peek at another little thing i'm working on, too.

mahalo!

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 9:04 PM

this is a little better shot.

P

here's the barb part. almost finished. ancient mammoth tusk.

KK

Wow brah! Youve done some sweet ono kine work there! The Kahawai lure is looking good! Im excited to see the finished piece!!!
I sparked some of your other stuff bruddah and its pono!

Jammin...

Aloha auinala!

P

mahalo nui loa!

the tiny part of the barb is gone. the gods said it no work. it's going to be more traditionally finished on the end. (smooth)

i hope i can lash it up right. :D

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 1:40 PM

well, here's some sunny pics. today is lash day. wish me luck.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 1:54 PM

Lookin' real good Perry. The materials all work together nicely. I've always wanted to tackle (har-har) one of these myself but haven't the patience to do the wood (or stone in my case) and shell laminate.
The black vs. natural binding is a matter of personal preference I guess. On a very traditional piece I would go with sinew for added authentitcity,but on a more contemporary one the black looks fine.

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2007 4:38 PM

thanks, paipo. yeah, i went with natural on this piece. first try at the lashing. i thinks it's okay considering it's the first time.

B

Oh YEAH, Thats what I'm Talkin about. Sweet, Sweet Sweet!

that looks great p! nice job on the binding and the wood/paua piece is beautiful.

P

thanks, bullet. i've shown this piece to a few people in person and have been told the photos don't do it justice. i'm very, very happy with it. i'm working on more. the paua is just so beautiful to me. i love the contrast between it and the wood. it really makes me happy to see it married so closely together. i hope i can get really good at making these as i enjoy them so much.

here's another sneek at something i'm working on . . .

lots of tiny sanding to do on it, but you can still see some beauty in the zebra wood. good thing i gots the sanding elves.

har har har . . . .

oooh, my hands hurt.

Beautiful lure PD. That paua would really attract the fish!

Awesome again. Congrats!

Looking forward to the zebra wood . . .

KS

Pages: 1 2 77 replies