Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Gim-ee a bucket of Shand-ee! (Warning naked pix of my Kuuipo_Wahine!)

Pages: 1 9 replies

R

With the summer now deeply thick and humid here in Key West and even nights only dipping down to 80F (and the 'hot tub' being reduced to just a bubble machine) we have taken to mixing up a drink that is sort of a cross between a Shandy and a Gimlet to cool us down.

This is how it goes for 2-4 shared servings:
take one ice bucket and half fill it with ice
SLOWLY pour in two beers
(something creamy like Negro Modelo or a wheat beer is best)
add an equal part of quality Ginger Ale/beer
2 shots of gin
2 Key Limes (or 1 Persian Lime will do), squeeze in the juice and throw in the halves
1/2 shot of Grenadine
dash or two of orange bitters
chuck in a bunch of Marischino cherries with some of the juice
(personally I use the old brandied cherries I have left over from making cherry brandy)
And a floater of cherry brandy on top :D

Sorry that the bucket is so big guys. but this IS about the drink! :wink: :P :lol:

This is really interesting.

I like Shandy alot, and Gimlets are pretty good. But together? I'll have to take your word for it.

R

On 2007-06-25 05:40, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
This is really interesting.

I like Shandy alot, and Gimlets are pretty good. But together? I'll have to take your word for it.

Yee of so little faith! :roll:

Let's see
Beer and Ginger Ale = Shandy
Beer and Lime = CaliMex Corona
Gin and Lime = Gimlet
Beer and Gin = a staple of Both the Dutch and British Navies
Beer and Cherry Brandy = Many a Belgian Beer
Bitters, Gin and Ginger Ale = Three main ingredients of the original Suffering Bastard.....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20723&forum=10&15

So no great stretch to mix Beer, Bitters, Gin, Ginger Ale, Lime and Cherry Brandy! :P

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2007-06-27 19:57 ]

Beer and gin may have been naval staples, but were they drunk together?

Don't get me wrong, I love both beer and gin. Perhaps I should try it...

T

As a General Rule, Shandy is a combination of Beer and Lemonade or Lemon/Lime soda, not Ginger Ale

I'll have to take your word for this concoction. Mixing beer with Cherries, Gin and Grenadine?

Dunno about that one...

:)

Rattiki - you are my new hero!
Key West, the cocktail, the hot tub, the beautiful wahine! Have you got a guest room?

TZ

On 2007-09-14 10:39, TikiSOX wrote:
As a General Rule, Shandy is a combination of Beer and Lemonade or Lemon/Lime soda, not Ginger Ale

I'll have to take your word for this concoction. Mixing beer with Cherries, Gin and Grenadine?

Dunno about that one...

Actually, Shandy is a broad term for a beer mixture. In Germany, beer and lemonade or lemon soda is called a Radler. But in the tropics, it is usually mixed with ginger ale.

R

On 2007-09-14 10:39, TikiSOX wrote:

Dunno about that one...

I Europe yes, but here in (and on the edge of) the Caribbean it is generally made with ginger ale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8423.html

and YES I DO think the British Sailors of old drank their beer and gin rations together :roll: :lol:

I had to look this up here again as I had not written it down in my concocted cocktail scribble book and it's time for bubbles again here in Cayo Huesto. :D Maybe I'll try it with fizzy lemonade (Sprite, 7-up) this summer too. Regardless it is a very refreshing drink, bright, clean & fun tasting and not a strange combination at all! Don't forget the bitters if ya got 'em! :P

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2008-06-03 00:40 ]

Now that this thread is bumped, I have to say that I did eventually try this (in the winter no less) and it's great. Do yourself a favor and make one.

BS

I for one think it's a fine idea. There's a caribbean restaurant near us called "Tropix" that serves a really nice beer based drink that they call "Bul". BTW, a great restaurant if you live in the East Bay, very good food and a great patio on warm evenings.

"Bul"
3 cups beer (pilsner)
3 cups ginger ale
1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
4 limes, juiced
2 cup crushed ice

About the only beer concoction that really bothers me is the Irish Car Bomb. Yuck, tastes like barf and a waste of perfectly good Guinness and Irish whiskey, both of which should be sipped separately and not chugged.

Pages: 1 9 replies