Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

How much space BEHIND the bar?

Pages: 1 24 replies

I'm finally putting the bar down in the basement, but I am having some trouble with the placement. How much space do I need BEHIND the bar? The back wall will not have any shelves, etc.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed many times before. I'm new here.

Thanks!

You may want to rethink the back wall not having shelves on the wall behind the bar. That's usually where people put their "Top Shelf" spirits. It doesn't have to be very wide, just wide enough for fatter bottles, like Pusser's and such.

S

That's a vague question really. Too many factors to consider. You have to have room to work and only you know what that will entail. You gotta have room for a garbage can, a place to mix, a floor you can spill on and clean up, room to bend over and get things under the bar or in cabinets, etc. That's probably your best answer. Room enough for you to bend over and get things out comfortably without hitting anything behind you.

There are online resources for planning a bar area, but they are for professional bars and not many of us need all they are required to have.

Think about what you will be doing and managing everything back there including the clean up afterwards.

legally a bar must have at least three feet of clearance behind it for employees to pass through..this applies to all public bars. as for home bars, depends on how much space you need to comfortably operate.....

this suggestion may sound a bit daft at first, but i know that i have run across plans for building home bars in old 'popular science' and such type publications. you might be able to run something like that down in your public library... perhaps maybe.

On 2007-06-25 10:45, Haole'akamai wrote:
You may want to rethink the back wall not having shelves on the wall behind the bar. That's usually where people put their "Top Shelf" spirits. It doesn't have to be very wide, just wide enough for fatter bottles, like Pusser's and such.

The reason there are no shelves protruding from the rear wall is that there are built-in shelves already on the side wall. I really need a picture of the space.

[ Edited by: chase_317 2007-06-25 11:18 ]

[ Edited by: chase_317 2007-06-25 11:20 ]

Righty-o, then I'm jumping on the Swanky bandwagon an seconding everything he said.

You need to look at all of the stuff you have and want behind the bar.
Now think about where you want to put all that stuff.
Then make shelves for TWICE that amount of stuff, you will need it.
They only need to be 4 inches wide. Maybe 8 inches for two bottles deep.
You can never have enough shelves in a bar.

Also think of the entrance/egress paths from the main room to behind the bar. You, and possibly drunken guests, will be making this trip often, often with bottles/glassware in your hands. You want enough room so you don't feel squeezed, or your hips and elbows don't bump or sweep any glassware to the floor.

Another consideration is the available vertical space/path between your head and the ceiling/decorative elements - the corridor your head travels in must remain open. Nothing looks sillier, than a bartender repeatedly bumping his head into a pufferfish light.

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2007-06-25 12:06 ]

S

All that said, I think I had about 3-4 feet behind my last bar. The width of a door and frame. That was fine.

On 2007-06-25 10:54, Swanky wrote:...Room enough for you to bend over and get things out comfortably without hitting anything behind you...

Enough room to bend over and get something off of the bottom shelf/floor and then add about 6 - 8 inches. I have moved my bar forward almost 16 inches since I placed it it the lounge. That works for me because mine is not built in. Yours is a build in so get it right the first time. It is better to have a bit too much space than too little.

I agree with Chip and Andy. Better to have extra space than not enough. Especially since it's a build in. Also, I've had some difficulty finding enough space to keep all my bottles. I got a liquor cabinet, and some shelves under my bar, and I still haven't got enough. Adding more shelves than you think you'll need is a good idea. Your liquor collection might grow pretty fast!

The short answer is enough space to be able to bend down and grab stuff comfortably.

Here's the info I use when designing a floor plan for a client.

The absolute minimum space allowance behind a bar should be 30", 36" (3 feet) being the commercial minimum. If a mini fridge or under cabinet doors will be installed, be sure to allow for the door swing. If a wall bar (back bar) will be installed, add a minimum of 6" to your dimension (36" total residential, 42" commercial) to allow for easy access and minimal breakage (via elbow swing).

I personally see no problem with not having a back bar, but if you're planning on doing lots of mixing at parties, a simple 6-8" shelf where you can put a single row of bottles ready for grabbing will really help keep things flowing!

Martiki-bird (Gina)

M

40 inches! (that way, if a larger component like meself, would like to tend the bar, they won't feel so closed in)

Nuff said.

Welcome to TC

Mahalo

McTiki

T

How big is your waist? Then add 10 inches !!!!

On 2007-06-25 16:52, TikiLaLe wrote:
How big is your waist? Then add 10 inches !!!!

UGGGHHHHH!

Please don't make me and all my cheeseburgers go there............

Anyone have an abacus handy?

I don't know about that. How big is your waist and then add 10 inches? I'd have to ask how old are you? If you're a youngster you might want to consider that you might add 10 inches all by yourself as you get older and consume them cheeseburgers. You wouldn't want to grow out of your bar now would you? It's not like you can loosen your belt a notch.

I

If you expect any cocktail seductions to lead to late night carnal activity behind your tiki bar, add another two feet of clearance space. Add more if you are kinkier than most.

And make sure you have enough crushed ice, to cool things down afterwards.

Leave room to grow. You may decide that your bar needs it's mug or exotic booze collection displayed on those shelves your not building....Yet. The bar is just the bones, It will flesh itself out over time and use and evolve into something you would have never envisioned at the onset. Bars tend to collect things all on their own.

or maybe just measure out 3 cubits

T

On 2007-06-25 20:17, ikitnrev wrote:
If you expect any cocktail seductions to lead to late night carnal activity behind your tiki bar, add another two feet of clearance space. Add more if you are kinkier than most.

And make sure you have enough crushed ice, to cool things down afterwards.

This has to be one of my favorite posts in the past month or so! :wink:

Seriously, though...
Try putting up some plywood on sawhorses and see how much room you would need, you could easily move them in and out... maybe that would help, no?

*Please judge me by my mugs...
they are an extension of my soul, a mirror of my DNA,
my worth as an individual *

[ Edited by: tikimug 2007-06-27 18:38 ]

... late night carnal activity behind your tiki bar, add another two feet of clearance space. ... you could easily move them in and out... maybe that would help, no?

Does anyone else see where this conversation is heading?

Oh, and consider this my contribution to getting it there faster.....

M

This thread makes me happy in my pants.

Bars are the greatest fun! No?

Mahalla

McTiki

M

My folks made sure there was a good four feet of clearance behind their home bar's back ledge and the wall. And that was a moveable bar, so I'd swear it kept inching out further over the years.

Maybe allow about five feet or so, in case you change your mind about the shelves?

I watch a lot of the home improvement shows. I saw an episode of "This Old House" where the owner wasn't sure how the kitchen cabinets were going to be arranged. They took big cardboard boxes and made mock ups of the cabinets and the owner was surprised after seeing them in 3D and in the space and went a different direction. Might be a good idea for deciding where to place the bar and how much room to leave behind the bar. Just one word of caution. If you do make a cardboard mock up to test locations, size, placement, etc. just don't test out any carnal maneuvers on the cardboard. I'm sure the cardboard bar won't be able to stand up to the task.

Pages: 1 24 replies