A
Al-ii posted on Mon, Jun 25, 2007 4:27 PM

6/10 4:30 PM St Louis Missouri, The Arch

Cards VS angels

Hala Kahiki

6/12 2:00 AM River Grove Illinois. Super Bird, Hash Brown Casserole

CICADA!!!They come out every 18 years

6/16 11:23 PM Kansas City Missouri. The Nelson-Atkins Museum

6/16 12:36 AM Kansas City Missouri. City Tavern, Shay Estes performs.

6/14 12:12 PM Holbrook AZ
I'd like to thank Bamboo Lodge and his wife Colby for coming out to see me. I'll post more pics later
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Al-ii 2007-06-27 14:05 ]

CL

arrggg, I'm envious. :wink: Welcome back Al-ii. Looks like a wonderful trip. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. What's the story on the headless statues? Can't wait to hear the story.

D

so that's where you've been! did you find wonderful diners and dives across the USA? love the pictures ~ i can never get enough giant teepees, muffler men and dinosaurs! perchance, did you get to see the worlds largest prarrie dog in kansas? i could not convince todd to stop there years ago, and i still wonder what i missed.

In 1966 and again in 67 or 68 (I forget which), I drove the full length of Rt. 66 from Chicago to LA. My mom was afraid to fly. She drove everywhere. When I got my license in 1966, she asked me if I would like to go with her to visit friends and relatives in Chicago, Texas, and California. She'd drive all day, I'd drive all night and we'd stop at a nice "motor inns (with heated pool)" along the way. This was not a hard sell for a new licensee. Both trips were a blast.

Both times we'd leave CT and take the MA Turnpike to the NY State Thruway to the PA Turnpike, etc. to Chicago. Later we'd return to Chicago and come home that same way. But from Chicago we'd go west on the southern route via Rt. 66 and on the return we'd take a northern route, first to Vegas and then back to Chicago various ways so that we'd go through as many states as possible. By the time I was 18 I had visited all the states except Washington and Alaska (obviously, didn't drive to Hawaii—or did I).

Your pics bring back great memories. Thanks.

WOOOHOOO! Watch Out Huell Howser here comes your New Competition: AL-II :)

Al - I'm so envious. I've always wanted to do the route 66 road trip. Love the dinosaurs and teepee's. Can't wait to hear the details...

F
Fugu posted on Sat, Jun 30, 2007 8:33 PM

Did you actually get to stay in one of the teepees? I'm taking a trip out that way in a few weeks and was thinking about trying to stay there for a night. I was wondering if the wigwam village is a fun place to stay or if its a bit sketchy.

A
Al-ii posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2007 10:39 AM

Fugu, my Lonely planet guide says the "Wigwam Hotel" in Holbrook AZ, is "really clean" and safe. The guide says the San Bernardino location is a little rough and "not recommended for families". I did not stay in the hotel, it was like noon when I passed through Holbrook. DB my favorite Diner was the Cherokee in Cherokee OK. I had the Irish stew. I did not see the largest Prairie Dog, but, I would have stopped. Gnomon I'm glad you like the post. TL and CL, I'll tell the stories when I see you.I will crush Huell.
Mahalo,
Al

A

"Dino" the apatosaurus (brontosaurus) in 1930 sinclair started using this logo, it remains one of the most recognizable corporate logos in the world.

Maynard from cars, Kansas

The Trade Winds? Is it...?

the blue whale, Oklahoma

Yeah! I like my pleasure big what of it!!!

Route 66 museum

Where the Fiat and Issetta sold tires in "Cars"

Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo Texas

Route 66 was supposed to be my vacation this year, but is now on hold. I've had the dream of driving it before I turn 45. I still have 2 years to go.. LOL

Although it's not the glory of the Mother Road from days gone by, it's still there. Thanks to the movie "Cars", I think it may have a bit of resurrection in the coming years. It would be great if it finds it's way onto the GPS systems. That would make an easy drive for most folks, but I doubt it would ever happen since portions of the road are no longer accessible. I'm using old maps, and a redrawn specialty RT.66 map series to help find the way.

Great pics, and stories. Thanks for sharing...

Cheers!

Rick

S

I also drove Route 66 this summer, but only the California to Texas portion, then I turned south to Dallas. I had an unbelieveable time! There was so much to see and I really want to go back to Arizona and New Mexico and explore there more. I loved the desert!

I have heaps of photos on Flickr. Check them out if you are interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedivapinup/sets/72157602508499314/

A few teasers:

--Suzanne

On 2007-10-26 11:04, Bogielocks wrote:
... It would be great if it finds it's way onto the GPS systems.

It just depends on your GPS system. Google Earth has a Route 66 overlay.

great stuff!! i traveled the route from chicago to santa monica in may of 1994...the route was just starting to make a come back...state sponsored route 66 associations were starting to spring up in an effort to save the road..your pics bring back memories...good to see that alot of the places i remember are still standing....i was fortunate to meet lillian redman, the original owner of the blue swallow motel when i stayed there..she die a couple years later. looks like the new owners are keeping things goin...

On 2007-10-30 10:49, suzanne wrote:

I work for the company who restored the neon with the Blue Swallow. The sign should be 100% repaired since that photo was taken. I noticed in your flickr you have the Cactus RV park... we did that one too.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-10-31 07:01 ]

On 2007-10-31 06:59, Unkle John wrote:

On 2007-10-30 10:49, suzanne wrote:

I work for the company who restored the neon with the Blue Swallow. The sign should be 100% repaired since that photo was taken. I noticed in your flickr you have the Cactus RV park... we did that one too. In fact I see a lot of places in New Mexico that we've serviced and repaired. Great job taking these photos!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

Pages: 1 14 replies