Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Sam 's Seafood, Sunset Beach, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 6 replies

Name:Sam 's Seafood
Type:restaurant
Street:16278 South Pacific Coast Hwy
City:Sunset Beach
State:CA
Zip:92649
Phone:(562) 592-1321

Description:
A 40,0000 sq. foot tiki bar and restaurant that has been around since the 1920's and as a tiki restaurant since the 1960's.This jewel from the past has been saved from being bull dozed and lost forever.It was closed down in July 2006 and was slated to become condos.Due to permit and zoning complications the developer/owner of the land and building has made some very special arrangements and concessions with a successful local restaurant owner to revamp- and re-open Sams Seafood again.Guess what folks I went to a special invitation last week to make a test run of the place, and it was fantastic!The interior although not completed looks about 85% original including original hawaiian scenic wall paintings.The polynesian room under construction but 95% all intact and original.This is trully one of oldest and largest tiki bar/restaurants still erect and in existance in all of Southern California.Look for great events to happen at Sams in the future-for sure.Two Thumbs up!!!I will post more info and photos.Currently open to the public , but look for the Grand opening in about three weeks or so.
Aloha !!
Bill LaPalia
Island Home Living.com
949-836-1806

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2011-09-27 20:37 ]

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2012-02-27 10:05 ]

Oh what great news! I haven't been back home for years! I hope it's still there when I go back! I had many a romantic
dates with my Buddy there! Thanks for posting!
Aloha,
Mangogirl

That is awesome! We need more old style tiki temples saved. I love those mural paintings! Thanks for posting this. :)

OK you two, Sam's closed down some years ago, but we got lucky & this is where Don the Beachcomber is today
so still a cool place, But not Sam's.

And that is what I get for posting when I first get out of bed. (yes I know its past noon don't ask). My apologies. I do have to ask though if those wonderful murals were saved?

Yes some are still being used in Don's, As alot of the original Tikis.
Much of the credit has to go to Bamboo Ben for making the new decor look like original.

Pages: 1 6 replies