Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wall Street Journal, Baseball, Nixon .... and Mai Tais

Pages: 1 2 replies

I

The Wall Street Journal recently posted an interesting article on mai-tais - I certainly learned some new things.

It starts by discussing former baseball pitcher Jim Bouton (author of the great book, Ball Four) being assigned to a Hawaii farm team, and discovering mai-tais while there.

Then it moves to Vic Bergeron, and the history of the mai-tai --- and the many pale imitations which exist today.

The article ends talking about Nixon, Kissinger, and others, on the Washington Trader Vics. I learned that Patricia Nixon's (wife of the president) would drink Jack Daniels on her visit to the DC TV, which lowered by impression of the First Lady some.

The article does get one thing wrong - Nixon's favorite drink was the Navy Grog.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118316316127753707.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Vern

G

Interesting article Vern. But if Nixon thought Mai-Tais were "lethal", thank god he wasn't drinking Vic's Zombies or Tiki Puka Pukas. Although I have heard that Nixon was drunk quite a lot of the time.

A

And how can you say Nixon lacked "beach bum credentials"? He lived in San Clemente!

Pages: 1 2 replies