Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help! Rare Trader Vics Piece? Any ideas?

Pages: 1 5 replies

So I picked this little guy today... Never seen one like it before.
It measures about 3.5 inches high, red clay with white glazed rim and inside and the raised faces on the outside are glazed.
As you can see the bottom has "Trader Vic" stamped into it.
Does anyone have any info on this one?

Mahalo,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2007-07-05 22:10 ]

D

Wow, interesting mug! You know, it seems that at one time in history Trader Vics actually had quite a number of mugs to serve various drinks in. I've never seen this one though!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:40 ]

Thanks for the tip filslash. The mug in Tiki Quest looks pretty much the same except for the glaze and that Duke says its "signed by the artesian who made it", which sounds like a hobby mug to me... Perhaps a copy of the Trader Vic one here?
I can't beleive no one else has any input on this piece...
Aloha,

Super nice piece there Shep! I dont know anything about the history of that design, but i have one in green that is unmarked. It has kind of a frankoma-ish glaze to it & I have seen others in white & black that i can remember. there are probably even more color variations out there. Yours has that frosty lava type glaze that was popular in the 60's/70's, but hell it might even be an earlier piece. Never seen or heard of one marked trader vics tho, that is tas-ty!
flea or thrift?

On 2007-07-06 11:34, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
Super nice piece there Shep! I dont know anything about the history of that design, but i have one in green that is unmarked. It has kind of a frankoma-ish glaze to it & I have seen others in white & black that i can remember. there are probably even more color variations out there. Yours has that frosty lava type glaze that was popular in the 60's/70's, but hell it might even be an earlier piece. Never seen or heard of one marked trader vics tho, that is tas-ty!
flea or thrift?

Tanks BBTD... Score at the flea.
Yeah, the Vics marking is what makes this a curious piece. It's the older, script style but it is incised or stamped into the clay not printed.
Aloha,

Pages: 1 5 replies