Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Forbidden Island Summer Of Mug Phase Four: The Limited Edition FI/Munktiki Fugu For Two! 7/15/07

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

M

Aloha!

It’s that time again already! And get ready for something special: By popular demand, I’m very pleased to announce the release of a limited edition run of Customized Forbidden Island Fugus!

Working with Munktiki is always a pleasure. The birth of the Fugu for Two began in the winter of 2006, when I went to their studio to discuss some ideas for mugs. Paul & Miles were extremely gracious and wanted to know how they could help. Paul suggested his famous Fugu Sipper design, which I loved, but was impractical for commercial use because of the small opening and straw holes (too hard to clean). I suggested that if we cut open the top, we’d be on to something. Soon after, a prototype came my way with a nice opening which not only made them work, but also really helped show off the interior glaze. I created a drink for it, the Fugu For Two, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I’ll say that few things about Forbidden Island have had as warm and great a reception as the FI Fugu mug. It’s one of the most asked about items in the bar, and, as you all know, highly coveted. So much so that we take a deposit on them when we serve the drink! That hasn’t stopped a few from swimming off (grrrrr), but that’s life in the booze trade.

BUT— Now’s your chance to have your own! I went back to Paul and told him I needed some for the fans. They asked what color I wanted, so I told Paul to be creative, have fun, and do whatever he wanted. I love what he did, and I hope you will, too.

Check it out!

ON SALE Sunday, July 15th, 2007 at 3:00PM

*Less than 50 available in a one-time only limited edition run (non-numbered)
*Unique-to-FI glaze (yellow with orange spots/high gloss black interior) and cast in the “FI Flattop” style.
*Custom FI/Munktiki logo on the bottom of the mug.
*$60 each
*Mug will come with a copy of the “secret” Fugu 4 2 recipe!

*Usual FI sidewalk rules apply. Cash sales only. This item will ONLY be available at Forbidden Island- no internet/mail/phone orders. First come/first served.

Mahalo everyone!!!

J

:D WooooooHoooooooo!!!! :D Some of you know how happy I have to be to utter THOSE two syllables!!! The only thing that would make it better would be if it were purple! :wink: But these are way cool colors too! I will SO be there early for this one!

Thanks FI for this super fun Summer of Mug!!! And Thanks to Munktiki for making some of my very favorite mugs!!! You guys rock!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

BB

What the *@#$&!?

I am jealous and mad at everyone who gets one! :lol:

Bah!

Did I mention I was Jealous?

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-07-05 22:16 ]

Damn! I'm missing out on all the FI bad ass mugs! :(

K

oh boy
oh boy oh boy
oh boy oh boy oh boy
oh boy oh boy oh boy and oh boy.

Damn, I am going to be dead tired. It will be a 4 hour drive back from Lake Shasta and most likely with an ass kickin' hangover. I just hope I make it in time. See you all there... again.

Word.

MT

Mug Weirdos Unite!!!

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, Jul 6, 2007 7:12 PM

I be bringing me fish nets wit

me and hope I cans catch me A

Fugu!!! SEE YA THERE!!!!

It looks like a giant gumball with that finish.

See ya bitches (next) tamale!

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-07 10:16 ]

P

Looks like it will be another fun wait inline !!
see ya there..

M

That's a mighty fine looking mug.

B
Buster posted on Mon, Jul 9, 2007 5:30 PM

I think I'll have to get the dog show chairs back out from under the house. Who is buys the coffee and bagels this time ?

On 2007-07-09 17:30, Buster wrote:
I think I'll have to get the dog show chairs back out from under the house. Who is buys the coffee and bagels this time ?

Careful you don't muss those rhinestones...

N

Woooooot!! I will be there. BRIGHT, well, maybe not BRIGHT, but EARLY.... I think I will bring my UBER RARE Purple Fugu with the Deadly Red spots to drink my coffee from and tease ya'll.....

Nytshaed
Alcoholics to go meetings,
I am a Beverage Connoisseur...

[ Edited by: Nytshaed 2007-07-09 19:06 ]

J

Aloha Martin,
Could you please post the "Usual FI Sidewalk Rules" here for the folks who weren't in the loop for the first couple of mug events?
Mahalo!

MT

Here's a pic of the rules that Martin posted for the Forbidden Island One Year Anniversary Party. Martin, if any rules have changed, let me know and I'll take this pic down.

J

Mai Tai, I think it's 3:00pm this time. Other than that, those are the rules as I understand them, but I guess we should wait for the official word from Martiki.

M

Hmm, let's see. Simple scribbles on back of envelope:

Going to need what, about 40 day laborers? At what, $10/hour? That equals $400 per Fugu hour. Ok, maybe 3 hours? That makes it $1200 plus actual cost of Fugu. The capital outlay plus labor for the mugs gives me a Fugu cost basis of $90 per ($60 mug + $30 labor). Estimated selling price per Fugu, trying to be conservative here, maybe $145? Gross profi per mug, $55. Not bad, but I have to lower the fixed expenses to make it attractive from a purely fiscal standpoint.

Would I have time to bring in a few dozen workers from Sri Lanka? Maybe, but factor in transportation and lodging/meal...ok, meals. My per hour labor expenses would decrease greatly, but associated costs, not to mention immigration issues, make this option cost prohibitive. Sure, do a good deed for some Sri Lankans and it screws the margins. Oh, could I volunteer to take a class full of 3rd graders on a field trip to Alameda Sunday morning? Passive chaperoned, that sort of thing. Come on, I will still want to drink, a bit. Probably no good, that.

At risk high schoolers? Sort of a vocational seminar, careers in the liquor industry? That just might work. It would almost certainly open up the profit potential per Fugu. Not sure where I get the high schoolers, though. My GED class reunion was a few years ago, pretty much lost touch with everybody. Wish I still taught traffic school.

Wait! Is there a senior citizen assisted-living home anywhere near FI? Near as in close enough to push forty or so wheelchairs? Thank God Alameda is flat.

Mr. Bad Example,
midnite

MT

Maybe with all that money you will get from cornering the Fugu mug market, you could buy a car. Or pay for bocce lessons.

M

On 2007-07-09 13:45, princessP wrote:

Looks like it will be another fun wait inline...

...for one of my slave boys! Bwaahhhaa!

-Patty

M

On 2007-07-10 01:57, Mai Tai wrote:
Maybe with all that money you will get from cornering the Fugu mug market, you could buy a car. Or pay for bocce lessons.

What's the emoticon for "Oh, SNAP!"?

M

Ahem, to business:

Those rules are about the same. It is, as Jen mentioned, 3pm. I will hand out something to those in line to reserve a mug, but they aren't numbered. After everyone in line is taken care of, I'll open it up to multiple sales.

B
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.