Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I'm sorry, this is just insane...

Pages: 1 10 replies

M

Insane? I don't think so, not at all. A nice TV's menu for $17.39 is actually a pretty good price. I have regularly seen them go for much more on Ebay and many dealers charge well over that price as well.

Why, I'd gladly pay $17.39 for that menu. It looks like a pretty uncommon menu, and $17.39 is a right good deal I say.

By the way, what's all this fuss about violins on television? I like violins, violins on television is a good thing.

midnite

C

Geez, and I thought I had a problem...
Nothing like EBay to make me feel better about my spending habits.

Shocking!

And I have a problem with violins on television.... Stop the violins! Visualize whirled peas!

:tiki:

You know, we've said this before and I can't help but to say that if it is worth the price to you -and to your personal collection- then it's worth the money.

This seller got a killer price, there is no doubt! But I have paid some high prices on a couple of Kahiki items now and then because that is a big thing for me. I think we all have gone a little overboard on an item at one time or another.

So, say that this Danwhatever guy has a chubby for Trader Vics stuff - perhaps that is what first got his tiki fethish started - and this menu is one of the only pieces that he does not have. Would it then be worth any price you could pay to obtain it?

Sure it would!

And, for those of us without any other habits or hobbys, we can often justify spending a little more in order to obtain an item...when we're employed. (Hey, I don't spend my money on smokes or women, why can't I get this item?)

Lets just hope, for our sakes, that this buyer, like many other high rollers, will finally hit his limit or complete his collection and thus leave some reasonably priced items for the rest of us.

In the meantime, I will scour the thrift stores, garage sales and flea markets in search of a true gem! (More within my budget)

Happy Hunting!
:sheckymug:

Stingray's right, if someone wants an item that they don't have, why not spend what you can to get it?

Stingray, speaking of Kahiki, my wife got me a tiki tile from the restroom at the Kahiki for Christmas. I dig it!

On 2003-01-28 06:50, the75stingray wrote:

Lets just hope, for our sakes, that this buyer, like many other high rollers, will finally hit his limit or complete his collection and thus leave some reasonably priced items for the rest of us.

I guess that's more what I'm talking about...but hey, I busted a grand on a single tiki this year, so....
Happy Hunting!
:sheckymug:

I feel more sorry for the masses of people that go mall shopping, and spend tons of cash on clothes or housewares or anything else that won't hold any value, much less a truly rare item. I junk it at the thrift stores for everything I can....save the big bucks for Ebay! You help a small business person and you get something that is truly rare, not just something the goodwill will be pricing in a couple years!

A

Speaking of insane, check this out. I'm not a postcard collector, but this price seems outta this world. Does a lot of ebay stuff have an extra zero (or two) on the end lately or what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3311017131

Quoted from the listing....

-Randy

GEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ!
$350? I'd rather just copy the picture (even with "Todd Hackett" on the picture) and print it out on nice photo paper and add it to the collection, rather than paying $350!

I was browsing that sellers other listings... there are several Disneyland Pirates of the Carribean postcards available, supposedly signed by artist Marc Davis. I would question their authenticity. I have items that I had signed personally by Marc Davis, they don't quite jive with the ebay signatures. Buyer beware!
:tiki:

Pages: 1 10 replies