Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW update from the carving dungeon! pg 4

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

I thought it would be time that I would start my own carving thread. I will post pictures of other projects as soon as I remember to take pictures of them.

Here´s me getting some free wood. Unfortunately my big ol pick up truck was at the shop so i had to manage the situation like this. No, just kiddin, i don´t even have a license. This is my daily ride.
About the wood, I don´t know the name of it. But It´s fast growing according to my father who works a lot with trees so it should be soft to carve.

I am working on a larger Marquees log but i took a break with a fast moai.
I´m calling it "The surprised Moai". But it looks a bit like a blow up doll.
Here it is at the shop.

I made it partly because of the burning techique i wanted to try for my bigger project. The plan was to burn it heavy and then brush it with a steel brush to get out some structure and grain

After brushing it, my friend holding it up. Later i stained it too dark, the plan is to mount it on a leopard plaque (witco-like) and ad a burned bamboo frame.
Can´t say that I´m satisfied with the result, but it came out ok with the tools that i had.

I´ll add images of another project on Thursday.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-12 09:25 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-20 14:48 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-08-20 11:21 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-10-17 13:45 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-11-09 11:49 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-11-15 07:31 ]

Hej da! Welcome Tikidreams.

Not a bad looking Witco, it will be good to see it all finished off. (maybe you could attach it to the front of your ride..?) :wink:

Cool tats-too!

Tama :)

T

Looks like you got some of pavement on your arms ..Hope it washes off !!!

Heckofa Job on Moai !!!

On 2007-07-08 14:44, Tamapoutini wrote:
Hej da! Welcome Tikidreams.

Not a bad looking Witco, it will be good to see it all finished off. (maybe you could attach it to the front of your ride..?) :wink:

Cool tats-too!

Tama :)

Hej då!?
I´ll post it finished when i fell to the motivation to complete it.
My ride broke down on me. But I´m working on a tiki themed beach cruiser.

B

Welcome to TC, Tikidreams, Glad to have you. Good work for your first tiki, Love your Log Hauler, Bet it gets great gas mileage. Where are the log pictures? We need to see what you're doing with it?? Stay around awhile?

The Piece looks good, the proportions are good, and it's got a bit of personal style to it. The more of them you do, the more you see them in your sleep.

Thanks for posting

Benzart>> Thank you! I promise to post log pictures, and I´ll stay longer. I have a lot of motivation for tiki projects right now. Yeah, great gas mileage but a bit short on trunk space. I actually couldnt ride it with the waggon on, it was to heavy. But it spared me the walking to the logs.

Gigantalope>> Thank you. It´s been a bit thin with the tikidreams lately unfortunatly. I guess i just have to make more ot them.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-10 22:41 ]

B

Very nice moai.

Benjamin.

Merci Benjamin!

Here are some fresh pictures of my FIRST tiki. A work in progress. I´ve been working forever with it it seems. Learning by mistakes. The wood is pine. Bug infested, spongy-rotten cracking pine. That was my first mistake. But i think the cracks will look OK once i stain and torch it.

This is my new best friend. 15 dollar angle grinder with a rasp disc.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-12 09:34 ]

M

OMG! That's freakin sweet for a first log dude!

Don't worry about cracks or bugs. They all blend in with the staining and become the character of your work!

Beautiful!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Very good start, I love the marquesan style.

Benjamin.

Thanks a lot Benella and Mctiki!
Tiki is very small in Sweden, so feedback from the TC community means a lot for me. Any comments are welcome.

Just found this pic from last year when i got the wood for the Tiki log

Looking cool man! I like the punk band Kamikatze from Sweden. Ikea is pretty cool too! I like their hot dogs!

Craig

B

I know what you mean when you say that tiki is small in Sweden because Tiki is very small in France too !
P.S: Love your tatoo.

Ben

B

Very good stuff for just a beginner, Very Nice. That is one Serious looking work bench you have there too. From the looks of it, its been around for quite awhile and with that high quality bench I imagine it has seen some pretty serious creations in its life time. You should sit down and have a Long talk with it as it could probably impart some Great knowledge to your hungry ears.

benella>> Is there any tiki bars or other places in Paris? I mean it´s s huge.
You can´t see my tattoos that well, It´s my friend with the stripes on his arms.

Tikifreak1>> I haven´t had their hot dogs since i was a kid, I go for the veggie pizza slices when I go to ikea.

Benzart>> Many thanks. The work bench is really quite interesting. It was in my fathers garage when they bought the house. It´s a traditional Swedish carpenters bench. It has had the same design since the 1700 i think. Any swede will recognize them from wood work class at elementary school. My bench is hand made probably by the same carpenter or wood worker that used it. It has to be atleast 50 years old, but due to the fact that the modell has been the same for so long it´s hard to tell.

H

Tikidreams, I love that first picture of you on the bike, it is a classic. Your work is great for a first timer. Keep on creating and posting. The little power tool looks great, maybe I will buy one for myself.

i like the latest carve man. i'm wantin to do one simillar for my bar. keep up tha good works.
oh, dig the ride to! easier on gas!

B

Hi Tikidreams,

Unfortunately there is no tiki bar in Paris. I've send a mail to trader vics to know why, they answered there is no particular reason for it ! So I'm waiting :lol:

Benjamin.

Thanks for all the friendly comments. Maybe an update tonight with some chainsaw rough cuts if the weather is allright.

A little project by myself and a friend. We decided to practice or chainsaw skills doing a moai. We shared the work in backbreaking postures. This is a work in progress.

Me working on the small log with a 20-30 year old skil chainsaw. Heavy as hell and with no safety features whatsoever, but not bad att all. Note the hunchback.

Working with my new husqvarna 321 electric. This was my first try with this new saw. It spat a lot of oil on the Moai, but that´s just the nature of it I´ve learnt.

End result of this session. Not bad for a first timer and a 2nd timer. Atleast we think. :wink:
All and all, it was a good learning experiance.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-20 14:53 ]

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-23 00:43 ]

B

I would say this is a nice moai.

Ben.

An update of some of the things I´ve been doing this summer. Any comments more then welcome.

Burned the Moai

Me and my friends workspace.

Doing some chisel work.

Work in progress, got a bit twisted. It was hard working with a log this heavy.

Mouth.

Head piece and eyes.

My friends tiki burned.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-08-20 11:23 ]

M

Nice! Gettin bigger and bigger. I still struggle with alignment, but, this might be because of the rums.

Very nice

Thanks for sharing

Mahalo

B

Very nice work.
Did you only used chainsaw and chisels or did you sand a bit ?
Will you leave it natural or will you add some wax ?

Benjamin.

Mctiki>>Thanks!

Benella>> On the Moai we only used a chainsaw and an angle grinder with a rasp disc. On the larger one i used chainsaw, straight flat chisels and angle grinder with rasp disc. Still some more stuff to deal with on it.
I will probably burn it and brush it with a steel brush, do some darker contrasting burns and then oil it.

Thanks for the comments.

H

Very nice work.

B

Hey Dreamer, Excellent first/second Tikis, Very nice with excellent deep detail. I see you have plenty of wood so Keep on Carvin'

Nice work! Keep it alive in Sweden and hopefully it will start spreading.

You mentioned how backbreaking the chainsaw work is and I noticed your posture in the picture is a bit bent over. I find my back gets pretty tweeked as well, Any seasoned carvers out there have advice on the best way to position wood and ones carving stance to avoid getting bent? I would like to create a carving platform for the different angles I know I will be needing repeatedly has anyone rigged anything similar.

It sux getting old.

hiltiki >> Thank you!

Benzart >> Many thanks. Yes, we have good supply of wood. We will take down a pine tomorrow and season the wood. The logs we´re working with now is not optimal. They have been laying around for to long is soaked with water and bug eaten. But it´s a learning experience (even though i already have a few orders for friends to do :wink:).

Bohemian>> Yeah your right. It´s a real hunchback way I´m working in the picture. But we upgraded our workbenches last time we we´re out to our country side spot. :wink:

Tomorrow I will try and finish up the large tiki and another tiki I´ve made. Í will probably burn, brush with a steel brush, contrast burn and oil them.

TIKIDREAMS-
I'm lovin' your fine chainsaw work! Post more photo's please.
Ray

Some updates.

The little guy isn´t finished in this picture.
This was several months ago know.
Hope you like it and let me know what you think.

T

Great tikis - I luv the little guy. It's very distinctive and original looking (to me). And I envy your work environment!

Thanks for the photos!

B

Happy to see you're back, man.
Very nice new pieces, especially the little fellow: his eyes and teeth are pretty well carved.
Did you burn the wood or stain it?

S

Right on nice tiki's. Good to see tiki carving going on in Sweden.

TheBigT >> Thanks a lot! I also envy that work enviroment. :wink:
It´s at my friends moms place out in the countryside. We went there 6-7 times this summer. Now it´s cold and I´m back in my basement.

Benella>> Thank you Ben! The big one is burned (chared) and then brushed clean with a rotating steel brush.
The small one i just "practice burned" with a new small burner.

seeksurf> Thanks! We don´t have a scene in Sweden but I´m trying to create something over here. :)

B

Excellent carvings there Dreamer, i Love the hacked up mask, Daring and brave with super results. Way to go!

Hello everybody!
Indoor season has begun. We had our first snow this week.
I´ve been busy in spare time down in my underground workshop since earlier this fall.
Here´s the result so far.

The big nostrils will hold a bone or tusk of some sort. This is a commision work for a tattoo studio. He wanted just the face, otherwise i would have gone for a whole body tiki. Well, a tattoo and some exposure for my work for me and a tiki for him, a fair deal.
Comments are more than welcome.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-11-09 11:47 ]

S

Tikidreams, Very nice he looks big, love the nose.
You must not be maried from the looks of the house carving room going
on. Good to see a post.

B

I'm speechless. Amazing.
The nostrils are just top shelf and the idea of a "piercing" is coooooool !
How will you finish it ?
Waiting for the next steps :wink:

Ben

B

This Ben can't wait to see how you will finish this guy up too! He has lots of potential and looks like he is heading for a Lots of tatts..

H

Your work is great, you have a great talent for carving and design. Keep on posting pictures of your carvings we love it.

I'd like to see more of that carving dungeon! Wear your mask!

seeksurf> Thank you for the kind words. As a matter of fact, I´m not married. :)
But the carving room I rent downtown Västerås. It´s in an apartment building so taht constricts my working hours quite a lot.

Benella>> Thank you Ben! It will be stained light brown with some contrasting darker brown i think. I think i will try and wax it afterwards. Haven´t tried that with a sculpture yet.

Benzart>> Thank you Ben! I´m glad you like it. He´s not heading for any tats, but I sure am. :P

Hiltiki>> Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot that some likeminded people are seeing my work. Tiki is small in Sweden.

Surfintiki>> Ok! I sure will. It really is a dungeon without a window. :wink:

T

heyho.
Looks really great so far. I wonder, how you will hammer out the teeth?

In comparison to the size of your workbench (nearly the same as mine, by the way), this guy must be ca. 1 meter ( 3,2 ft.) or higher, am I right?
Your workplace looks a bit like a music practice place or a studio, what one can see behind the tarp. It´s a nice idea, that kind of noise insulation in a "carving"-dungeon.

Keep it psycho....

tok-tok>>
I´m not sure I will hammer out the teeth, thinking of keeping it as it is.
Your guess about the size is just about correct I think.

My friends who plays in bands just laugh when they see my insulation. :)
Just like a rehearsing room for a garage band. But it really needed it, the acoustics of the room was terrible. Hammering a chisel was like hammering your eardrums straight on.

Thanks for your kind words!

Welcome to my underground carving dungeon...

A tiki in the making. A rare Swedish/Polynesian breed.

Up close you might See the fruits of my labor since my last update. The attempt on pyramid pattern was a bit of a disaster in pine.

From the tiki´s point of view.

What a mess!

B

:o

Thanks for the visit !
Super dungeon indeed.
Do you have Pfeil toolz ? :)

Ben

P.S: By the way the tiki is top shelf !

Pages: 1 2 54 replies