Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Reel to reel twin-pack Martin Denny

Pages: 1 4 replies

T
twitch posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2007 7:49 PM

Just came across this on Ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Martin-Denny-Exotica-Lounge-Stereo-Reel-To-Reel-Tape_W0QQitemZ150139731070QQihZ005QQcategoryZ618QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Anyone have it? Really nice picture - I've never seen that cover before so I'm guessing it's for this release only?
I'm tempted to get it, but then I'd have to do a search for a cheap reel-player.

That photo is on the back of the "The BEST of MARTIN DENNY" LP, a compilation record of 12 of his first albums. I have seen it published in Lounge articles/ books before, and it will be in TIKI MODERN, too. But the added title and the graphics here (the world map, and bamboo font) really make this a great image, I wish I would have had it for the book. It would have fit well, after all the book is subtitled "The Wild World of Witco" and has the Witco world as end papers!

Great image. Too bad the collection is drawn from the period after MD had checked out.

K
Klas posted on Tue, Jul 10, 2007 11:15 PM

The photo can also be found on the back cover of "The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny" CD put out by Rev-Ola.

Wow! I love finding stuff on open reel. I own a studio and have an area of the control room dedicated to a "dead format rack". My wife just found this in one of the off the path shops she hits as a set designer.

It was in incredibly good shape and transferred to CD just fine! A good vinyl LP will last longer but, if the oxide isn't damp or falling off the tape, open reel sounds SOOOOOO much better. I might have to bid on that bad boy!

Tiki Bill.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2007-07-12 11:27 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies