Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

? for the Stoners;)

Pages: 1 0 replies

Aloha stoners! I'm hoping one of you might be able to answer a question for me. I have just moved to Kentucky, from here on out to be known as Ken-TIKI, and I have an absolutely amazing assortment of rocks. Some of the coolest is the limestone convered in coral and seashells(see picture below), but there's also a nice assortment of flint. Well, I'm not sure what's flint, chert, or jasper or if they're all flint, just different types.

The question is can this stuff be carved, maybe like the jade is. I've seen a couple of things that have been knapped (I think that's the right word for it), or chipped like arrow heads were. But I'd like to do something like figures, smoothed and detailed, eventually. Hopefully one, or more, of you can educate me. There's some really nice dark and light gray striped pieces.

As to the limestone. Coral and shells you say?????? In Ken-TIKI??????????????? How can it be, it's landlocked??????????? Well, apparently 350,000,000 (three hundred and fifty MILLION!) years ago Ken-TIKI was a tropical, undersea wonderland. So these bits and pieces are approximately 350,000,000 (can I emphasize MILLION?)years old. The piece in the picture is on a piece of stone about 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall. The top 4 feet or so are covered. The upside down looking circle piece is slightly larger than a siver dollar, maybe 2 to 3 inches across. They were all buried untill they cut into the hill for our foundation and up the hill for our water lines.

Pages: 1 0 replies