Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hot Rod Hula Hop 3, August 10th and 11th, Columbus, OH

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

Hey folks,

In case you didn't know, the annual Hot Rod Hula Hop is coming up in one month!!

Sponsored by Tiki Magazine and the Fraternal Order of Moai the Hot Rod Hula Hop is a celebration of Hot Rod and Tiki Cultures. This year looks like a spectacular event with Friday night starting off wth "The Feast of the Tiki Gods" at the Tropical Bistro. Special Guests include Fisherman New York), Francis Llacuna (famed Hawaiian guitarist), and Leilani (Hula Dancing). Saturday nights main event will be held at Largo's Tavern in Dublin, and has a stellar line-up of bands. Lots of vendors too!!

Please visit the website at http://www.hotrodhulahop.com for all the details.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K

Thanks Jeff!

Yes folks, this year the Saturday night band lineup alone is more than worth the paltry sum of $15 you will pay to see...

Fisherman

The Coffin Daggers

Daikaiju

The Heptanes

The Madeira

and Lucky 7

Along with the fabulous ladies of Barnyard Burlesque!

Spinning platters in the DJ booth this year will be Mr. Jet Sterling and his brothers in arms from The Surfabilly Freakout radio show! And we'll also be treated to a mix session by returning champion of all things bizzarre and obscure, DJ Hi Fi Hijinx!

Our emcee duties will be aptly handled by the inexhaustible master showman Zombo!

Be sure to pick up this years HRHH3 mug, designed by our very own Cap'n Skully! (And I'll tell ya, it is really something special)

Not to mention tiki carvers, vendors of all sorts, a lot full of pre 65 traditional hot rods and kustoms, tropical drinks made from authentic vintage recipes, great food, and all the general weirdness you have come to expect from the Hot Rod Hula Hop!

http://www.hotrodhulahop.com

Hope to see you there!

Ahu

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 12:40 ]

We went last year and had a blast!Looking forward to meeting up with everybody again this year!

T

This will be our 1st year. Can't wait to meet up with y'all.

Looks like a LOT of out-of-towners coming too!!

We have Chip and Andy, Loki and Stumpgrinder and a few others from the Gumbo Limbo chapter of the FOM. Also Formakahini from Texas and Purple Jade from Louisiana!!

This is going to be LOTS of fun!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org

not to mention TURBOgod, P.O.T.T. and mee from da east koast...

ahem

On 2007-07-19 09:50, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

ahem

wot, you ain't coast - you a motowner...

watch your back J$...

OH ain't big enough for the both of us.

On 2007-07-19 11:16, Johnny Dollar wrote:
dude

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:US_map-East_Coast.png

no mitten

I wasn't even talkin bout yo bitch-ass comment, simply announcing my intention to attend. you gotta problem with that Mary land boy?

no problem.

we'll sort out the rest during our ohio ninja kung-fu steel cage death match.

we now return this thread to its regularly programmed schedule

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2007-07-19 11:43 ]

We'll be there and we're goina' be vending on Saturday. We're bringing out abuncho cool vintage stuff, as well as some hawaiian shirts, vintage hawaiian dresses, tiki, swag lamps and vintage purses. Be sure to stop by and say hey! This looks to be a great time, with a fantastic line up of entertainment.
D&C

I'm so glad that Bamboo lodge will be vending! I loved your booth at Exotica! Very cool vintage stuff! Can't wait to see what I can find this time.

K

uhm..

A bit odd to name drop attendees. Let's refrain, shall we?

Thank you,

Ahu (you guys are a freakin' buncha goddamned weirdos)

K

...but I still love ya though.

On 2007-07-16 04:23, tikiskip wrote:
Hey Skully are you going to sell your prints there?

Yes- I'll have some there. I'm also adding one for the raffle.

Looking forward to it! I just missed it last year when I moved up.

I heard there is a cool mug in the works too! :wink:

Two weeks and counting!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

the cocktail for the new mug is called 'the name dropper'

j/k

I'll be there. good times.

On 2007-07-20 09:27, exotica59 wrote:

Can't wait to see what I can find this time.

probably the stuff that didn't sell at exotica!! LOL!....seriously, they'll probably have a bunch of new items and maybe i'll finally buy that tiki mug i've had my eye on for the past few events....they did have an awesome selection of hawaiian shirts too!!

On 2007-07-19 15:30, BambooLodge wrote:
We'll be there and we're goina' be vending on Saturday. We're bringing out abuncho cool vintage stuff, as well as some hawaiian shirts, vintage hawaiian dresses, tiki, swag lamps and vintage purses.
AAAAAAaaagh!

And here I thought I was gonna get outta this event relatively cheaply! HA!!

Pulling out the extra bucks & travel bubble wrap again, dammit,
F

On 2007-07-26 11:58, Johnny Dollar wrote:
the cocktail for the new mug is called 'the name dropper'
I'll make sure and have one with (in secret code so as not to drop any more names of attendees) "Bames Beitelbaum" who's also coming.
Is Bern from Birginia/D.C. also?

Bormikahini

just bought my tickets for Friday night and Saturdays events and booked our room. Anybody else staying at the Red Roof?

ya mo' be there!! got tickets today....

T

w/o dropping names, I know of at least 4 other people staying at the Red Roof Inn.

I wish I could attend the event this year, have a great time everyone!

On 2007-07-31 07:31, Turbogod wrote:
w/o dropping names, I know of at least 4 other people staying at the Red Roof Inn.

I don't want to drop names, I want to pick some up......

Is anybody flying in for the event? When do you get in? More specifically, we get in Thursday about noon and will be looking for some kind soul to meet us at the airport and be our local guide to the Red Roof Inn (by way of a local liquor store and any interesting bars between the airport and hotel :wink:).

K

Chip,

A certain person with which you cohabitate (name withheld) has my number. Call me when you hit town and I'll try to arrange something if I can.

Name Withheld

maybe we should have named this event 'alcoholics anonymous...'

UB

On 2007-08-01 13:56, Johnny Dollar wrote:

God damn JD does it again!
I was thinking of a smart ass remark to your cool response (as usual), and I thought of Alcoholics Unanimous.

Look what came up at http://www.alcoholicsunanimous.com

Ironic word links.

On 2007-08-01 13:56, Johnny Dollar wrote:

I am not an alcoholic. They go to meetings. I am a lush, I go to bars.

(P.C. Disclaimer.... If you are an alcoholic and are going to meetings, right on. My being a lush is in no way a judgement of your choice to drink or not. If you don't drink that just means there is more for me :wink: )

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-08-01 19:15 ]

K

Well, I for one would just enjoy seeing all you lushes and alcoholics get together for an anonymous meeting of unanimous and magnanimous gregariousness with zero disingenuousness.

Oh, and can somebody please bring a thesaurus for us? Poor us.

Ahu

HC

my thesaurus is porous ....so I won't be able to "strain" the English language any better .........am so looking forward to the "hop"pining in Columbus!
Aloha!

K

Well then.. score us this porous thesaurus, grab your pal Horace, hop on the bus and join the chorus!

Ahorus

HEADS UP...............

Only 20 tickets remain for the Friday night (August 10th) "Feast of the Tiki Gods."

If you are planning on going to this event I would plan on buying your ticket NOW!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

This looks awesome! I'm going to try to make it to the Sat events. Maybe I can even convince my wife to go too. Just up the road!

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 12:42 ]

K

Ahahahaha!

I love that picture!

Forgot all about that! Damn was I drunk.

Ahu

L
Loki posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 11:42 AM

Hey is that Capt. Nemo?

Cant wait...see you clowns soon.

T

Um yeah.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 12:44 ]

T

Missed it.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 12:45 ]

T

On 2007-07-30 19:56, exotica59 wrote:
just bought my tickets for Friday night and Saturdays events and booked our room. Anybody else staying at the Red Roof?

Savage Patty and I will be there. See you sometime on friday!

Just bought my tix for 'the Feast' on Friday. It was a great time last year and is sure to be again! Saturday will be a blast - really looking forward to seeing the bands - great line-up! Our group is at the Red Roof too...see you there.

K

Friday is all but sold out folks. I expect to take the Paypal down this weekend.

If you have not gotten tix for Friday, you may be too late. I'll be talking to Jeff here shortly, and we'll see what he has left... but I suspect that they are gone.

If you absolutely must attend Friday and you missed getting a ticket (after the Paypal is pulled), you may email me or Jeff to see if anything can be done.

Ahu

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2007-08-04 18:20 ]

The Feast of the Tiki Gods on August 10th is officially "SOLD OUT." There are still tickets for the Saturday main event though!!!

A BIG thanks to everyone who bought their tickets in advance!

This is going to be a GREAT party!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K

Saturday tickets are also going fast. We do have a limited capacity for that show as well, so you might want to get advance tickets. Once we reach that magic number, no more wrist bands will be released unless people leave.

The weather forecast looks good, and everything is in place.

We'll see you this Friday!

Ahu

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2007-08-05 17:08 ]

Pages: 1 2 85 replies