Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Liquor Control Board of Ontario

Pages: 1 17 replies

Based on research, is this the only place in Ontario that sells hard liquor? I did some reading and it seems that Ontario only has government-owned liquor stores and beer stores...
Not that I'm complaining - I got some havana club 7 anos rum with no restriction so that was cool, but the prices here are high. Granted, not as high as I've paid in the past but I was hoping to see a bigger difference between the blanco and 7 year than 4.00.

It was a few years back, but I remember having to go to special stores to get hooch on PEI, and NS, but maybe I just never went to a good grocery store.

Do you get any local screech? That's the stuff Mister!

T

The LCBO is the only place where you can purchase liquor in Ontario, hence the 'control' aspect of the name. Living in Ontario, I can tell you that if you want to purchase any liquor, you don't have a choice.

This sucks Big Time.

I've long gotten used to the fact that there is no competition and the government taxes liquor heavily. Unfortunately, it's a way of life in this province. My particular beef is that if you want to purchase anything that the LCBO doesn't normally sell, you still have to purchase through them....and the minimum order is one case. I purchased a case of Woods Old Navy rum recently, and had to split the order with three other people! There are lots of liquors that I've seen online, that I would like to try, but not an entire case. The LCBO, like most government-run agencies, does not move very quickly.

In short: if you want to buy liquor in Ontario, then you buy it when, where and at a price that the LCBO dictates. Otherwise, shut up and sit down.

I'll get off my soapbox now.....

tikitor,

I understand your frustration. However, the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

Several years ago BC went from being a Government liquor store only province, to allowing privately owned and operated shops as well. However, all alcohol that comes into the country is still dictated by the government, so nothing new is available through them. Sure there is a little competition, but nothing more than a few cents in either direction.

See what is available in my province here:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en

The Rum list, 107 items:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products?keyword=rum

Hey, it's all good. I was able to get what I wanted. I will say this much - the staff in the stores are very friendly and make sure you are able to find what you are looking for. Not like at home where they don't give two sh*ts.

I'll be sneaking a few bottles across the border and hiding it well just incase.

D

Canada sounds a lot like the Washington State Liquor Board. but at least you can get Cuban Rum!

hey.. i thought Beachbum said Lemon Hart Dark was available in Canada, but my pals in Victoria, Vancouver and Edmonton cant find it.. what aboot Ontario?

T

Think I'll be picking up some Lemon Hart tomorrow - I'll be going for the dark or 151 if they have it.
Just another li'l gripe about the BC liquor stores - if none of your local branches carry what you want, you can put an order through for the item through their product guide, but you have to order and pay for an entire case of an item, not just single bottles...
Good if you're dripping with cash, but otherwise...

T

Lemon Hart isn't available in Ontario. I suppose I should be happy that I can get Cuban rum. I just wish I had a wider variety.

Received this http://www.lcbo.com/entry.html catalog (copyright 2012), and a few selections follow...

Just as a heads-up, the LCBO currently has a "limited quantities available" stock of Smith & Cross. I'm definitely grabbing a couple.

To avoid outages, I can work with you to set up a model train track transport system from this end! :wink:

I picked up a bottle of the Smith & Cross the other day. Tasty stuff. I'll have to get a couple more, before it goes away.

Hey, that's total BS! We can't even get Smith & Cross in Alberta! Since when does the LCBO make the AGLC look bad...

On 2012-10-24 20:45, Brandomoai wrote:
Hey, that's total BS! We can't even get Smith & Cross in Alberta! Since when does the LCBO make the AGLC look bad...

I'd be happy to discuss a Smith & Cross - Lemon Hart 151 swap. :D

Random question, can LCBO still take special orders for Wood's Old Navy?

-Rev

On 2012-10-25 18:59, rev_thumper wrote:
Random question, can LCBO still take special orders for Wood's Old Navy?

-Rev

The LCBO will take special orders for any kind of liquor, including Wood's. You can find out more about private ordering here: http://www.lcbo.com/programs_services/private_ordering/content_priv_ordering.shtml

And no, I don't work for them. I've just had to deal with these twits before.

On 2012-10-25 13:17, poutineki wrote:

Now, that's an interesting proposition...

On 2012-10-28 16:44, Brandomoai wrote:

On 2012-10-25 13:17, poutineki wrote:

Now, that's an interesting proposition...

Ye ol' rum swap! :D

[ Edited by: poutineki 2012-10-30 14:12 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies