Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

identify.. african or south pacific?

Pages: 1 11 replies

O

These were featured in my Grandparents dining room as long as I can remember, and they were old then.. so they are probably 50s vintage, or so..

Anyone know where they might have come from?

Thanks!

Out of the Woods

i have the same exact things.

i figured they were ebonized wood from africa.

O

On 2007-07-16 13:29, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i have the same exact things.

i figured they were ebonized wood from africa.

Heh. I didn't figure they were rare or anything. We always called them "the Ubangys" actually. But I wasn't actually sure.

Shame, too.. I got those.. but all the retro stuff that was kicking around the house was thrown away years ago by my Grand dad after my gramma died.. all the paddles and clubs and accumulated crap my Uncle brought home during 30 years in the AirForce.

(of course, I wasn't the slightest bit interested in them at that time.)

OotWoods

On 2007-07-16 13:17, ootwoods wrote:
These were featured in my Grandparents dining room as long as I can remember, and they were old then.. so they are probably 50s vintage, or so..

Anyone know where they might have come from?

Thanks!

Out of the Woods

I saw a set about a month ago at the Northpoint Fleamarket in Baltimore. They're definitly African... but beyond that I couldn't tell you.

HC

from Kenya is my best guess

aloha

TB

African. I have the same set. But keep in mind, Africa was a major trading area way back then, it's an exotic location, and it's hand carved by one of the locals there, so it still fits into the tiki genre so to speak.

Tiki Bill.

my mom got her set and a mask from nairobi still cool though..bab

UT

I picked this guy up today. A bout 12" tall and has a great old patina. Also had a rusty wire around his neck like he had been hung on a nail for years judging from the layer of dust. Now , is he African or Polynesian?

African

T

I live in Pennsylvania. My neighbors movedto Florida and when they did the gave me thier wall hanging that I always admitred. They couldnt tell me much about it except that they had it for at least 40 years and it belonged to her mother in law. On the back it is carved SOCHA 1956. Anyone with any ideas? I love him, but I want to know more!

On 2012-01-25 20:44, taralynn wrote:
I live in Pennsylvania. My neighbors movedto Florida and when they did the gave me thier wall hanging that I always admitred. They couldnt tell me much about it except that they had it for at least 40 years and it belonged to her mother in law. On the back it is carved SOCHA 1956. Anyone with any ideas? I love him, but I want to know more!

It looks African to me. The name Socha is German / Prussian which is most common in PA & NY compared to other states.

Socha....nevva hoid of it! Not uttered in my fatherland, probably slavic. As the ol' Prussians used to say:

"Suum cuique" -To each his own

As for the carving: I almost guessed it to be Tiki, but the date is a bit too early for it to be a Tiki Mod/Prim piece.
What kind of camera was used for those pics - a thermographic scanner? :wink:

Pages: 1 11 replies