Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Phoney Vintage Mugs

Pages: 1 11 replies

Cruising eBay today, found these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320138034343&rd=1&rd=1

Told the seller that it wasn't vintage, and that you can pick them up for about a dollar a piece at Dollar Tree.

Nasty response ensued.

Caveat Empor

I've also told sellers on eBay that their items were not, in fact, "vintage"...and I've also got nasty responses!! I can't help myself; I just feel that these people are trying to rip off new tikiphiles. I guess there's nothing really you can do about it except watch your own bidding and try to warn others.

You know I still haven't seen those Libbey mugs at our local Dollar Trees. I wonder if the frat boys bought them all to drink beer from.

On 2007-07-17 19:45, Krakatowa wrote:

Told the seller that it wasn't vintage, and that you can pick them up for about a dollar a piece at Dollar Tree.

Where do you think she/he bought 'em?! I'm sure she thought them an easy turn around. "Hey, I'm just trying to make a living here, bub!"

...Some people have no shame....

..i find it's always fun to inform the high bidder that what they are bidding on isn't the real deal....

I

I think these items are reportable to eBay (or wherever they're being sold) that they're fakes, or that the seller may not be aware that they're not vintage, etc. On eBay, people have had their listings shut down for keyword spamming in the titles or having just an image of a link (like a web site address in a photograph), so I think something as serious as selling fakes, forgeries, etc. would be dealt with similarly.

However, to be fair, unless the exact same product can be definitely found to prove that the items aren't vintage, which could then be submitted to eBay as proof, I'd suggest leaving this auction and the seller alone. Not that eBay wouldn't shut this down without evidence (they've been known to).

Take care,

I.

S

Where do you think she/he bought 'em?! I'm sure she thought them an easy turn around. "Hey, I'm just trying to make a living here, bub!"

Well, according to the seller:

Q: How old are the mugs? Do you know if they were from a restaurant? Thanks!
A: Hi, I'm not sure if these are from a restaurant. I got them from this older lady at a garage sale and she told me they were from the late '60's or early 70's. She also told me they were never used and sat in her hutch and that's why she was selling them. Thanks for your inquiry. Sincerely, Dana

Older lady? Isn't that phrase used by car salesmen?

Q: How old are the mugs? Do you know if they were from a restaurant? Thanks!
A: Hi, I'm not sure if these are from a restaurant. I got them from this older lady at a garage sale and she told me they were from the late '60's or early 70's. She also told me they were never used and sat in her hutch and that's why she was selling them. Thanks for your inquiry. Sincerely, Dana

Older lady? Isn't that phrase used by car salesmen?

Some poor sap bid on them... if I didn't have ethics I'd go to dollar tree and start selling technicolor tiki tumblers, resin ku's, and libbey stuff and make a fortune.

T

Hang on there class. These mugs are from DC's Famous Felon: I. Lewis Libbey aka: 'Scooter' Such a deal !!!

On 2007-07-19 20:57, TikiLaLe wrote:
Hang on there class. These mugs are from DC's Famous Felon: I. Lewis Libbey aka: 'Scooter' Such a deal !!!

Does that means the auctioneer will commute the mugs' sentence?

If it'll put a little more dough in the owners pocket, that'll be a big ol'Righty-O!

I just report the fraudulent auctions to ebay direct...The other day I was about to bid on an item that weighed about 8 pounds at a bid starting at $9.99(It was worth $65), and they had the shipping charge of $130 semi-hidden. Mind you the item came in its original box, so all they were going to do is throw shipping paper over the orig box and send it out...Now the auctioner added shipping will be actual price since ebay got a hold of them...Also be wary of some merchandise being bootlegged and reproductioned. Ebay has been really hit with fraud as of late, and it's not so much the fake accounts anymore...Now its gone to the bootleggers. Prada, when its really Frada, Nike, when its really Niky and so on...Becareful bidding and buyer beware until they can get a handle on this.

Pages: 1 11 replies