Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mid Century Hawaii Architecture

Pages: 1 3 replies

I found this article on past mid-century Hawaiian architecture and while almost all the buildings are gone it's good to know they once existed and interesting to see non tiki Wimberly and Cook examples.

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/articles.aspx?id=3809&q=&m=5&y=2006&bid=1

C

Very nice - thanks for posting the link :)

M

While Bakersfield is certainly NOT Hawaii--if it were my house would be worth probably two million lol--Bakersfield has been into mid-century eradication. Here we enshrine a largely fake vision of our town from the 1800's. I say fake because our Pioneer Village has replicas of buildings from the late 1800's that are all done up country chic.

Mid-century put Bakersfield on the map and we had our share of amoeba, tiki, etc. Lanai Gardens has been shown on a thread here. Nevertheless, bit by bit the mid-century and tiki has been replaced by nondescript strip buildings painted baby poop yellow and shades of brown.

Some treasures remain and I attempt to chronicle them in my little zine. Many of the cool builings fell or are falling into ill repute and they are either bull dozed to make way for new WalMarts or they decay and burn to the ground. I really need to go and get more pictures of them.

We all need to preserve evidence of these buildings before they disappear. I loved the pictures of Hawaiian examples.

The Copacabana/Royal Palms was quite tiki in its day. Grab shot:

T

Hey, you gave my record a bump...THANX!

I've visited your blog before. Good stuff. Maybe one day people will wake up to the importance of MCM architecture and design, and stop knocking down the remaining fine examples of the a time when America was in a true renaissance period,

I mean, television, "gadget convenience", jet air travel, popoular music...it was the dawn of a new era, and people are whisking away it's remaining architecural artifacts.

And, I couldn't think of the right name for the color paint they use on homes know, but "baby poop yellow" sums it up perfectly !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-07-20 08:29 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies