Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

tikiyaki orchestra on tikibar tv

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

The new episode of TikiBar TV #27 features the track "Ali'i Fire Dance" from "StereoExotique"

Check it out !

http://www.tikibartv.com/tikibar_display.php?pver=qh&vid=32

Way to go Tikiyaki! Hope they gave you a credit at the end of the show.

Tiki Bill.

On 2007-07-18 10:12, Tiki Bill wrote:
Way to go Tikiyaki! Hope they gave you a credit at the end of the show.

Tiki Bill.

Me too !

Mahalo Bill. By the way...your Tiki House is A-MAZ-ING !

K

I caught it as soon as I saw the episode. Congrats!

S

Dang work firewall..I cant view it..Oh well..Congrats thats really cool..

TB

BTW Tikiyaki, are you registered with any music org. like ASCAP or BMI? I'm with ASCAP, and I make my living on licensing music to TV and film stuff. I NEVER sell the ownership of my music, just the broadcast and sync. rights to use a song in a production. The show producer pays a license fee, then when the show airs,(broadcast, cable, or Internet) if the station sells "on air" ad space, the station has to pay ASCAP (then ASCAP pays you) a fee for every play on that station. The show producer is also responsible for submitting cue sheets to the station, and then the station to ASCAP, listing what songs were used, how they were used (opening theme, background, etc.), and how long they were used. You get enough music in TV shows and commercials that play allot, and it can really add up. And as much as I hate to see infomercials on TV, I LOVE it when they use tunes from my on-line music library. I'm not ashamed to say that most of the music you hear in the background of spots with Billy Mays selling Oxi Clean, is from my generic "cheeze music" library. Sometimes, those spots running enough can pay my bills for a month. It's not always the most fun music to write, but it beats flippin' burgers.
if you have any questions, you can e mail me directly at
[email protected]

Keep it up,

Tiki Bill.

On 2007-07-19 09:36, Tiki Bill wrote:
BTW Tikiyaki, are you registered with any music org. like ASCAP or BMI? I'm with ASCAP, and I make my living on licensing music to TV and film stuff. I NEVER sell the ownership of my music, just the broadcast and sync. rights to use a song in a production. The show producer pays a license fee, then when the show airs,(broadcast, cable, or Internet) if the station sells "on air" ad space, the station has to pay ASCAP (then ASCAP pays you) a fee for every play on that station. The show producer is also responsible for submitting cue sheets to the station, and then the station to ASCAP, listing what songs were used, how they were used (opening theme, background, etc.), and how long they were used. You get enough music in TV shows and commercials that play allot, and it can really add up. And as much as I hate to see infomercials on TV, I LOVE it when they use tunes from my on-line music library. I'm not ashamed to say that most of the music you hear in the background of spots with Billy Mays selling Oxi Clean, is from my generic "cheeze music" library. Sometimes, those spots running enough can pay my bills for a month. It's not always the most fun music to write, but it beats flippin' burgers.
if you have any questions, you can e mail me directly at
[email protected]

Keep it up,

Tiki Bill.

Me and you are in the same business Bill....

http://www.cuefactory.com

I make my living from TV placements, commercials (wish I could get MORE of those), films (wish I had more of those too)....Mostly I've been earning from TV placements...Anything you see on Network TV that plays rock and pop music probably has had one of my tracks in it. MTV and Cable shows...I do tracks for music libraries...whatever. I've come to know the BMI payment dates,as they've been what's p[aying my rent.

Of course, you always have to find new avenues of revenue...being self employed also means that I have to do other stuff to keep things floating, so I do mastering, mixes, graphic artwork, like CD covers, etc....whatever keeps the lights on, puts food on the table, and keeps my Hawaii trips funded :)

The best thing about music placement is, you make the track once, and it earns money over and over....making it "passive income"....income you earn without physically doing any work....similar toi income property, stocks etc....Only you can't LOSE any money, like the stock market....only gain, IF it gets used.

The key, I've found, is to have as much stuff out there as possible working for you...it's a numbers game...As the networks and ad agencies get more frugal with the budgets, the more stuff you need out there. It ain't making me rich, but it's paying the bills...of course, you always hope for that big Car or cereal ad that pays the BIG paycheck, but the more you have out there, the better.

Anyway, so, you and me are in the same business, as I said. The Tikiyaki Orchestra is obviously a passion project, but, rest assured, I will use all those tracks for placements for anyone who is willing to pay for them...and in the case of TIKI TV, or the DVD of TIKI....contribution is ok too, cos, they're projects that involve TIKI, which is OK cos I like the cause.

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
http://www.tikiyaki.wordpress.com
http://www.cuefactory.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-07-19 10:42 ]

I followed the link. I tried to listen to the music. But when that girl comes on the screen.... Listen, is she the most attractive woman in the History of Universe (Mrs. Pappy excepting) or is it just me?

Anyway, assuming your music made Tiki Bar TV--Congrats, Tikiyaki!

I'm the same way. I do lots of "freebees" for friends and fun projects. Sounds like you know the "biz" already. I just mentioned that because I hate to see artists get bent over, and and wasn't shure how long you had been in the "biz". Now, everyone buy this man's CD damnit!

Tiki Bill.

On 2007-07-19 10:46, pappythesailor wrote:
I followed the link. I tried to listen to the music. But when that girl comes on the screen.... Listen, is she the most attractive woman in the History of Universe (Mrs. Pappy excepting) or is it just me?

It's not just you. :wink:

TikiBill.

I definitely appreciate the heads up. I wish someone had told me years ago, that the way to actually make a living in music is through TV and film...not by being a "rock star". Better late than never, I guess.

How's business down in Florida ?

Believe it or not, Florida is the "infomercial capitol of the world". More of those things get produced here than L.A or New York combined. I've done a few custom pieces for those guys, but mostly they just hit up my library. I also do post audio for two "fishing shows" for Fox sports as kind of "regular gigs". I just finished a jingle for "Kaboom!", some kind of bathroom cleaner. I've done foley work and voice recording for several animated productions, including 2 full length 3D movies in the "Bug Rangers" (formaly known as "The Roach Approach") series. Sometimes it can be kind of ho-hum, but most of the time, it's fun and creative. The biz isn't as big as LA here, but I'm kind of a big fish here, and I'd just be a minow there. Forida is pretty laid back and the work just seems to just come to me. I like it here!

Tiki Bill.

Pages: 1 11 replies